BHO or bubble hash?

Maybe I just haven't ran as much material for this to happen, but I got the all mesh bubble bags from BubbleBagDude and they drain super fast.

The part of the process I hate the most is separating the grades while my hands are freezing cold. I've always made it in like a 50 degree room with water that was barely above freezing. Hands will hurt constantly at those kind of temperatures.

But I still find it a lot better than risking blowing myself up in a cloud of flammable vapor.

Weasel how much material do you put into your runs? I think the max I've put in so far is about 4 or 5 ounces of nug. Got about 20 grams out of that all together.
I ran it twice using the same water the second time just topped it up with fresh water and ice. So thats probably why mine took so long lol

Weasel how much material do you put into your runs? I think the max I've put in so far is about 4 or 5 ounces of nug. Got about 20 grams out of that all together.

Pardon me, lost my internet for a while and it took me a while to find my way back to this thread.
I dig through the freezer just now and found what trimmings I could locate in that mess. A near even 450 grams of dry stuff and 250 of wet trim, failed bud, and whatever miscellaneous odds and ends I had in those containers. Looks like about two gallons when squished down in the bucket. With ice added the bucket is 4/5 full.
This is really too much bud to mix well in the bucket but I’m going to try it. I’ll probably have to expand to two buckets as I do the second and third runs and more ice and water is added. Unless I discard the water after each run and start fresh. Usually I save it all for the 25 micron bag run at the end. I usually regret doing that because the yield from the 25 bag is small and it’s a pain in the butt to drain.

Just been mixing for ten minutes now. I’m keeping the drill throttle on medium-low to try and reduce the amount of foam that tends to form. Will post what comes of this, later.

Here’s what I got. A rather disappointing amount for what went into it. But that seems to be what I think every time...
Rather than run the total collection of swill through the 25 micron bag at the end, I decided to experiment. I let the mix settle for a couple hours then siphoned it off. There’s a surprisingly large amount of glop in the bottom. It may be the wrong kind of glop. lI’m drying it out overnight to see...

I rolled it into a rough ball to cure. It will probably lose a slight amount more weight over time, but is pretty much dry now. I’ll press it and pretty it up more some time down the road. Looks like a good batch- nice and gooey.

Pardon me, lost my internet for a while and it took me a while to find my way back to this thread.
I dig through the freezer just now and found what trimmings I could locate in that mess. A near even 450 grams of dry stuff and 250 of wet trim, failed bud, and whatever miscellaneous odds and ends I had in those containers. Looks like about two gallons when squished down in the bucket. With ice added the bucket is 4/5 full.
This is really too much bud to mix well in the bucket but I’m going to try it. I’ll probably have to expand to two buckets as I do the second and third runs and more ice and water is added. Unless I discard the water after each run and start fresh. Usually I save it all for the 25 micron bag run at the end. I usually regret doing that because the yield from the 25 bag is small and it’s a pain in the butt to drain.

Just been mixing for ten minutes now. I’m keeping the drill throttle on medium-low to try and reduce the amount of foam that tends to form. Will post what comes of this, later.

Awesome weasel!. I got some trim waiting to get mixed up aswell.
Just quickly though why would you want to reduce the foam? You want foam. You want those "bubbles" hence bubblehash. The process of the bubbles popping has something to do with the extraction process.

I rolled it into a rough ball to cure. It will probably lose a slight amount more weight over time, but is pretty much dry now. I’ll press it and pretty it up more some time down the road. Looks like a good batch- nice and gooey.

That is still a nice take from trim. Almost an ounce and a half from trim. You will have to give us a smoke report.

Thanks Sam. As far as I know it’s called bubble hash because the higher grades of it bubble a bit when you heat it in the pipe.
The trichomes are heavier than water and sink to the bottom. The foam that gathers on top is just an annoyance IMO , and takes a long time to dissipate in the bags.
The glop in the bottom, after I siphoned off the water, turned it to be quite high grade. Next time I’m just going to skip the bags and try doing the whole batch by the siphon method. It’s a technique I used to use back 20 and 30 years ago when I would use it to turn crappy dealer weed into half decent hash. I posted the process somewhere - I think the beginning of my current journal.

Here’s a link to that technique. I usually leave it for about two hours but sometimes keep the siphoned water and let it settle another couple to check the quality of whatever settles after that in case I missed some.

The Hexapus's Garden

Update.
After talking to my misses she would rather smoke bubble hash than bho so we getting bubble bags lol

We went this way. And we are not regretting it. We are also able to run 1lb of flower or trim at a time. And the main costs after the bags are just ice or dry ice if you choose to go that route.

pro-tip: We tried the spoon, and that was exhausting. If you have a drill with a paint mixer attachment, it will make things a lot easier. :D

We went this way. And we are not regretting it. We are also able to run 1lb of flower or trim at a time. And the main costs after the bags are just ice or dry ice if you choose to go that route.

pro-tip: We tried the spoon, and that was exhausting. If you have a drill with a paint mixer attachment, it will make things a lot easier. :D
True thats not a bad shout. I went and bought an electric whisk though so that will do for me :p. Might do my bubble hash run tonight actually. Question.. any1 know best way to clean out your bubble bags?

i Just blast them off with the garden hose as soon I’m done all the runs. The hash is super easy to clean when wet. . If I want to de-smell them I soak them in a little bleach water for a while after as well.
Don’t leave them to dry with hash residue on them though or it will be harder to clean up and you’ll have to use a different method.

hmmm we actually had not considered this would be an issue for future runs. Is this an actual problem or do the leftover deposits once again take on more liquid properties in the presence of agitation and ice water?

It was our thought that the whirlpool of plant matter and super low temps would just re-suspend any deposits back into the water.

Oh no they definitely don’t re-suspend. Any leftover stuff sticks like glue when it dries as you may have noticed from whatever utensils/dishes/containers you used. Pure iso works a little to get it off, but it’s a chore. My personal go-to is vegetable oil. I use that to clean any sort of resin stuck to myself or my stuff. Wash well with the oil, ( may take a couple minutes scrubbing for a bad case) then use regular soap and warm water to cut the oil and clean up. It’s the only thing I’ve found works easily.

Yeah that’s what I mean by iso. Isopropyl alcohol. However as I mentioned - I find vegetable oil (cooking oil) much more effective.

At the risk of repeating myself - if the hash and plant material is left to dry, it tends to glom on the bags, clog them, and make them sticky and smelly.

Yeah we washed the bags out. So the only material remaining is the kief on the screens. Sounds like we're going to be washing the bags in ISO before our next run. We were a little worried about the alcohol damaging the screens.

Thanks for the tip!
The ISO won't hurt the bags. I've used it on my bags at least 4 times. I use it to keep them as clean as possible

Try comparing washing with some oil sometime followed by dish soap as I described. You may find it’s much less work.
Can’t say I’ve washed a clogged up bubble bag screen with oil, but I’ve done it with iso and I remember it was more work than I wanted it to be

:passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom