Early Sexing Clones In Hempy Cups

I would normally be inclined to Top and or FIM them, however I have a limited space at the moment with very small windows of light. So getting them high enough to poke up and compete with the big girl has been my priority. Currently I'm considering just letting them go and seeing what and how they behave.

On another note though, I'm considering what would happen if one had a large number of smaller cup/buckets and just let them veg for about a month and then stretch without any topping into flower. If one could get 3-6grams out of each and multiply that by the number of cups the yield might be interesting.
What do you do when they stretch too close to the light? Can't raise the light because of the main plant.

What do you do when they stretch too close to the light? Can't raise the light because of the main plant.
Right now the #1&2 clones are at level with the main plant, and they are still on a box to raise them off the floor of the tent about 4 inches. Currently my light is set at 24inches above the main plant and the clones are off to the side getting only about 350PAR. I have approxmately 18" of head clearance above the lights at this point, and as the plant goes into flower the recommended distance between light and flowering begins to close as the flowering mature. At this point I'm not really concerned about distance, will cross that bridge if it shows up. Worse case, I'll put some window screen on the lights like @FelipeBlu has done to soften the impact and reduce the PAR reading. Just a note, currently all the way around the outside of my tent the PAR readings are qt 350 to 400. Directly below and in the middle between the lights the current PAR is between 600-700. Almost a perfect range from what I have been researching and reading.

In the spirit of experimentation I decided to transplant the smallest #3 plant I call the Runt. Using a one gallon plastic waste basket and 3/1 perlite/vermiculite mix the procedure seems to have gone very easily.
Lots of very nice little bud sites popping up on the stem, even down lower than I expected. Must be part of that great penetration from the Perfect Sun Mini Lights.

Time for a few update photo's. First up are Clone's 1 & 2.
Here's a couple of shots of #1 just full of bud sites all the way up and down the stem.
Here's #2 Not quite up to the same numbers but still impressive I think
Finally a couple of shots of the Runt #3
Considering how far behind this little one was in the beginning, she's doing awesome.
She's doing very well with lots of bud sites also.
What's impressive is the cluster of sites towards the top and the reduced node distance up at the top. I'm guessing once they all got closer to the net and receiving more directly light the nodes spacing began to close up. GO! Go! Gadget PS Mini's.

I took out the scalpel this morning and trimmed as recommended. Actually did all three of my Hempy clones. Prevailing opinion is the little tiny buds down below would be a waste of energy during the flowering and more of a waste of time during harvest. I'm sure I will have plenty off of my big girl Rae.

I tend to be of the opinion that if they will never be more then spindly little buds, and they already are spindly little buds they’ve already reached their full potential. The tops on the other hand are little buds that might turn into a bit bigger nugs, especially with the extra energy devoted to them.

I did the same thing when sexing my current ladies and honestly I was so much happier with the way the clones flowered than the moms that I'm working on a perpetual SOG setup for my new run.
And the smoke was like KAPOW!
Now I'm preparing a bunch of clones to go to flower around 8-10" high in small containers pushed tight together and leaving the moms in Veg

Here's a more current pic of some of my clones waiting to go into flower...
I'm experimenting with 5.5"x5.5" pots in 10x20 seedling trays. I can fit 8 plants perfectly in a 1'x2' footprint and have a little basin that I can easily remove excess runoff. My goal is to have 6 trays (8 clones/ea.) in a rotation to harvest a few oz every 2 weeks instead of staring at my bloom room for months on end waiting for big plants to finish, etc.

I'm experimenting with 5.5"x5.5" pots in 10x20 seedling trays. I can fit 8 plants perfectly in a 1'x2' footprint and have a little basin that I can easily remove excess runoff. My goal is to have 6 trays (8 clones/ea.) in a rotation to harvest a few oz every 2 weeks instead of staring at my bloom room for months on end waiting for big plants to finish, etc.
Southern, I'm interested in the small size tent you have. What is it's height and make? That foot print size looks perfect for doing small hempy cup veg cycles, like your application.

Hi BTzGrow!
I found it on amazon for like $100. The one I bought isn't avail but they have a 2.0 version now under several generic brands, but definitely not a big name like gorilla...
my only gripe was that it didn't come with instructions, so after 45 min of trial/error I figured it out.

it's 24x36x53" and fits my needs in a small space. In the pics you see both levels of the 12x24 side.
I have a separate bloom cabinet that's 24x48x72 and I added the tent to assist in perpetual grows but I could run small plants perpetually in the tent alone if it came to it. But I was planning to use the 2x2 side as a mother/clone area, then use the 1x2 shelves for vegging the clones, then move them to the cabinet for the flower cycle, etc. Expirement in progress!

It has a curtain that velcros in to make a separate 2x2 footprint and the 1x2 area has a small shelf that I can put little clones/seedlings on under LED, CFL, or t-5's. I was using some 2' T-5's until I found some 17W LEDs at the hardware store that put off less heat.
I currently have the 2x2 side running flower while my bloom box is running OT with some plants that were supposed to be 8 week and aren't finished yet at 11 weeks. SMH

Southern, thanks for sharing. That set up looks very flexable and certainly gives you the option of having different growing areas. If I could just create more space. Somehow I think that is heard often in our indoor growing world. :hmmmm: Gorilla did have a short version series when I bought mine, but appear to have discontinued them in the moment. I like the shelve idea in yours, especially for growing shorter plants in veg. Very cool!

I also am limited on space and this one's sitting on a shelf where I had a bunch of paint cans piled up in the garage.
Just build a little shelf over the paint and squeezed the tent on top. Yeah, I gotta stand on a bucket to water the plants in the back but so far it's working!

My Tent #1 is 30” x 18” x 36” seems like it would be a good size for the hempire. Of course it says it’s unavailable

I also have a 24” x 24” I use for drying which is pretty small for any living plants IMO. Although I think I’ll put my cloner in there eventually.

Back
Top Bottom