CBD Medical strain forum

There have been several inquiries by folks seeking high CBD or no THC strains. It took me a while to find this information a year ago.

Who's to say which strains are truly medical? With all the conditions being treated every strain probably has some medicinal value. There are folks who abuse it, just like all medical substances.

There are folks who abuse it, just like all medical substances.

Been there, got a T-shirt. ;)

If it does what you need it's medical for sure but I'm into the CBD stuff after 50 years of messing with pot and the proper balance is what I strive for.

YMMV

:peace:

Looking forward to read what tidbits of wisdom you post here.

The way I prepare and use cannabis, it is medicinal, whether or not the strain is high or low in THC and/or CBD. I don't like getting high, so how much I use as a cooking herb or as a tincture is very important to me.

I've learned from trail and error how much to sprinkle over my omlettes, put into my soups and stews, and what serving size gives me the pain and inflammation relief I need at my age.

So, I have you on my watch and notification lists. :popcorn:

Already a whole section of the Forum dedicated to "Medical":

So there is already a place for "strain reviews", "methods of medication" etc...Far as the growing part goes it's not any different that I"m aware of. What you do with it afterwords for sure it can be depending on what you are doing with it.

So many folks trying to "jump on the bandwagon" so to speak that seeds/flowers of "Strain X" may be "medical" from one Breeder and "Strain X" may be totally different at another far as the percentages go or far as "effects" go, and for that matter even the Genetics involved as in example there is quite a few "Blueberry" strains around and they didn't come from the same parents necessarily (and I'm not going to get started on the "is it even what they say it is" as I will write a book instead of a post ;) :rofl: ). As consistency can be an issue to a point, and being in a Legal State where they test everything and give you % numbers doesn't always help, as a specific "Strain" at one Dispensary can be different at another Dispensary, especially if from a different Grower, as the numbers help to a point but not always as I have had some 15% stuff kick me in the head just as hard (or harder) as some of the 29% stuff. As I need/prefer an "up" high and have had a Strain that works for so I buy some again and it knocks my arse out (which I only want before bedtime (if at all) as I need to be "intact" being my old lady's caregiver). Why I prefer growing my own, but I see Strains I want to try so I buy small amounts from time to time, that and I like to mix it up and not smoke the same thing for weeks at a time so need enough different ones for a rotation so to speak.

Already a whole section of the Forum dedicated to "Medical":

So there is already a place for "strain reviews", "methods of medication" etc...Far as the growing part goes it's not any different that I"m aware of. What you do with it afterwords for sure it can be depending on what you are doing with it.

So many folks trying to "jump on the bandwagon" so to speak that seeds/flowers of "Strain X" may be "medical" from one Breeder and "Strain X" may be totally different at another far as the percentages go or far as "effects" go, and for that matter even the Genetics involved as in example there is quite a few "Blueberry" strains around and they didn't come from the same parents necessarily (and I'm not going to get started on the "is it even what they say it is" as I will write a book instead of a post ;):rofl: ). As consistency can be an issue to a point, and being in a Legal State where they test everything and give you % numbers doesn't always help, as a specific "Strain" at one Dispensary can be different at another Dispensary, especially if from a different Grower, as the numbers help to a point but not always as I have had some 15% stuff kick me in the head just as hard (or harder) as some of the 29% stuff. As I need/prefer an "up" high and have had a Strain that works for so I buy some again and it knocks my arse out (which I only want before bedtime (if at all) as I need to be "intact" being my old lady's caregiver). Why I prefer growing my own, but I see Strains I want to try so I buy small amounts from time to time, that and I like to mix it up and not smoke the same thing for weeks at a time so need enough different ones for a rotation so to speak.

As is the case when dealing with plant genetics, even two plants in the same grow, same strain, can produce different effects, depending on how the genes were mixed in each seed. Every tincture is different. Every jar of ground cannabis is different, esp if you mix everything together, like I do to fill a jar.

