Drilling a hole in the bucket

DesertSmoke

Slowly getting it all together and now I have low end question. I figure rather than drill a hole the wrong size someone here can answer me so I don't destroy a high dollar Lowes bucket....
I bought 1/2 inch rubber grommets for putting 90 degree elbows in and attaching the pretty blue hose to that so I can do both of seeing water level in the buckets and 2nd have an attached drain hose on my buckets of a DWC setup.
See my question yet ? what size hole do I drill in the bucket for the 1/2 inch grommet ?
peace...:Namaste:

Thanks for the replies JAFO and Dr. Fish. I will try the spade bit since the Unibit is 54 bucks. Can't see spending that amount plus tax for 3 holes.

The old standard of the wood bit at 13/16th worked perfectly. I used my digital calipers to measure the rubber grommets groove before cutting. Thx Dr. Fish for the wood bit idea as I was planning on a regular drill bit but it was melting my test plastics......This bit did not heat up the plastic and left a perfect hole. I did need to add a touch of silicone aquarium sealant to make the fit water tight as the bucket walls were just a bit thinner than the groove in the grommet.
Once the sealant dried, the hoses and elbows attached, I now have a set of DWC buckets that let me see the water levels inside the buckets and also a drain for them with the water changes needed. The blue tinted hoses attached to the buckets are leak free.
Just for info, I tested each bucket for several hours (full of water) to be sure of the leak free status. I can only imagine the pain it would be to learn after setting everything up that a leak in all the buckets was because of not checking my work.

I had problems getting the grommets in the 13/16" hole, so I used the 3/4" spade bit and that was a tight fit. No leaks. Enjoy

save your money... drill a hole 1/16 smaller than the tubing you want to use, cut one end at an angle and 'pull' (should be kinda hard) thru from inside container.. WATERPROOF!

Back
Top Bottom