Cleaning a grinder

JustPirates

So I finally got around to cleaning out my grinder a few minutes ago. I've had it for about 2 years now and have yet to clean it. It was starting to get to the point where it would stick when I would try to break up some bud so I figured it was about time.

What I did was took a sterile toothbrush and ran it across the bottom of the screen just to break it up a little bit. In the process of this alone I got about half a bowls worth, and when I opened the top everything was caked in kief.

So I went to the bathroom and seeing as it's the one time my house doesn't have any plastic baggies laying around I decided I was just going to take my alcohol (91% ISO) and pour it straight into the grinder. There was a surprisingly small amount of leakage, but if you're trying this I'd recommend that you hold your grinder over the sink. Now, I just gripped it super tight and shook the shit out of it for about 5 minutes. Unscrewed the bottom over a glass plate and gently let it pour in there.

It's currently sitting by the fan evaporating, I'll be sure to post how it goes.

Is there a better method then the one I used? Was it a bad idea to pour the alcohol straight into the grinder?

Re: cleaning a grinder...

Alright so it's all finished up. I ended up getting about a full bowl in the end... I'm estimating that it's somewhere around .5 g worth of kief. All in all it ended up taking me an hour and now I have a sparkly clean grinder and a full bowl of kief that is sure to last me at least a couple hours. See what a little hard work will get ya?

grinder_kief_1.jpg

grinder_kief_2.jpg

are you talking like oil to make edibles with? If that's the case I'm pretty sure you're not looking to use any kind of alcohol, I'd go with Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) if I were you. Check out the 420 kitchen, they have a lot of info in there on making oil and butter.

hey guys. i was going to say you can use isopropyl alcohol to clean that grinder too. get the 99% isopropyl and you can just soak the grinder in it for a minute or 2. then evaporate it with a fan or a heating pad...it will take a few hours but you wont have to scrub for an hour.

isopropyl is also great for making hash oil (use the 99% only) just soak the buds in it for 30 seconds for the best oil or 10mins-1hour for more oil but of less quality

Re: cleaning a grinder.

Great stoners think alike!! I to cleaned my grinder,i was out of weed and decided to check my grinder and what do you know it was caked with kief.I did not do the alcohol method,just a tooth brush (New).I got two descent bong loads!!All i could say is WOW that kief was the SHIZZNITLE BAM !! I was stuck on my couch Havent got that stoned in a long time!!

My buddy has a grinder with a kief screen in the bottom. He's been using it so long, he now has a little glass jar he keeps his kief in, has to be like 1/4-1/2 cupof the stuff hes got saved!!!!!! Puts a little spoonful on top of bowlpacks for that extra kicks and WOOOO does it ever do the trick!!!!

Just remember dont put the flame directly to the Keif, it destroys it. Also Try putting a nickel or penny in the first stage of your grinder, where the screen is, assuming you have one. Everytime you grind up some bud give it a couple shakes and after an 1/8th you should have some beautiful keif stored up in the bottom of your grinder. I had a small grinder but with a very fine screen, all I can say is, wow, just wow. I was rolling up blunts, and sprinkling keify goodness all inside of them, it was like a heavenly suprise to my lungs.

Re: Cleaning a grinder.

Hey strangers!!! good to be back....man I was one sick pup...but I think I'rounding that curve with health on the other side!!!!! Question.......I have a small stainless steel grinder, the screen is caked with black gummy hash, but I can't get it off, I have tried a tooth brush, the edge of a razor (very carefully) a number of things and got very little of it off, you can't even see through the screen other than the edges its so caked. I thought of ISO, but I want to smoke it....can't I rinse it in a small bowl, then let the alcohol evaporate away and then smoke it? hate to waste it, but rather that than my lungs LOL..... lata gata

Hey strangers!!! good to be back....man I was one sick pup...but I think I'rounding that curve with health on the other side!!!!! Question.......I have a small stainless steel grinder, the screen is caked with black gummy hash, but I can't get it off, I have tried a tooth brush, the edge of a razor (very carefully) a number of things and got very little of it off, you can't even see through the screen other than the edges its so caked. I thought of ISO, but I want to smoke it....can't I rinse it in a small bowl, then let the alcohol evaporate away and then smoke it? hate to waste it, but rather that than my lungs LOL..... lata gata