So, in my experience, it's all about experimenting with the dosage. The way I just willy-nilly sprinkle it on my food, there is no scientific way to measure "a dose" to obtain a specific result. I think we got spoiled having our meds dispensed in carefully-calibrated dosages, such as pills and liquids. We have to approach every cannabis extraction as an experiment, until we find our dosages for that particular run of meds. (oils, tinctures, dried herbs, fresh or cured).

:nomo:

As is the case when dealing with plant genetics, even two plants in the same grow, same strain, can produce different effects, depending on how the genes were mixed in each seed. Every tincture is different. Every jar of ground cannabis is different, esp if you mix everything together, like I do to fill a jar.

Even two colas on the same plant can be different. These differences are what I am trying to overcome. My first attempt was to decarboxylate, grind, mix, and encapsulate the flowers. It worked after a fashion. I guesstimate, as I can't currently measure, that the result has about a ±30% consistency. That's not so good, as going from weakest to strongest is almost an 86% jump in the dosage.

My next attempt will be as follows:
  1. use a rosin press to perform an extraction
  2. mix three parts coconut oil to one part rosin
  3. decarboxylate and check cannabinoid content using TLC (Thin Layer Chromatography)
  4. adjust CBD and THC by mixing strains and adding coconut oil
  5. re-check cannabinoid content using TLC
  6. encapsulate the result, and

Try it out

I don't decarb with heat. I cure it for at least a month. It just takes the compounds longer to mature. And I don't loose any terpenes or evaporate away any other healing compounds. Must be why my ground leaves, pods, and mini-buds don't get me high.

I DO, however, jar up and properly cure in the fridge the buds my family likes. Family isn't coming to Gramma for goodies like they used to, so the stores are slowly building up.

I just finished a test plant of a supposed 1:1 strain. Hy-1 Hiydrow from Medical Marijuana Genetics. I have some lower back problems so thought I would give it a try for that. Also thought it might be good for a night time smoke to guarantee a good sleep. Anyway it turned out pretty nice so I have another in early veg now to grow "full size". I have tried only a tiny sample so can't comment much but it is some sticky tasty cannabis for sure, pretty mellow buzz I think.

I just finished a test plant of a supposed 1:1 strain. Hy-1 Hiydrow from Medical Marijuana Genetics. I have some lower back problems so thought I would give it a try for that. Also thought it might be good for a night time smoke to guarantee a good sleep. Anyway it turned out pretty nice so I have another in early veg now to grow "full size". I have tried only a tiny sample so can't comment much but it is some sticky tasty cannabis for sure, pretty mellow buzz I think.

She sure looks EVIIIIILLLLLLL! :thedoubletake:

Looking forward to read what tidbits of wisdom you post here.

The way I prepare and use cannabis, it is medicinal, whether or not the strain is high or low in THC and/or CBD. I don't like getting high, so how much I use as a cooking herb or as a tincture is very important to me.

I've learned from trail and error how much to sprinkle over my omlettes, put into my soups and stews, and what serving size gives me the pain and inflammation relief I need at my age.

So, I have you on my watch and notification lists. :popcorn:
Take a look at Master Hemp. It's a brand new strain with a HUGE 12-16% CBD and only 0.2%THC

Yep 32:1 CBD

I have successfully bred Harlequin and have a healthy stock of seeds. A bit pale, but some of them might sprout. the Harley male also doused my Afghani Lady, so the addition of a sturdy stem and vigorous growth to the mix.

From another site: Harlequin almost always develops a CBD:THC ratio of 5:2, making this strain one of the most effective out there for treatment of pain and anxiety, as CBD can counteract THC’s paranoia while amplifying its painkilling properties.

Just for comparison.

My best cross is GDP x ACDC aka Blue Balls, well that I like the best anyways

Tested at ruffly a 17%/14% THC/CBD

The GDP is a fantastic medical Strains with a profile many plants don't have
With the ACDC added CBD, it's an incredible medical strain indeed

I’m particularly interested in the pain modulating ability of balanced chemovars. I don’t have pain to treat, thank goodness, so I’m limited to the sharing of others.

I’d be interested in hearing a little more about how effective you found Hy-1 Hiydrow. How are you dosing, and at what levels?

We have so many members with chronic pain. The clinical line is that you want a 1:1 ratio to effectively treat the condition. I’m always curious as to how that plays out in the real world.

The million dollar question: Do we have to give up getting high to manage chronic pain? I don’t see myself ever being ready to give up being righteously buzzed. This was my retirement plan all along. :laughtwo:

Seriously....if we need to temper euphoria to manage chronic pain then this is something I want to find a way to make more palatable to persons like me who are bound to resist.

That Master hemp strain I mentioned I purchased some seeds from seedsman. They came in the breeder pack with some of the information. You're supposed to grow those from seed till Harvest Under 12 12 light.

Interesting..... I wonder if that benefits CBD expression? This is the first I’ve heard of this. If that’s the case then does that translate over to other CBD-dominant chemovars? I’ll bring it up at the CBD Joy thread and see if anyone offers more insight.

@OldMedUser, nice thread. :thumb:

The clinical line is that you want a 1:1 ratio to effectively treat the condition. I’m always curious as to how that plays out in the real world.
I’m still experimenting with that. Do I take 1:1 with my oils and then happily vape on top when i feel like it, need a higher dose, or want to get high? Or do I take CBD in oil and then THC seperately in oil or the vape? Decisions, experiments. It is fun working it out!
The million dollar question: Do we have to give up getting high to manage chronic pain?
I sure hope not! :eek:
I don’t see myself ever being ready to give up being righteously buzzed. This was my retirement plan all along. :laughtwo:
:high-five:

Chronic pain can fluctuate too. Sometimes an acute episode requires quick hits of high THC. Other times a sub-psychoactive 1:1 taken at intervals is enough. For me it depends a lot on various factors that are always changing. That’s part of what makes it such a great medicine - it’s adaptable.

Also - you know how I’ve posted in the past about how the high effect is less pronounced when the pain is bad - like when the cannabinoids have serious work to do modulating pain, they don’t produce the same highs I can get on low pain days? And we’ve discussed this a bit a couple of times, right? Well in my recent course Samantha Miller (or Mara Gordon - i’ll Have to check) actually said this is a fairly well documented phenomenon. :D

So no, you don’t have to give up getting high to treat chronic pain - but when the pain is really bad, sometimes the high is not as high. Pain is massively dismissed tho and sometimes that’s as good :cheesygrinsmiley:

Haha - thought i was in the Cannabis Oil Study Hall when i posted that.

I’m yet to grow a 1:1 chemovar. The 2:1 was ok but I found myself reaching for more THC. I’ve just harvested a Candida CD-1 and plan to make a 1:1 blend with a high THC oil and see how that goes. I have seed for a 1:1 from Dope Seeds - Dr CBD - which they say is 5-10%:5-10%. That’s a bit of range raeally and it seems that you could easily end up wth a 2:1 or otherwise depending on the particular expression of the plant.

I like Candida CD-1 as a choice because of the tested stability. We can never be sure, of course, unless we test somehow, and without access to testing myself, I like the stats on the CD-1

A known-to-be stable 1:1 would be a good find :Namaste:

My best cross is GDP x ACDC aka Blue Balls, well that I like the best anyways

Tested at ruffly a 17%/14% THC/CBD

The GDP is a fantastic medical Strains with a profile many plants don't have
With the ACDC added CBD, it's an incredible medical strain indeed

I sure wish the GDP seeds from 420 were more viable. Weird exception too, because the others I have gotten (many) have been among the most reliably vigorous ones out there. I got 40 or 60 GDPs (a few 10+10 deals) and not a single one made it to maturity. Each vendor seems to have that one difficult strain.

Back
Top Bottom