Quest for mold-resistant strains, Hawaii outdoor greenhouse grow

Continuing from the above post...
Next up... I'll look into the lineages of the above amazing terpinolene-dominant CBD strains, and come full circle to the legendary Sour Tsunami and Harle-Tsu. I'll take a brief look at ACDC and Cannatonic, and the mysterious Early Resin Berry (ERB).

One question that pops into my mind is, why did Oregon CBD launch their "sour strains" in 2020, specifically for high-terpinolene content, when they already had the Lifter strain with terpinolene as one of the top 3 terpenes? And then it seems they renamed it Sour Lifter in the 2022/2023 releases. But what actually happened is that Sour Lifter was created by breeding Lifter with an in-house created "terpinolene dominant CBD variety", in 2021—what they call their "GG#4 conversion". From the terpene profiles I've seen, it appears Sour Lifter actually has less terpinolene than Lifter, but I'm sure there is phenotypic variation for both.

So, why the "sour strains," and why the emphasis on terpinolene? Oregon CBD launched these "sour" strains in 2020/2021: Sour Elektra, Sour Hawaiian Haze, Sour Special Sauce, and Super Sour Space Candy. In their online catalog they say about the Sour CBDs—"Improved for 2021, these varieties feature a newly selected, terpinolene dominant [Gorilla Glue #4] conversion parent that helps them put on the weight and finish fast!". It's looks like they were also going for high resin production, coupled with citrus, berry, and tropical aromas and flavors. From my research, strains high in terpinolene are known for citrus, berry, and tropical aromas.

Curious thing, though, I don't see any mention of mold/fungus resistance associated with Oregon CBD's "sour strains", which would be my primary reason for trying out high-terpinolene CBD strains. They remark about their classic strain, Special Sauce, "Ideal for humid climates with strong mold resistance." Yet I don't see any significant terpinolene in the one terpene profile I found for Special Sauce, and another website mentions that terpinolene is not in the top 3 terpenes for Special Sauce. Even more curious is that Oregon CBD has bred "seedless" triploid genetics that they claim have high fungus/mold resistance, including: triploid versions of Suver Haze, Sour Suver Haze, and Lifter. About the triploid Suver Haze they say, "Excels in moist climates and exhibits strong resistance to botrytis". (That's the only mention of botrytis resistance I can find on Oregon CBD's website.) But this is very interesting, because triploids are typically larger plants with more resin production, and the non-triploid Suver Haze (from what I can tell) doesn't contain significant amounts of terpinolene—therefore, the strong resistance to botrytis, I'm guessing, is coming from the increased resin production. That's my guess. So, it could be that big plants with high resin production bring out the inherent fungus/mold resistance. I just experienced this with the recent harvest of my #9 pheno of Cherry Blossom. But the way I accomplished that was to increase pot size!

Speaking of Cherry Blossom, this is a good segue into Harle-Tsu. Why? Because Cherry Blossom is a cross of Harle-Tsu and Cherry Pie. Well, I should say that at least one strain called "Cherry Blossom", high in CBD, is a cross of Harle-Tsu and Cherry Pie.

But that's not the Cherry Blossom CBD that I'm growing. I'm fairly certain the Cherry Blossom that I'm growing is Cherry Wine x Berry Blossom. Looking a bit deeper: Cherry Wine is Charlotte's Cherries x The Wife; Berry Blossom is Cherry Kandahar S1 and Chardonnay. Looking even deeper: Charlotte's Cherries is Charlotte's Web x Colorado Cherry. (As far as I can tell, Colorado Cherry is a THC strain from Cherry Pie x Tree of Life.) Regarding Cherry Kandahar, that's close to a landrace Afghani indica (THC). Chardonnay is Black Rose and Cherry Wine (there's that Cherry Wine again). I'm not sure which "Black Rose" they mean there, but it's a THC strain. (purple = high CBD)

So, the high-CBD genetics in the Cherry Blossom CBD that I'm growing is from Charlotte's Web and The Wife. While Charlotte's Web has Lawrence Ringo's Harle-Tsu prominent in its lineage, The Wife is a bit of a mystery, traced to High Grade Hemp Seeds in Colorado. They were not the creators, however. Credit for that goes to Foundation Seeds, another hemp breeder in Colorado, who created it from Spectrum x Wife. Both Spectrum and Wife were phenotypes of Heartwood IBL, which was derived from genetics received from Spain in 2011 [ source ]. (There's that timeframe again, 2010/2011—The dawn of CBD strains.)

That mystery high-CBD Spanish germplasm used to create The Wife may have been Juanita la Lagrimosa, Cannatonic, or Dancehall.

***​

Now back to the amazing strains of Oregon CBD. What well-known eary CBD genetics are they based on, or do they incorporate? The mystery gets thick now. Oregon CBD did its own foundational in-house breeding. To create Lifter, they crossed their own Suver Haze with the high-CBD strain, Early Resin Berry (ERB). I can't find anything on Early Resin Berry, but I'm guessing they acquired a clone or clones of it from somewhere. It seems at first ERB was a 1:1 strain, and then perhaps Oregon CBD morphed it into a type 3 strain, but that's a total guess. Or maybe they developed ERB from some other genetics. As for Suver Haze, they crossed Suver #8 with ERB, and Suver is a strain they developed on Suver Road, north of Corvallis, Oregon...

"After crossing our “Special Sauce” mom with our select (THC) Neville’s Haze male in 2015, an open pollination was conducted with 40 F1 siblings. When the resulting F2 seeds were grown out and chemotyped, only 1 plant out of 72 females in the test grow was a type III hemp plant..."

Special Sauce and ERB are the two secret ingredients in Suver, Suver Haze, and Lifter.

Besides Special Sauce, ERB, Suver, and Suver Haze, Oregon CBD also incorporated other CBD genetics: Sour Tsunami and a mystery strain, W19—could it be a pheno of Wife or The Wife?

Sour Tsunami is found in the lineages of Oregon CBD's Sour Candy Kush (high terpinolene), and Sour Space Candy (terpinolene dominant).

And completing the circle... Sour Tsunami was created by Lawrence Ringo, and then with it he created Harle-Tsu (Harlequin x Sour Tsunami).

Here's the terpinolene content for Harle-Tsu, from a 2016 terpene profile on Kannapedia:

1717379300000.png

Terpinolene also shows up prominently in Ringo's Gift, which is Harle-Tsu x AC/DC.

***​

Lasty, let's take a quick look at the genetics behind East Fork Cultivars' high-CBD terpinolene-dominant strains...

Pineapple Kush CBD is Sour Pineapple x Suzy’s Gift (Bubba Kush x Ringo’s Gift).

Sour Pineapple CBD is Sour Tsunami x Pineapple Tsu (Sour Tsunami x Pineapple). (Pineapple is an old strain, mostly skunk genetics.)

Here we see Sour Tsunami as high in terpinolene, terpinene, and pinene:
1717381030351.png

Here we see Pineapple Tsu as terpinolene dominant:
1717380780248.png

So, we see the terpinolene of Sour Tsunami and Harle-Tsu shining through in these high-CBD, terpinolene-dominant strains.

***​

Lastly, a very quick look at AC/DC and Cannatonic CBD strains. AC/DC is actually a phenotype of Cannatonic. Looking at the terpene profiles for each, neither contains much terpinolene. Cannatonic originated in Spain. Leafly says, "Bred by Resin Seeds in Spain, Cannatonic is a high-CBD strain with relatively low THC levels."

Next up... After this deep dive, I'll come back to the surface and consider the "bigger picture" in terms of my quest for mold-resistant strains.

:ciao:

Lastly, a very quick look at AC/DC and Cannatonic CBD strains. AC/DC is actually a phenotype of Cannatonic. Looking at the terpene profiles for each, neither contains much terpinolene. Cannatonic originated in Spain. Leafly says, "Bred by Resin Seeds in Spain, Cannatonic is a high-CBD strain with relatively low THC levels."
I grew AC/DC for a bit. It's linked somehow to Dr William Courtney, I think it might have been his pheno selection of a Cannatonic that got bred out. Don't remember the details but It was reading his stuff that started me out on using the acidic versions of the various cannabinoids.

His view is we all should be taking them as a "supplement" much like one would vitamins and minerals. He's big on juicing the leaves.

I grew AC/DC for a bit. It's linked somehow to Dr William Courtney, I think it might have been his pheno selection of a Cannatonic that got bred out. Don't remember the details but It was reading his stuff that started me out on using the acidic versions of the various cannabinoids.
Yep, I just read about a doctor I think in northern Calif., a cannabis breeder, who created AC/DC using a pheno of Cannatonic.

His view is we all should be taking them as a "supplement" much like one would vitamins and minerals. He's big on juicing the leaves.
I totally agree. Cannabis like vitamins. I think I recall you talking about your sprinkles... ground up CBD buds that you put on food. I actually just mentioned that concept to a friend yesterday, and I'd like to start doing it myself!

I totally agree. Cannabis like vitamins. I think I recall you talking about your sprinkles... ground up CBD buds that you put on food. I actually just mentioned that concept to a friend yesterday, and I'd like to start doing it myself!
It's a bit of an acquired taste and a good cure helps with the bitterness, but yes I do sprinkle it around. It's like that Hot Sauce commercial, I put that sh... on everything! :laughtwo:

I mix up various combinations but cbd is a prominent factor in most if them, like 80% or more prominent.

I think I recall you talking about your sprinkles... ground up CBD buds that you put on food. I actually just mentioned that concept to a friend yesterday, and I'd like to start doing it myself!

If this is helpful, @sweet Sue has a Canna Dust thread.

Just speaking for myself, canna dust it helps take the load off the lungs, so I can get my CBD without roasting my innards. (And then when I want to voyage, then I can vape.)
(Of course your mileage may vary, but it works for me.)

If this is helpful, I am SUPER looking forward to the fermented cob! (I have another month to go until I can test to see if the CBD makes it...). That should take potency to the next level without the need to involve the lungs at all. (YMMV.)
If not, please just ignore (but it is hoped that it will be helpful).

I am learnign a ton on your thread. I had no idea I should be getting my phenos dialed in! (And then one day when I get my phenos dialed in, I can put them into the cob...) Hopefully that will be the most potent way that does not involve roasting my lungs (which need help).

If this is helpful, @sweet Sue has a Canna Dust thread.
thanks!

If this is helpful, I am SUPER looking forward to the fermented cob! (I have another month to go until I can test to see if the CBD makes it...). That should take potency to the next level without the need to involve the lungs at all. (YMMV.)
If not, please just ignore (but it is hoped that it will be helpful).

Wow, thanks again! I was wondering what you meant by "cob" in some of your posts. Well, once again I have learned something new about cannabis!

I am learning a ton on your thread. I had no idea I should be getting my phenos dialed in! (And then one day when I get my phenos dialed in, I can put them into the cob...) Hopefully that will be the most potent way that does not involve roasting my lungs (which need help).
Yeah, it's all about the phenos. Of course, some seed lines produce more uniform genetics, but from what I can tell, most stable seed lines throw 2 or more phenos. And it's very possible to get both sativa(-leaning) and indica(-leaning) phenos from the same seed lines. And of course, you'll see different terpene profiles for the different phenos, so there are implications for fungus/mold resistance.

Glad if I can contribute something useful.
I am learning a ton.

As I learned earlier in this thread, the trichomes on leaves produce terpenes, resulting in fragrant leaves.

But did you know, these leaf trichomes can also produce cannabinoids in some cases?

I just came across this recently, in my research on the origins of CBD strains, talking about the Harlequin strain, which was produced by Joel of NorStar Genetics from a clone acquired from Harborside Oakland in 2009...

Cannabinoids in Harlequin Leaf?
Earlier this year Wilson Linker, a sales executive at Steep Hill Lab, tested leaves taken from a Harlequin plant about five weeks after it was started indoors from a clone. "Still completely in veg," he says of the plant. Linker took leaves from different various parts of the plant, ground them up, and tested them by GC/MS. To his surprise, the leaf tested at approximately 4% CBD and 2% THC.
Linker repeated the test and confirmed the results with another Harlequin clone started the same day. Key questions will be answered by more testing: Do all Harlequin plants produce cannabinoids in the vegetative state? Do other CBD-rich strains have this trait?
[ source ]​

Back
Top Bottom