Can anyone identify this pathogen?

PeatearGriffin

420 Member
Hey guys.
I hope I'm posting in the appropriate place/ doing this right.
I have this problem with my almost 5 ft plant that was presenting as a deficiency but now I'm thinking its a disease.
Some background, this is my first grow by myself and things have been great up until a few weeks ago.
She was planted from bag seed April 15th.
Outdoor on my patio.
5 gallon bucket in miracle grow moisture control (my fiance wouldn't splurge on better soil until he was convinced I could grow).
I had no problems with burns I think because I was careful with my watering (did the teaspoon method for a while)
I fed NOTHING extra until the end of June when the plant shot up to 4ft and I noticed what looked like a phos and calmag deficiency.
It seemed to have started flowering as well.
I expected overfeeding not underfeeding.
Went to my local hydro/landscaping store and talked to an expert who said definitely calmag.
Picked up the fox farms gringo Rasta and also alaska fish fert and morbloom just in case.

I followed the directions on the morbloom and calmag to no avail so I figured bigger plant bigger dose.
Still the leaves are turning necrotic crunchy spreading up the plant but it grows and flowers despite this.
Maybe the ph is off?
Bought a cheap ph test. Not the ph.
A few week before it went downhill I noticed on the bottom stalk and lower leaves plack pinpoint spots.
Only on the surface. Not raised. Not shiny.
Looked almost like someone dotted it all over with a pen. But that's impossible.
Will include pics as well as a TLDR version.

TLDR;
bag seed planted April 15th
Thought I had a deficiency. Leaning towards pathogen.
There are lots of trees and plants surrounding my patio.
Right before things went to shit at the end of June I noticed black spots freckling the lower trunk and leaves.
Will include pics

Black spots and health of plant at discovery
0618191233.jpg

0618191234a.jpg

0618190611a.jpg

Progression
0629192029a.jpg
0629192032a.jpg

0629192033.jpg

Pics today, dead leaves spreading, bud sites 2 weeks give or take into flower, and full plant.

0715191328a.jpg
0715191329.jpg
0715191329_HDR.jpg
0715191353_HDR.jpg

*edited because captions went to the wrong place oops

:welcome: to the forum...

I'll wait for the pictures...
Thanks! I haven't used an actual forum in quite a few years so I'm getting used to the tech stuff again.
Pics are up. I have and can take more as that doesn't even touch some of the strange symptoms. I just don't want to overwhelm.
I truly appreciate anyone taking a look. If I can't pull this off the old man probably won't buy me any clones.
But he is the smoker. Not me.

Thanks! I haven't used an actual forum in quite a few years so I'm getting used to the tech stuff again.
Pics are up. I have and can take more as that doesn't even touch some of the strange symptoms. I just don't want to overwhelm.
I truly appreciate anyone taking a look. If I can't pull this off the old man probably won't buy me any clones.
But he is the smoker. Not me.
Those that can help you would probably want as much information as possible, medium used, nutes used, indoor/outdoor, etc. Could be any number of reasons. Mites, deficiency, or natural order of things. We shall see. I'll follow along to learn myself.

The black dots look like fly poop. They're scattered over the vein of the leaves, as well as between them, yet are grouped.

The light dots surrounded by a darker rim I've seen before in an on-line reference. I'll have a look to see it I can find it.

Cal/Mag problems can take 4-6 weeks before they show up. Affected leaves will not recover, but the new growth should be good. I tend to agree with your local expert that you had a cal/mag problem. Too much calcium could be your problem too. This blocks the uptake of magnesium, potassium, iron, and manganese. I'll keep looking in an hour or so. My plants need to be watered, and the dishes are calling.

The black dots look like fly poop. They're scattered over the vein of the leaves, as well as between them, yet are grouped.

The light dots surrounded by a darker rim I've seen before in an on-line reference. I'll have a look to see it I can find it.

Cal/Mag problems can take 4-6 weeks before they show up. Affected leaves will not recover, but the new growth should be good. I tend to agree with your local expert that you had a cal/mag problem. Too much calcium could be your problem too. This blocks the uptake of magnesium, potassium, iron, and manganese. I'll keep looking in an hour or so. My plants need to be watered, and the dishes are calling.

Caterpillar poop crossed my mind. It just looked almost part of the plant.

I hypothesized that possibly the deficiency was so bad it might continue to spread more before it got better.
I never expected to get this far because my expectations are realistic and low.

Our tap water is VERY hard. I watered with RO bottles water until the plant was just too big.
There was a fungal disease that I read up on that has similar effects but won't kill or prevent the plant from growing. Just reduce yields. Can't remember the name now.
Anyway, thanks for looking! I really appreciate it.
Darn those dishes never end though!

Forgot to mention. I'm still seeing newer growth affected.
Leaves that started out pristine when I caught the problem are starting to go bad still.

Have you checked the root ball? She may be root bound.
They start throwing up all kinds of weird leaves and such from being root bound.
She has a light color as well. Looks hungry.

Go with @Virgin ground's recommendation to check the root system. I'm scratching my head, as it's not something I recognize. The color of the spots is backwards from what I've seen (dark center with light border vs light border with dark edges).

@Virgin ground
@Old Salt
Alright guys. Root bound already you think?
I was generally surprised at how fast the roots grow. When they showed sex and I pulled the males sometime mid June they had a lot of room. But a lot of new growth has happened too.
How would I check that without repotting again?

I always think she looked on the light side too. Especially in certain light.
The males whom I treated exactly the same up until pulling were deep green with fat leaves.
Never figured out why they seemed healthier looking and she grew faster then the others as well.
I'll see if she's root bound first though.

@Virgin ground
@Old Salt
Alright guys. Root bound already you think?
I was generally surprised at how fast the roots grow. When they showed sex and I pulled the males sometime mid June they had a lot of room. But a lot of new growth has happened too.
How would I check that without repotting again?

I always think she looked on the light side too. Especially in certain light.
The males whom I treated exactly the same up until pulling were deep green with fat leaves.
Never figured out why they seemed healthier looking and she grew faster then the others as well.
I'll see if she's root bound first though.
Smack the sides of the pot as you turn it until the plant can be gently pulled out of the pot. it should be apparent if she is root bound. It's easier to do if she hasn't been watered that day.
Sometimes you can see their roots coming out of the drainage holes.

If you need a visual, do a search on your browser for How to repot large plants. It usually includes the "unpotting" step.

TLDR;
bag seed planted April 15th
Thought I had a deficiency. Leaning towards pathogen.
There are lots of trees and plants surrounding my patio.
Right before things went to shit at the end of June I noticed black spots freckling the lower trunk and leaves.
Will include pics

Black spots and health of plant at discovery
0618191233.jpg

0618191234a.jpg

0618190611a.jpg

Progression
0629192029a.jpg
0629192032a.jpg

0629192033.jpg

Pics today, dead leaves spreading, bud sites 2 weeks give or take into flower, and full plant.

0715191328a.jpg
0715191329.jpg
0715191329_HDR.jpg
0715191353_HDR.jpg

*edited because captions went to the wrong place oops
Those black dots are honest to goodness fly shit and your lower leaf issue is cal mag.

Back
Top Bottom