2x2 & 2x4 Grow System: Every Stop is Neatly Planned ...

Hello! I am new here. I will be posting a continuous grow journal in the next couple of days. In the mean time I'd like to give you a detailed view of my grow room and grow system.

The whole thing is built with convenience in mind from the way it was bought -- cutting 4'x8' plywood panels into 2'x4' panels at the home center so I could easily transport the materials home in my car -- to the way it was built; simply with an eye toward convenience for the grower. That's me. An old guy who isn't as strong as he was any more.

There are a total of three 2x2 workstations, and one 4x2 workstations.

Did I write workstations? While some may have skeletons in their grow closets, I have scientists. I really don't know what is worse. If this room looks like it might have been inspired by hanging out in one too many life-science labs, well ... it might have been.

Here's a look at the 4x2 on the left facing the three 2x2s on the right. In the middle back there are my nute pots with a couple of cheap drip irrigation timer/pumps on them. I use them for High-Frequency Fertigation (HFF) in pots filled with perlite.

The following two photos better show the three 2x2 stations. Each with its own purpose.

Let's take an even closer look. First the seed propagation and cloning booth. Originally designed to give plants the most room possible, with the lowest amount of room for the lights (and lowest amount of light, as well), these use 3/4" thick, 25w, 11.5X11.5 cheapo blurble lights. For breeding female plants for feminized pollen production, and allowing seed plants to seed out. The box works well.

Here it is empty.

Note the parallel cleats on the sides of the box. Those are for resting shelves. I move shelves, not lights.

And here it is shown ready for a couple of 2.7-gallon nursery pots in the nursery tray, plus the cloner down below.

The middle station is the Seedling station. Right now I'm getting ready to start an Amnesia Trance from Amsterdam Marijuana seeds. It's my favorite strain, but I've had a bit of trouble getting some seeds started. I think I got lazy. But that is beside the point.

Beneath the seedling shelf I have another nute bucket and drip irrigation timer/pump. That is for sending nutes to the veg station next door. If you ever want to try one out I suggest ordering black silicon tubing as the clear tubing set with the units I use clogs up with algae when exposed to light.

And, this is the Vegetation Station. This is where seeding transplants come to grow and get there first taste of manifolding. That's a 4'-tall grow box topped with an 18" "Light Head," featuring a ViparSpectra XS 1000 light. A perfect pairing. Inside the box is a newly manifolded Dos-Si-Dos from Pyramid Seeds and sold through 420 Magazine sponsor Seedsman.

Now, on to the juicy part! The Late Veg and Flowering station ...

See how the shelves, pots and chair all match up? Makes working EZ-PZ. And that's not all. Those 22" saucers sit on these turntable bearings:

And to enhance the mobility of the plants, I've cut these extension nipples into the line near the pots. No disconnecting the whole drip irrigation system. Very handy when flushing pots

As for flushing. I've found that using HFF in 2.7-gallon pots that flushing between nute changes is a fairly good idea. My PPMs in the runoff can get fairly high. So I make that easy. I have a special, clean saucer with a pour spout that I use for flushing. It's clean, which is important for taking PPM and ph. measurements in the runoff, and it has a pour spout. I simply attach my irrigation intake to a few gallons of ph.-adjusted water and go burn one and come back.

Now back to the eye candy. Here are a few shots of the current residents of the 4x2 station. A 36" White Widow on the left and a 24" White Widow on the right.

Up above, illuminating the way, each plant has a ViparSpectra XS 1500, currently set to full blast, 10" above the canopy.

In case you do not have enough eye candy, here are closer shots of the Widows.

Oh, and finally, at the other end of "This Old Coal Bin" is the boring part. Storage, a small humidifier and my drying rack.

That's the grow room. This is simply the prelude to my grow journal starting soon.

Thank you for making it this far!

MGM

Hello! I am new here. I will be posting a continuous grow journal in the next couple of days. In the mean time I'd like to give you a detailed view of my grow room and grow system.

The whole thing is built with convenience in mind from the way it was bought -- cutting 4'x8' plywood panels into 2'x4' panels at the home center so I could easily transport the materials home in my car -- to the way it was built; simply with an eye toward convenience for the grower. That's me. An old guy who isn't as strong as he was any more.

There are a total of three 2x2 workstations, and one 4x2 workstations.

Did I write workstations? While some may have skeletons in their grow closets, I have scientists. I really don't know what is worse. If this room looks like it might have been inspired by hanging out in one too many life-science labs, well ... it might have been.

Here's a look at the 4x2 on the left facing the three 2x2s on the right. In the middle back there are my nute pots with a couple of cheap drip irrigation timer/pumps on them. I use them for High-Frequency Fertigation (HFF) in pots filled with perlite.

The following two photos better show the three 2x2 stations. Each with its own purpose.

Let's take an even closer look. First the seed propagation and cloning booth. Originally designed to give plants the most room possible, with the lowest amount of room for the lights (and lowest amount of light, as well), these use 3/4" thick, 25w, 11.5X11.5 cheapo blurble lights. For breeding female plants for feminized pollen production, and allowing seed plants to seed out. The box works well.

Here it is empty.

Note the parallel cleats on the sides of the box. Those are for resting shelves. I move shelves, not lights.

And here it is shown ready for a couple of 2.7-gallon nursery pots in the nursery tray, plus the cloner down below.

The middle station is the Seedling station. Right now I'm getting ready to start an Amnesia Trance from Amsterdam Marijuana seeds. It's my favorite strain, but I've had a bit of trouble getting some seeds started. I think I got lazy. But that is beside the point.

Beneath the seedling shelf I have another nute bucket and drip irrigation timer/pump. That is for sending nutes to the veg station next door. If you ever want to try one out I suggest ordering black silicon tubing as the clear tubing set with the units I use clogs up with algae when exposed to light.

And, this is the Vegetation Station. This is where seeding transplants come to grow and get there first taste of manifolding. That's a 4'-tall grow box topped with an 18" "Light Head," featuring a ViparSpectra XS 1000 light. A perfect pairing. Inside the box is a newly manifolded Dos-Si-Dos from Pyramid Seeds and sold through 420 Magazine sponsor Seedsman.

Now, on to the juicy part! The Late Veg and Flowering station ...

See how the shelves, pots and chair all match up? Makes working EZ-PZ. And that's not all. Those 22" saucers sit on these turntable bearings:

And to enhance the mobility of the plants, I've cut these extension nipples into the line near the pots. No disconnecting the whole drip irrigation system. Very handy when flushing pots

As for flushing. I've found that using HFF in 2.7-gallon pots that flushing between nute changes is a fairly good idea. My PPMs in the runoff can get fairly high. So I make that easy. I have a special, clean saucer with a pour spout that I use for flushing. It's clean, which is important for taking PPM and ph. measurements in the runoff, and it has a pour spout. I simply attach my irrigation intake to a few gallons of ph.-adjusted water and go burn one and come back.

Now back to the eye candy. Here are a few shots of the current residents of the 4x2 station. A 36" White Widow on the left and a 24" White Widow on the right.

Up above, illuminating the way, each plant has a ViparSpectra XS 1500, currently set to full blast, 10" above the canopy.

In case you do not have enough eye candy, here are closer shots of the Widows.

Oh, and finally, at the other end of "This Old Coal Bin" is the boring part. Storage, a small humidifier and my drying rack.

That's the grow room. This is simply the prelude to my grow journal starting soon.

Thank you for making it this far!

MGM
Brilliant :bravo:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Brilliant :bravo:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎
Thank you, Bill. It took a while to figure out how to make that room work. But once I did, I learned she could really produce. This was intended to go into another room where I had a 32" x 48 " X 72" box planned. and lumber cut for a flowering box, but this current setup produces as much as I can use and give away so I have made my home there.

Love it. :thumb:
I had 5 rooms set up in my old house.
Used most of the basement but was great fun.
Until the fire. :rolleyes:
That's why I asked about the detector. :Namaste:
If you get a minute read this.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Bill,

I appreciate your concern. I'd seen a couple of other posts you made and figured you had a bad experience with fire. My sympathies.

My own 100-year-old + farmhouse had a fire long before we purchased it, and the corrections made afterward are noticeable. Every room and hallway, main floor and above, has hard-wired smoke detectors, and with the exception of high-watt appliance circuits; and every other circuit is wired with 12-gauge wire and 20-amp breakers. This is heavy-duty wiring.

The room itself draws less than 700 watts, split between two outlets on a dedicated 20-amp GFCI outlet. It is the only outlet on the circuit. All extension cords are rated for high-amp construction tools.

The boxes are lined with Reflectix Reflective Radiant barrier, which has a Class A/Class 1 Fire Rating on the Reflective/Woven Fabric/Reflective Radiant Barrier meeting all fire and smoke safety requirements of federal, state and local building codes.

I worked as an electrician's apprentice one summer, home improvement is a hobby, my local electrical inspector has high praise for my work. I've also been a landlord and have a ready supply of smoke detectors from that endeavor.

Agains, thank you for your concern!

MGM

Bill,

I appreciate your concern. I'd seen a couple of other posts you made and figured you had a bad experience with fire. My sympathies.

My own 100-year-old + farmhouse had a fire long before we purchased it, and the corrections made afterward are noticeable. Every room and hallway, main floor and above, has hard-wired smoke detectors, and with the exception of high-watt appliance circuits; and every other circuit is wired with 12-gauge wire and 20-amp breakers. This is heavy-duty wiring.

The room itself draws less than 700 watts, split between two outlets on a dedicated 20-amp GFCI outlet. It is the only outlet on the circuit. All extension cords are rated for high-amp construction tools.

The boxes are lined with Reflectix Reflective Radiant barrier, which has a Class A/Class 1 Fire Rating on the Reflective/Woven Fabric/Reflective Radiant Barrier meeting all fire and smoke safety requirements of federal, state and local building codes.

I worked as an electrician's apprentice one summer, home improvement is a hobby, my local electrical inspector has high praise for my work. I've also been a landlord and have a ready supply of smoke detectors from that endeavor.

Agains, thank you for your concern!

MGM
Nothing I like to see more :green_heart:
Great Safe set up.:adore::welldone:
I look forward to your journal.
I think we will get along like a house on fire :rofl:
Be well my friend. :thumb:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

nice set up. i also make use of shelving as a floating floor for the plants.

one note : don't run your leds full up. backing the dimming off by 5 - 10% does not cut down any significant output and will increase the total lifespan of your lights by up to 100%.

nice set up. i also make use of shelving as a floating floor for the plants.

one note : don't run your leds full up. backing the dimming off by 5 - 10% does not cut down any significant output and will increase the total lifespan of your lights by up to 100%.
Thank you, Bluter. It's good to hear. I would do that, but ...

Does it matter that these are two-year old ViparSpectra XS 1500 lights and burning them out would be the perfect excuse to upgrade to the XS 1500 Pro models? ;)

Really, thank you for pointing that out. I've read that before so reading it again is helpful. On the other hand these babies have worked hard for me and there would be no tears shed if they went out if I had to replace them with a superior next model up.

MGM

Back
Top Bottom