Drying and curing indoor grow

RagnarLothbrok

Hey guys so I should be harvesting in roughly 5-7 weeks, I'm just curious about drying and curing.

This is my first grow and its in a closet, now with my harvest I could easily hang my stems in my closet to dry but how long should that take it's roughly sitting around 20° a little above some times 1 or 2 under Celsius

So that's drying and then how long should I cure, like put it in a mason jar and where should I store the mason jar and how do I not over dry or under dry my bud and prevent mold from occurring?

Hey guys so I should be harvesting in roughly 5-7 weeks, I'm just curious about drying and curing.

This is my first grow and its in a closet, now with my harvest I could easily hang my stems in my closet to dry but how long should that take it's roughly sitting around 20° a little above some times 1 or 2 under Celsius

So that's drying and then how long should I cure, like put it in a mason jar and where should I store the mason jar and how do I not over dry or under dry my bud and prevent mold from occurring?
Im gonna be using the cardboard box and string method. Itll give a nice even dry. Poke even spaced holes in both sides of a cardboard box run some string through from hole to opposite hole and then tie it off nice and tight. Home made drybox. The fact that its sealed will bring the moisture outta the buds to the surface and the cardboard will also help pull moisture out. How long you dry for depends on too many factors. Some people say you dry until the branch snaps clean. I personally think thats too long. If you break it and hear a nice crisp break but its still attached I would say thats spot on to start curing.
Keep your mason jars in a cool dark place (sun light degrades thc). You could get round this by just getting black food grade buckets (also cheaper) but if you're more comfortable with glass jars I understand

Im gonna be using the cardboard box and string method. Itll give a nice even dry. Poke even spaced holes in both sides of a cardboard box run some string through from hole to opposite hole and then tie it off nice and tight. Home made drybox. The fact that its sealed will bring the moisture outta the buds to the surface and the cardboard will also help pull moisture out. How long you dry for depends on too many factors. Some people say you dry until the branch snaps clean. I personally think thats too long. If you break it and hear a nice crisp break but its still attached I would say thats spot on to start curing.
Keep your mason jars in a cool dark place (sun light degrades thc). You could get round this by just getting black food grade buckets (also cheaper) but if you're more comfortable with glass jars I understand
I've never heard of the cardboard box method, I'll give it a search o YouTube or Google
And as for storing the mason jar, I have a cold room that people early go in we pretty much just store our junk In there atm besides my hunting stuff, I could put the mason jar there?

I'll take a temp before though, what's the ideal temp to let it sit at I'm assuming you don't want it too cold or too warm?

I've never heard of the cardboard box method, I'll give it a search o YouTube or Google
And as for storing the mason jar, I have a cold room that people early go in we pretty much just store our junk In there atm besides my hunting stuff, I could put the mason jar there?

I'll take a temp before though, what's the ideal temp to let it sit at I'm assuming you don't want it too cold or too warm?
You would think that but actually the slower the dry the better. @SweetSue has been messing with a fridge for drying in!. Definitely dont want it too hot though. Warm and humid no good thats a breeding ground for bacteria. Cold and slightly humid however you can kinda get away with, just means a longer dry. Which as I said can be a good thing. Retains the most flavour and thc SO IVE HEARD. I havent tried the fridge method yet and wont be just yet as I was refused permission to use the unused mini fridge that I actually have available :( lol

But yer that sounds like the perfect place to store your jars.
Sounds good man it's probably the best place too,
I germinated seeds in there a few years ago and forgot about them for 3 weeks my tap roots were a good 5 inches long and the paper dryer was all dried out rip aha
So I know it's a good place to start only fair to end the harvest there

Also when you seal the weed in the mason jar wouldn't the air trapped inside be dangerous for mold to start, also what's the best environment for drying
Temp wise, would a fan be good? Blowing on the buds or just circulating air in the room
I just want a good dry and good cure with the lowest risk next to none for mold to grow

Sounds good man it's probably the best place too,
I germinated seeds in there a few years ago and forgot about them for 3 weeks my tap roots were a good 5 inches long and the paper dryer was all dried out rip aha
So I know it's a good place to start only fair to end the harvest there

Also when you seal the weed in the mason jar wouldn't the air trapped inside be dangerous for mold to start, also what's the best environment for drying
Temp wise, would a fan be good? Blowing on the buds or just circulating air in the room
I just want a good dry and good cure with the lowest risk next to none for mold to grow
You should burp the jars everyday anyway and leave em open for like a half hour. When you've dried and put em in the jars if you see any condensation build up hang em straight back up to dry longer. A fan pushing the air around the room would be better, direct wind will dry bits out quicker than others. We want a nice even dry

You should burp the jars everyday anyway and leave em open for like a half hour. When you've dried and put em in the jars if you see any condensation build up hang em straight back up to dry longer. A fan pushing the air around the room would be better, direct wind will dry bits out quicker than others. We want a nice even dry
When I dry them they'll still be on the stems obviously, and when curing I'm gonna have the buds in the jar, so I wouldn't be able to re hang them to dry
But I have heard of burping, would I just leave them in the jar or should I empty the jar on a tray leave it out for like 20-30 minutes then rejar it to avoid condensation? I've seen another person do that any concerns with letting them out of the jar everyday? Is that too often to burp or what

I should a knowledge if I havnt already this is my first grow
I have some pics I took about a week ago of my plants I'll post :

These pics were just over a week ago their looking extremely better now
The strain is White Widow Fem

When I dry them they'll still be on the stems obviously, and when curing I'm gonna have the buds in the jar, so I wouldn't be able to re hang them to dry
But I have heard of burping, would I just leave them in the jar or should I empty the jar on a tray leave it out for like 20-30 minutes then rejar it to avoid condensation? I've seen another person do that any concerns with letting them out of the jar everyday? Is that too often to burp or what

I should a knowledge if I havnt already this is my first grow
I have some pics I took about a week ago of my plants I'll post :

These pics were just over a week ago their looking extremely better now
The strain is White Widow Fem
It would maybe be a good idea to do that once or twice at first as you are airing on the side of caution. After that just opening the lid for half hour will suffice. The more you toss it about and get it in n out of the jars the more trichomes your taking off, also your releasing a lot of turpenes which is your flavour and smell and who the hell wants that right? Lol

Ideal temps are 50-70F....Ideal Relative humidity for curing is 60-65%. I dry in our root cellar which is dark and cool and ranges from 50-70% RH, but I just keep checking on the bids to make sure they don't get too dry. You can always dry more...hard to rehydrate too dry buds. I then keep them in half gallon mason jars with 62% Boveda packets in there.

Light and high temps degrade the quality of buds (and most other organics) so if you have a cool dark place def use it.

:goodluck:

Ideal temps are 50-70F....Ideal Relative humidity for curing is 60-65%. I dry in our root cellar which is dark and cool and ranges from 50-70% RH, but I just keep checking on the bids to make sure they don't get too dry. You can always dry more...hard to rehydrate too dry buds. I then keep them in half gallon mason jars with 62% Boveda packets in there.

Light and high temps degrade the quality of buds (and most other organics) so if you have a cool dark place def use it.

:goodluck:
I have my cold room i think that would be perfect, Also, you know those small crystalline packets you get when you buy a shirt, pencil case, etc that retains mostiure in packages to make it like not get moldy and stays fresh

Would that be good to put in the jar with or best to leave the jar filled with bugs nothing else
Also how long do you cute Bud said after a week youdont need to burp anymore but when is the most efficient time to stop for my yield

Also when drying, my plants and buds won't turn yello when the stem is cut off and it's hanging to dry will it? How long is best to prevent from discolouring of death
I know people say till it snaps but not to hard to snap a little flexibility in their and a nice snap is perfect
But how long roughly like 10 days? Less, more? I know it varies with each strain and batch but as a general guideline what would you say?

