When do I transplant to hydro from rockwool?

grimes2020

Hi i have a Atari Wilma 20x6L Hydroponic Grow

I have germinated the seeds in rockwool in a rockwool tray and have grown roughly 3 inchs tall now.

so I know i need to put the rockwool cube into a load of clay pebbles but i did it last time and the stem was too weak and the pebbles damaged and killed the plants because they where too weak

when shall i put the rockwool cubes with the seedlings in into the pots of clay pebbles in the wilma 20x6

i feel if i do it now it will be too soon and the clay pebbles will damage the stem while the plants in early growth... because when i did it before the stem was damaged by the pebbles and the stem went thin and either snapped or the plant fell over

when shall i put them into the pots so they can grow strong but still not get root bound into the rockwool cube?

I hope that message didnt sound confusing....:volcano-smiley:

I have just let the root grow to about 3" and fish 1" through the bottom of the net pot and gently pour in the pellets.

I am using DWC so for the first few days I will dip and pour some of the water over the pellets twice a day for the first few days.

Or what I like even better now. Is to take it at three days after it popped and put the cube into a little basket in my spray cloner until I get a 6" root. Then I feed 2" through the net pot so it can reach the water and the roots are tougher by then and I have not had any issue with them while putting in the pellets.

I'm a newb and learning as well. Sounds like an awful amount of handling. Why not germinate in paper towel then gently place in a soaked rock wool cube? Not sure why you're damaging the roots with the hydroton grimes. I would just remove the top 1" of balls, place the cube in the middle and build the balls around it, not on top of it. If DWC I would raise the level to about 1/2 way up the net pots to keep the hydroton wet and wait for the tap root to stretch down and lower the level accordingly. Is my method flawed?

Back
Top Bottom