My seedlings are yellowing once again. Why am I cursed with this?

Dude I’m sorry it’s biting you in the arse once again. I’m going on a rant but please understand my frustration is with the situation you are experiencing, not you personally!

you mention fully drying out but also being watered in large gulps every 1 one 2 days… these are polar opposites…

Gravity works so when top 1/2 inch of soil is dry, the bottom is still very much wet. Weed roots can’t breathe in constantly wet or damp soil. Adding more water does not equate to more growth or faster growth. The real problem with water is lack of oxygen to the root zone… no soil based grow media dries out fully in one or two days….

Tiny plants need tiny amounts of water, a tiny plant can’t use all that water nor does it evaporate that quickly. So the excess water sits in the soil as silent killer, but before the plant can use up the existing moisture in the soil, more water gets dumped in. More water equals less oxygen in the soil…less oxygen to root zone. Yep weed roots need access to oxygen…

You can’t overwater in a day, overwater occurs by adding more water than the plant can use on a frequent basis.

Put a dowel rod or bamboo skewer in the soil, to be effective the rod must hit bottom. Next put a sharpie marker on the dowel at the soil line and leave rod in place in the soil for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes remove the dowel rod, there should be a visible difference, above the sharpie mark it should be totally dry. Below the sharpie mark the stick should be wet to indicate the water table in the container. You can see and feel the moisture on the stick… it reflects exactly what’s going on with water in your container of soil mix. Do not add any more water until there’s only 1/2 to 1 inch of waterline marked on bottom of your dowel rod dipstick. For small plants do not pour water on your soil, best to use pump sprayer and go very sparingly… airpots are better than regular hardside plastic but cloth pots are best for oxygen to root zone & shorter time between wet dry cycles

Don’t water where your roots are, water where you want roots to grow. Water in a circle about 5 inches away from main stem. Note: you want your roots to find water- not the other way around.

If you water frequently it makes for lazy roots, they are treated like royalty and never learn to work or search for water. Have a sneaking feeling autopots will be bad investment and money would be better spent on feminized photoperiod beans. Right now your young plants are not getting out of starting gate, imho autopots won’t fix that

Seriously step away from the autoflower seeds.….you’ll thank me later. Autos can sit for days unchanged above ground while roots try to grab a foothold below ground. Seriously try any other kind of bean besides autoflowers, heck even a cbd bean will tell you more than continuing to fiddle with autos. Honestly once you stunt or piss off an autoflower seedling- typically it doesn’t just resume growing… Autos can sit stalled for days on end but typically here comes more water to fix a problem that water can’t fix or to fix a problem that water plus nutes can’t fix. Funny thing but once a rootball is drowning in water and choking from lack of oxygen- adding more water doesn’t fix it.

Other media types like coco & hempy can handle water every day, not so for soil. Heck coco doesn’t even begin to compact when compared to soil… again many issues are related to lack of oxygen in the soil… as mentioned these other media types don’t have same problem. The yellowing could also be attributed to ph being out of whack from the dolomite, when nutes are out of ph range it’s like they are not even there.

For weed plants- never water a wet soil… pull the dowel rod dipstick and take a gander before ever adding water. The other thing is upcan, or upcan too soon, think this last round was upcanned too soon which only compounds water probs. You want solid rootball from top to bottom before giving her bigger pants, rootbound isn’t a bad thing. Now rootbound for weeks on end is bad, but rootbound in itself only tells you yes it’s finally time to upsize. Upcan too soon then roots are surrounded by even more wet soil and less oxygen than before. Upcan is great for photoperiods too where an autoflower can blow a gasket if you look at her wrong… Anywho hopefully few months from now we can all look back and laugh while you chop down a big monster mama…

Ok rant over, please accept my apologies if I’m off base.

Peace out & have a great day! Hope something here helps

My tent kills plants.

can only lol ..

should make you try hempy style. would break you of all the bad habits. you have no choice but to read the plant and anticipate it's needs in hempy.
it's good for fussy and new growers as it's hard to kill hempy.

Maybe just plant and let grow till week 3 veg - then use nutrients and use just some good root stimulators

pretty much the advice he's gotten 8 ways from heaven so far ...

pretty much the advice he's gotten 8 ways from heaven so far ...

Sorry for the wall of text:

Problem is that we're always stuck in the "now" and older attempts get ignored every time.

I now try giving them food early on, as recommended - Wrong. I shouldn't have fed them.

I don't feed them early on - Wrong, I should've fed them early on.

I don't fix PH - Wrong, should've fixed PH. I fix PH - Wrong, I shouldn't have fixed PH, it's organics.

I water in circles - Wrong, should've moistened the whole pot. I moisten the whole pot - Wrong, I should've dunked it. I dunk it - Wrong, plants are too small for this in large pots.

I use solo cups to avoid any mistakes - Wrong, just because. I now water incorrectly again, and didn't feed nutrients. While other people grow Autoflowers for 3-4 weeks without adding ANYTHING in Light Mix. Some even use RO water at 5.8PH in Light Mix, and it just works. But I apparently.. have to add nutrients? For some mysterious reason? Yet I did it, because you guys told me so. And from then on, the plants once again just got worse and worse, and I am still the one ignoring advice.

No one has ever seen this kind of problem apparently, and can just guess. Do you guys really think that this is "wrong watering" or "not enough nutrients"? Where are the other people who water incorrectly and have this problem? I imagine there are tons of beginners who do not water correctly. Can someone maybe show me a similar problem from someone else? Why are my plants never drooping because of lack of water? Why are they not drooping after adding water? I feel like I am watering correctly, or not? Why do my plants not change even after adding nutrients? Why is my substrate perfectly moist on the whole inside when I give up a plant and check out the root-system and substrate? No dry spots, nothing, moist all the way through.

Have you guys ever had this problem to be able to tell that this is just lack of food or water? I'm honestly asking, because I want to understand. I have tried each and every way, I have spent over 1 year now trying to fix this problem. I had enough time to try every possible way. If my plants are completely useless after Day 20, I have a new attempt already going, so yes, there is enough time. My friend is clueless, a dude who has hundreds of plants finished, with the same substrate and nutrients as me, and the same city water. He watered these plants correctly, like he always does. They got even worse around 1-2 days after this, even though the substrate was ready to be watered in his opinion, he said it was "just perfect", as it accepted water without being hydrophobic. He just told me that I'm crazy for thinking that I still had 3-4 days until they're ready to water, so he took his time and watered them right there. Yet my only healthy plant I still had left, got this yellow growth everywhere appearing AFTER he watered.

Do you guys notice something? There's competing advice everywhere, and it doesn't matter which way I try to waste 20 days once again, it doesn't work out in the end.

And that's because I feel like something else is just severely off. And I can't tell you what it is, as I have no clue. I even talked to Bruce Bugbee himself, showed everything & he said "well that's a weird one", and told me to use a directly available nutrient line, which I tried, but didn't help. People are just damn confused about this, and so am I.

My plants thrive for the first week, and then they suddenly start dying each and every time with the same symptom, literally the EXACT same symptom every time. Be it in solo cups with all mix, light mix, or in smaller pots, or final pots, with or without extra nutrients, with or without PH correcting. There is not one example of another person with this problem and a solution, yet tons of people are watering incorrectly every day of the week.

Isn't there anyone who notices that something else just seems to be completely off?

As of yesterday, I have relocated the tent into a new room which is way smaller and fully ventilated, so the tent doesn't stand far away in an unventilated corner with the only window being far away. I have fed one plant directly available chemical nutrients in a low dosage as a trial attempt once again. I lowered the PPFD even lower to around 150-200, because the plants haven't shown any vertical / horizontal growth for around 1 week now. No this isn't because of "root growth", they're literally dying. They don't even smell like weed anymore, they smell like a hint of old walnuts for some reason. Each and every leaf is dying now, crisping up in several weird ways, yet the pots are watered, and the leaves are praying, as if everything is just right.

Cold you try bottled water to eliminate that as a possible cause?

I just got an RO system delivered! I am sadly just insanely stupid and forgot to order the fitting gauges / threads for my water source, so I am without RO water for now. I already ordered a dead plug for my adapter, it'll arrive Thursday, and from then on I'll stick to RO water to completely eliminate that theory.

By the way, here are some interesting shots with my microscope for anyone who enjoys this stuff:

Healthy leaf:

20240430_232323.jpg

One of my yellow leaves:

20240430_232234.jpg

A different one with a sharp edge with green leaf material on the bottom, and the upper part being yellow:

20240430_232704.jpg

My plants thrive for the first week, and then they suddenly start dying each and every time with the same symptom, literally the EXACT same symptom every time. Be it in solo cups with all mix, light mix, or in smaller pots, or final pots, with or without extra nutrients, with or without PH correcting. There is not one example of another person with this problem and a solution, yet tons of people are watering incorrectly every day of the week.

you keep missing the exact same nute bump every time at the same stage, and the watering /feeding is all over the place. that's the always been the main issue. still is the main issue. i could place money on it and win every time.

Isn't there anyone who notices that something else just seems to be completely off?

yes. the grower.
settle down. go back to basics.
read a couple journals in the same nutes and media you use. copy them. it's not hard.
only use base nutes. stick to the feeding schedule.

don't make it as complicated as you are trying to.

maybe grow hempy style or straight coco as that will force you to be simple.

this could be pm ..

20240430_232234-jpg.3584074

would have to see more. it hasn't been your issue so far though, and i'd tackle the others first. would need to see the whole plant.