I have my cold room i think that would be perfect, Also, you know those small crystalline packets you get when you buy a shirt, pencil case, etc that retains mostiure in packages to make it like not get moldy and stays fresh

Would that be good to put in the jar with or best to leave the jar filled with bugs nothing else
Also how long do you cute Bud said after a week youdont need to burp anymore but when is the most efficient time to stop for my yield

Also when drying, my plants and buds won't turn yello when the stem is cut off and it's hanging to dry will it? How long is best to prevent from discolouring of death
I know people say till it snaps but not to hard to snap a little flexibility in their and a nice snap is perfect
But how long roughly like 10 days? Less, more? I know it varies with each strain and batch but as a general guideline what would you say?
Id say burp for a week. Dry really does vary too much. To give you a proper guess. You will have to do the snap method brother. Could take anywhere between 3 days to a week n half lol

DO NOT use those cheap ass Chinese packing things...invest in Boveda..they are like $1 each for a half gallon jar.

I harvest my plant by cutting off main limbs, cutting them into 12-16" lengths so I can handle them, then removing major fans...then I wash in 5-gallon buckets (first bucket has 1/2 cup lemon juice/1/2 cup baking soda, second and third are clean water rinse). I wash because buds are sticky and I am in a GH and there is pollen, hair, dust, etc. Same as indoors...seeing the nasty first bucket makes you a believer. Then I let those dry for about a week in a hanging mesh dryer (which I love). Spread them out so there is a air flow. I start checking them after about 5 days...the outside of the bud should feel "dry", but they are still moist on the inside. When I think they are getting "close" (usually day 7) I trim the buds off the stem and throw them back on the mesh overnight (or two if the buds are bigger). Then I put a handful in a half gallon mason jar with a $10 hygrometer and close it. Wait 2 hours and check the humidity. If it is over 70%, I let all of it dry for another day (or two) in the mesh dryer. Repeat jar test. When it is anywhere from 63-66% I am confident to leave it in the jar (without burping) with the Boveda 62% packs...the burping is for chloryphyll off gassing and after 7-10 days of air drying that is all gone. The Boveda will regulate the RH and you let is cure for (preferably) 2 months before you consider it "cured". I have jars that are almost a year old and I plan on trying to get some even longer....

DO NOT use those cheap ass Chinese packing things...invest in Boveda..they are like $1 each for a half gallon jar.

I harvest my plant by cutting off main limbs, cutting them into 12-16" lengths so I can handle them, then removing major fans...then I wash in 5-gallon buckets (first bucket has 1/2 cup lemon juice/1/2 cup baking soda, second and third are clean water rinse). I wash because buds are sticky and I am in a GH and there is pollen, hair, dust, etc. Same as indoors...seeing the nasty first bucket makes you a believer. Then I let those dry for about a week in a hanging mesh dryer (which I love). Spread them out so there is a air flow. I start checking them after about 5 days...the outside of the bud should feel "dry", but they are still moist on the inside. When I think they are getting "close" (usually day 7) I trim the buds off the stem and throw them back on the mesh overnight (or two if the buds are bigger). Then I put a handful in a half gallon mason jar with a $10 hygrometer and close it. Wait 2 hours and check the humidity. If it is over 70%, I let all of it dry for another day (or two) in the mesh dryer. Repeat jar test. When it is anywhere from 63-66% I am confident to leave it in the jar (without burping) with the Boveda 62% packs...the burping is for chloryphyll off gassing and after 7-10 days of air drying that is all gone. The Boveda will regulate the RH and you let is cure for (preferably) 2 months before you consider it "cured". I have jars that are almost a year old and I plan on trying to get some even longer....

What is this “washing” your weed you speak of? It scares me, so I’m interested...

He mean washing his grow buckets out after every use/harvest I believe
Yer for real quite a few people wash their buds before drying. If your girls are nice and frosty it shouldnt be a problem. The oils are a moisture barrier so you're literally just washing away the dust and nastiness that has gathered on them

Back
Top Bottom