Diy led grow light

BlaccSmoke

Hey all I'm looking for a little bit of help with my DIY grow light. I plan on using chip on board leds but my main problem is matching the leds to a driver. Can someone please explain things to me in the simplest way possible?
My plan was to have 2 x Cob1 and 3 x Cob2 to per driver as the wattage matched perfectly. I'm not sure about the mA though (not sure workout what mA I need), I'm also unsure if the DC voltage will work but the only drivers with the DC voltage range I need have 2 to 3 times more wattage then I need. PLEASE HELP A SIMPLE MAN WITH A SIMPLE MIND.. and yes before you all take shots at me I know I'm in over my head, I know there are plent of DIY lights out there and I have tried doing research but it's never really put into layman's terms.

Driver;

Input: AC 85~265V;
Output: DC 20~32V
600mA

Cob1;

DC 9~11V
300mA

Cob2;
DC 23~25V
300mA

:thanks: :Namaste:

I think it would be far better to go on amazon and just get a light, doing a DIY light properly is not easy, and you will start your grow faster. Also, you will likely not save any money DIY. Just my two cents. Good luck my friend!

Thanks for the reply. My problem is no led really meets my specific requirements and I'm also kind of looking for a bit of a challenge. I just really need the basic info before I order the wrong thing and I can get the rest right as I go. T5 (what I originally wanted) cost too much where I am even online. I don't like CFL. HID are too hot and cost too much on power bill, especially when adding cost of extra ventilation and the ballast and everything else.

My grow room is a funny shape as I kind of built it around the house in a sense. Basically my grow room is V shaped and odd dimensions. Also Cost of some led's are ridiculous.

On amazon you can get a great light for less than $100. Just get two, and start growing. I think LED projects are very difficult compared to other DIY projects.

I have gotten cheap no brand led's before never again. Last lot were through eBay but still... They were a nightmare!

I am sorry I cannot help more, maybe try a forum dedicated exclusively to DIY LED? Good luck and keep us updated on your L shaped room, that is a unique problem to tackle and surely a lot of people will appreciate your end results. Keep growing! :)

I am sorry I cannot help more, maybe try a forum dedicated exclusively to DIY LED? Good luck and keep us updated on your L shaped room, that is a unique problem to tackle and surely a lot of people will appreciate your end results. Keep growing! :)

No worries, thanks for taking the time out.
When I complete my light I was planning on making a step by step picture tutorial maybe even a few pics of what it can do.
Don't get me wrong with the grow room I could put a wall up and turn it into two seperate 3x5ft rooms.

I do "know" a respected grower around my area who could "help" me. I mean he is THE KING around here, I'm gonna see if I find a way to get his help or opinion. Problem is, he is known to be a little paranoid... understandably

Howdy.
I made myself a home made led light.
I probably spent about $350 on parts and whatnot, and in the end, it still wasn't as good as a commercial light.
The commercial lights are mass produced, and they buy their parts cheaper.

If you want my opinion, it's really not as much a money-saving endeavor as you may think, especially if you want
to make something decent that will last.

However, i love electronics, and building things, so i did enjoy making it, though it was very frustrating at times.
Especially when it has a fault. You will spend weeks if not months building and perfecting a custom light.
It will be expensive, and will take a lot of thought and calculations.

But if you are still keen to make one, i can offer some help, and i spent quite a bit of time on it,
and have a fair bit of knowledge on the subject.

I could do with some more information regarding your parts and what idea you had, perhaps even some pictures.

Based on the information you have provided,
i can tell you this;

Your driver is only capable of 20w output max.
Practically useless in my opinion.

Cob 1 has a max output of about 3w
Cob 2 has a max output of about 8w.
Based on the voltages and current you have stated.

Are these the Big cobs?
Are the Ma ratings your provided correct?
Should it be 3000ma instead of 300ma?

Some pictures would be very helpful.

Here's a tip. To find the wattage of an electrical device,
all you do is multiply the volts times the amps, and it gives you the wattage.

Volts x amps = watts

E.G.

Driver;
32 x .6 = 19.2w

Cob1;
11 x .3 = 3.3w

Cob2;
25 x .3 = 7.5w

You won't be able to grow much with these.
That's even if you run them at full power, which you shouldn't do.

I need some more info and some pictures from you.

But let me show you some of the parts i used

These are some of the Leds i used.

Some 10w cobs, some 50w cobs and some 5w star leds

leds.JPG

I used 3 drivers, each capable of 100w output. I put a small cfl next to them for size comparison.
These things are awesome. Very simple to use, and almost fool proof.
Basically you wire up the leds to one of these, and it works out the voltage automatically based on resistance,
but there is a small screw to adjust the output current, depending on how much power you want to run the leds at.
All you do is provide a DC power source in, and wire the leds to the output, and voila, you have light!

100w_driver.JPG

And these are some AC power drivers, that you plug into the wall, that are even simpler.
You just wire up your leds straight to this, plug it into the wall and away you go.
As long as the driver doesn't put out more current than your leds can handle, they will work.

ac_driver.JPG

There is a lot of information you need to know to be successful in building your own light.
I spent weeks researching before i even bought a single part.

I'm not trying to discourage you. But i personally don't think it's worth it.

But if you can provide more info, i can try and help you further.

Back
Top Bottom