I'm doing the isopropyl alcohol wash of my grinder, just letting it evaporate now, on a glass plate. Got the plate sitting on two external hard drives, because they're always warm. As long as you let it evaporate completely, patiently, it'll be safe, and delicious, too! It's kinda like watching paint dry, not very fun after you put it in the plate, but once it's dry and ya scrape it up, you can even press it into cakes. Now, if there's any plant matter that isn't trichomes on the plate after dumping the alcohol into it, don't worry; if it got soaked with the THC-infused alcohol, when it's dry, it'll be covered in THC, too. So to answer your question a year later, Tricks, yes, you can rinse it in a bowl with isopropyl alcohol, dump the mix to a plate, let it evaporate, scrape it up and smoke it. ;)

To make it easy on yourself, use as little alcohol as you need to get the job done. Any excess will simply dilute the thc (while it's wet) and spread out further on the plate, and take longer to dry. Less alcohol means concentrated mix in smaller area on plate, quicker to dry, and easier to scrape than a large area.

There's still a bunch of goo stuck to the plate I was using. I already scraped it once and got about a half gram of stuff, about half of it yellowish/light brown, the other half a dark green/almost black. It tasted like hashish when smoked. I wish I had a proper rig for concentrates, however. It's not as effective to goo up your flowers in a bowl, or mix chunks of hash with flowers, I've found. A purpose-built extract rig should be many times more effective. It still got me very high and stoned, but I think I burned a lot of it up without smoke/vapors.

On another note, I put a shiny 2014 nickel into my grinder a few days ago. Already there were a good pile of trichomes under the kief screen, and much less plant matter. A very good ratio, the stuff was almost light tan-colored. I'm going to let it build up, but I had to taste it. It tastes like the first hash hit I ever tasted. :) For the rest of it, I'm going to let it build up at least until next cleaning, or until I get a rig I can better use it with.

If you smoke dabs at all, then def suggest you grab a zip lock baggie and break down your grinder putting all the parts inside the bag, then fill it with isopropyl 99% and wiggle it around for a minute, then taking a brown coffee filter strain the iso into your glass dish, from there evaporate with low heat or just a fan and then scrape it and vape it! When you wash the kief in any solvent you strip off the THC out of it, so scraping it up caused the honey oil you made to get mixed in with it, but it was the sticky stuff on the bottom of the glass dish that had the good stuff in it! This is like the technique to make Rick Simpson's honey oil for cancer treatments, but stay away from heating it up over 100 degrees otherwise you lose the good tasting terps!

Many of the grinders these days are quite easy to clean with a little isopropyl. I have the Space Case and even though you have to pay A LOT more for it than a normal cheap $10 grinder, it is worth paying for the quality.

I'm doing the isopropyl alcohol wash of my grinder, just letting it evaporate now, on a glass plate. Got the plate sitting on two external hard drives, because they're always warm. As long as you let it evaporate completely, patiently, it'll be safe, and delicious, too! It's kinda like watching paint dry, not very fun after you put it in the plate, but once it's dry and ya scrape it up, you can even press it into cakes. Now, if there's any plant matter that isn't trichomes on the plate after dumping the alcohol into it, don't worry; if it got soaked with the THC-infused alcohol, when it's dry, it'll be covered in THC, too. So to answer your question a year later, Tricks, yes, you can rinse it in a bowl with isopropyl alcohol, dump the mix to a plate, let it evaporate, scrape it up and smoke it. ;)

To make it easy on yourself, use as little alcohol as you need to get the job done. Any excess will simply dilute the thc (while it's wet) and spread out further on the plate, and take longer to dry. Less alcohol means concentrated mix in smaller area on plate, quicker to dry, and easier to scrape than a large area.

I have a quick question about this. My brother and I are doing this and we noticed the alcohol we used has turned a fairly muddy brown. Is that normal? We were expecting it to look more green. Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom