Weed price to lower?

hjayu94

As a Canadian, weed is now legal for recreational use. Growing 4 plants in your house is now legal.

When I saw this, figured prices would drop for weed! There are about 5 marijuana dispensaries in my area I know of. These are NOT legal, but are on native land, and the police just don't seem to bug them. It's strange... They advertise, grow, sell and make tons of money from marijuana illegally, but nothing is done.

Anyways, driving by today, I now see one of these has "happy hour", where ALL weed strains are $5/g. Prices are coming down! I expect this trend to continue. Others?

They've dropped 20-30% at the illegal dispensaries left in the Halifax area. I've noticed that many of them have been shut down, and I don't think it's due to lack of business.

I've been wondering about the online prices I keep seeing in Canada. $100 ounces are becoming pretty common. It makes me think a lot of it has to be reconditioned moldy weed with thrip turds and pesticides. That's coming in around $3.5 a gram. Is it even possible for guys to grow that cheaply? If we are buying it for that price, think what the dispensaries paying for it.

It just doesn't seem to add up to me.

I've been wondering about the online prices I keep seeing in Canada. $100 ounces are becoming pretty common. It makes me think a lot of it has to be reconditioned moldy weed with thrip turds and pesticides. That's coming in around $3.5 a gram. Is it even possible for guys to grow that cheaply? If we are buying it for that price, think what the dispensaries paying for it.

It just doesn't seem to add up to me.

Well, let's take a look...

In a 2' X 4' tent I harvest about 8oz or 220gm, so that's worth roughly $800.
Power used for lights is 300W, 60 days at 16hrs, and 90days at 12hrs for 612KWh.
Power for fans and humidifiers is about 50W for 150 days or 180KWh.
Total power used is about 800KWh at $0.15603 for a total of $125.
Nutrients cost about $20/grow.
My substrate is re-used and costs about $10/grow.
My tent, light, and ventilation fan cost $800, amortized over ten grows is $80/grow.
Carbon filters are good for three grows, and cost $150, or $50/grow.
Miscellaneous costs are about $50/grow.
Total cost per grow is about $335, or $42/oz.

The miscellaneous costs include things like pH pens, calibration solutions, replacement circulation fans etc. The total cost is at the high end of power usage, it usually is less as my light has adjustable intensity, and most grows don't take 90 days at 12/12. I'd guesstimate the actual cost is about $35/oz.

Edit: Oops, I didn't add in the cost of seed which can run up to $60 per grow, so we're back up to $42. By growing my own seed the cost of seed will drop to less than $1.00 per grow.

Back
Top Bottom