Try this parlor trick…. one day after you water an airpot, let it sit and drip drain a few hours until you’re convinced there’s no more runoff.

Tilt that same airpot to a steep 45 degree angle and prop it up so it won’t tumble. Leave propped at same angle for an hour or two and see how much it pees. Should be a pretty good puddle, you just reset the water table to a lower level and believe it or not…. there’s still plenty more water suspended in the soil mix.

The point is most soils hold a lot more water than we realize... theres other tricks to be had like adding extra aeration or keeping plants on a wire grate above drip pan and blowing air with fan at container base to speed up rate of evap and shorter wet dry cycles. The bbq skewer or dowel rod thing will defs help you learn as well

When grown in soil- weed plants move at a very slow speed, the changes you make today won’t be visible for about 10 to 12 days. But often out of impatience ignorance or desperation we make half dozen other unnecessary changes, by the time original 12 days have elapsed we’ve gone from highway to side ditch and now sitting upside down in the swamp. Watering can set you up for slow steady success or set you up for a fast failure…

Tell us about your normal watering routine….

How often do you water?
How much volume do you give in 1 watering session?
What prompts you to add more water? Do you wait a day or three days… what’s the frequency?
What size container?
Do you spray water on your foliage each day?
When you water the soil…. Do you pour from a cup or gallon jug? Use watering can? Or a pump sprayer?

I’m in the process of killing a seedling right now, yup thas right it still happens and in my case it’s 420% related to too much water…

I’m going to now reprogram your brain…

Acid buy some feminized photoperiod beans

All done! If not tomoz then very soon you’ll whip out debit card & get after them fem photo beans..

Ha, ha, later dude

Yes sir, trust us man. I’ve only been working faq boards for about 3 years now, but we get watering issues all the time with new growers. Across the board it’s single largest issue new growers face.

Ok let’s turn this around…. it’s not really hard to water a plant, one must simply apply the water it’s not rocket science. Once watered the plant should just grow right? But it doesn’t… time after time it fails…. that’s your cue Houston we have a problem. You reached out and yes we agree, there is a problem here. There are patterns and yes water has killed many, many weed plants. Water done right is no big whoop it promotes growth etc. Water done wrong causes damping off disease, water causes root rot, water entices pests to move in. But again primary issue with too much water is- lack of oxygen to root zone,

Take a look at link below there’s 1000 pages of results on watering problems
>>>>> 420 search for “watering problems” <<<<<

That’s the reasons Emilya write those watering guides all those years ago, watering problems are very well known issue…

According to fast buds you should only use water and they say to have half all mix half light mix

THE SIMPLEST WAY TO GROW AUTOFLOWERS​

If you’re a beginner grower or just want to keep things as simple as possible, Biobizz substrates make it extremely easy to get excellent results without having to add extra fertilizers, and it’s super simple. Now, keep in mind that you don’t necessarily need to use Biobizz as other brands offer similar products, and you can always make your own substrate at home which is cheaper. So let’s start, first of all, it’s important for you to know that the All Mix (or similar substrates) are too strong for young autoflowers and may end up causing nutrient burn which can slow down growth or even cause your autos to hermie, but it contains the right amount of food for autos in the flowering stage. This means that the All Mix works great for autos in the flowering stage and the Light Mix works great for autos in the vegetative stage, so all you have to do is fill the bottom half of the pot with the All Mix and the top half of the pot with the Light Mix, this way your plants will only reach the stronger substrate once they’re big enough. Then all you have to do is water with plain water and that’s it!

Yeah guys, so a little update:

It was apparently the corner it stood in, back in the old room. Maybe a really weird ventilation problem, I don't know. I have a fully equipped tent, but I imagine it was the corner it stood in. I had two survivors in that corner, but out of 60+ dead plants, I imagine they just pushed through it.

It wasn't incorrect watering, lack of nutrients, or anything, it was, which I have to guess now: Lack of fresh oxygen for the roots, as the air has always been rather stuffy back in that old corner, it was a dead-zone for fresh airflow. My tent has been in the new open airy room for around 3 days now, and all plants are recovering. The worst ones will probably never recover fully as most leaves are extremely damaged, but everything is coming out green again. The two bigger ones are suddenly getting bigger growth, yellowing is disappearing, everything is apparently working out again.

This might also explain the problem with yellow growth every time AFTER watering - The lack of fresh oxygen-rich air in that corner probably caused an even bigger lack of oxygen in the root system after watering them, so it was like a contradiction in itself at first, as the plants showed these symptoms AFTER I watered them, even if they were totally underwatered and needed it. But now it actually makes some sense.

I also put one of my older, almost dead plants back into the tent, and it's 100% fine and thriving. I even supercropped it, because it just grew too tall and lanky on the windowsill and I had to do something about it. I don't care about yield or anything with this old plant, so it doesn't matter.

Pretty much 100% healthy plant now, now starting LST on the two healthy ones:

20240502_035818.jpg

Problematic bigger one, now also healthy again, with old leaves still showing damage:
20240502_035823.jpg

My most expensive seeds, very flimsy and small for their age, most damage, but recovering:

20240502_035830.png

Newest seedling, it came out bright yellow in the old room, yellow veins everywhere, now 100% healthy after 3 days:
20240502_035826.jpg

My once dead thought plant, recovered on windowsill, now crying for help as it got supercropped in the tent, but it'll recover soon enough:
20240502_035836.jpg

I guess.. I found the reason? Apparently I'm not all that stupid, I'm just slightly stupid for placing my tent in the back of a room with no good air-circulation, even though it had a window. I know some people might wanna argue that it's just because I started feeding them & they just now start to recover because of it, but then my old plants from the grow before this one would've been dead by now, as I haven't fed them in the past 2 weeks or so. They're the healthiest ones now. Completely underwatered, underfed old plants. They're 100% healthy.

Proof of concept:

20240502_044104.jpg

This plant died in my tent, completely yellow, dying. This is the same plant, after being next to my window for a few weeks now. Bad watering habits, no nutrients at all, it gets treated like shit. And it's thriving. It wasn't the watering, it never was.

I will update you guys sooner or later again, hopefully with some very good news. The horror finally came to an end, it only took 8 pages and lots of chaos, and none of it was the actual problem. I feel stupid.

Hey Acid,

I screwed the pooch and I’m not afraid to admit being wrong! I’m thrilled you have found the answer, sounds like recovery is happening as we read along.

Whoo hoo- way to go man!! You deserve a well nurtured garden, keep up the good work.

Don’t feel stupid, you were spot on digging for answers. Stupid would have been to ignore the issues but you were all over it searching for answers.

Congrats dawg!

Hey Acid,

I screwed the pooch and I’m not afraid to admit being wrong! I’m thrilled you have found the answer, sounds like recovery is happening as we read along.

Whoo hoo- way to go man!! You deserve a well nurtured garden, keep up the good work
We all were wrong, because that's the most stupid solution to ever exist. Who would have guessed that a room causes plants to die? Especially just one half of the room? That's so mind-numbingly stupid, no one could have guessed that. I still don't fully understand this.

Lack of oxygen, or lack of CO2, or both. That's the whole solution to all of this, with me thinking that it's probably oxygen, because I had a CO2 bag in there once, and it happened again. The roots pretty much suffocated 24/7. This all still has to be connected to one of the observations I had - If I plant 4 plants all at once, they're fine at first. They then start dying as soon as they slowly transition into early veg.

Now if I plant a fifth seed in the same tent, while the other ones try to grow, it usually shows symptoms WAY earlier, as early as day 1, like the one above. These tiny details are so important. I feel like they were competing for either CO2 or Oxygen in there, and the smaller the plant, the lesser the chance of it surviving.

It's all just guesses, assumptions, I'm not a god. But what else is left? They're outside of the room, they all start growing. That surely can't be lighting, watering, nutrients, or anything I personally do. Same tent, same light, everything the same. Watering, no watering, they suddenly all start living again.

Trust me, this is a weird one, but it worked for whatever reason. I cannot explain.

In a chamber dark, where shadows dance with dread,
Where whispers curl and fearsome tales are spread,
There lies a mystery, a secret held tight,
Where cannabis plants succumb to blight.

Within this room, where light dares not intrude,
Where life's vibrant hues seem to be subdued,
The verdant leaves wither, wilt, and die,
As if beneath some dark and damning sky.

Yet step beyond the threshold's silent gate,
And watch as life renews, defying fate,
For in the world outside, they thrive anew,
As if the room itself held some dark brew.

What unseen force, what magic or what curse,
Lays claim to this domain, both dire and terse?
A riddle wrapped in enigmatic gloom,
In that chamber where cannabis meets its doom.

- My past year.

Funny but late other nite was reading over your thread back from start where you said 30% extra perlite and my thinking was like whoa…. bad call 013 this is not overwater with extra aeration in mix.

The other thing about autos is the damed if you do- dammed if you don’t on the whole transplant thing. It’s kinda long standing debate… autos don’t like transplant, start in final container. Knowing still that starting in final container might take longer since it’s bigger space for roots to get foothold.

Also before I forget 2 really great auto growers check out their journals @DeeBoy and @BooWho2 and if memory serves me Boowho does topping and transplants on her autos on the same day. Deeboy was just cranking them out next level and in rapid succession

It does make total sense in that one huge factor was off, it was way off. They gotta breathe and transpire to get the pump working, and plants can’t pump within a vacuum

Way to go dude!! I’m so glad you fixed your own problem, my hat is off to you!!

Now let’s get this part started!

Back
Top Bottom