First Time Grower: Mars Hydro SP3000, Gorilla Grow Tent, White Widow & Strawberry Cough

All that light definitely will blow ur plants out fast def can’t wait to see some buds
You and me both!! :yummy: I am really looking forward to seeing how the two strawberry coughs do; wasn’t as big out west with my circle of friends as we were more into Champagne, AK-47 and WW so this will be a treat!

You and me both!! :yummy: I am really looking forward to seeing how the two strawberry coughs do; wasn’t as big out west with my circle of friends as we were more into Champagne, AK-47 and WW so this will be a treat!
I’ve done strawberry cough it was my first gro so it did ok but she def was a big plant will def run it again but I’ve herd good things from it were you get ur beans I think I got mine years ago off msnl

I’ve done strawberry cough it was my first gro so it did ok but she def was a big plant will def run it again but I’ve herd good things from it were you get ur beans I think I got mine years ago off msnl
I ordered the seeds from Crop King (local to me); I’ll order from them again cause the plants look quite strong.

Sept 15, 2020 Continued with training:
AD4AE7BA-DD56-43F7-BEC9-6761FF246E46.jpeg
D2F4BCD3-85AE-4F7D-9820-BD74C1E376B0.jpeg
8E1E6736-4692-4C88-A249-98166061BD9F.jpeg

September 17, 2020 Watering Update

Was planning on watering all four plants but the two white widows aren’t drinking as much as the strawberry cough so they’ll get watered tomorrow. I used nutrients on the last feed so just ph water was used for this round.
D7B09F42-D9F4-44B9-BF6C-E97075BFCD1D.jpeg
65BB6FE2-066D-4457-A60A-1B472C9B2F0D.jpeg

I am starting to think about flipping to flower soon; I did some defoliation today in preparation.
ACF97A3D-2BCC-439D-87B6-5EE0444DFA15.jpeg

I have the scrog net to put in and get ready for flowering which I’m thinking will be Sunday or Monday. Thoughts? Uncharted territory for me over her!
A0E3D5BC-AB63-4F7C-8FC2-F4A8158CF6EE.jpeg

Update Sept 20, 2020

Watered the two Strawberry Coughs today with Medi-One, Ocean Magic and Rezin from the Green Planet kit. They are definitely drinking faster than the two White Widows (I have 3 WW but I fucked one, Clarice, by stunting it and I have not watered it for over a week cause the pot is still quite heavy).

Is it possible for a shocked plant to stop drinking and then hold the water in the pot for 7 plus days?

below is a strawberry cough; they smell unbelievable and are throwing off a much stronger smell in comparison to the WW... so strong!
36829F0D-F376-47C7-9F1A-6653050DBE09.jpeg

I have been defoliating and training and they bounce back so quickly. Clarice is the stunted Widow and she has to go, which is hard for me but....I need the space in the tent; should i put her out on the patio or plant it somewhere remote?:yummy:

You can see how she is struggling in comparison
B274B3A8-6DA1-49D7-9C24-77C4E77D63C6.jpeg

Also, huge decision on my part. I normally only want to buy once and usually budget accordingly however, I am not satisfied with my inline fan so I ordered an AC Infinity T6 Cloudline with carbon filter and ducting which arrives tomorrow.

I’ll use my current 4” inline fan with carbon filter to bring in air and the new 6” to remove. The reason for the purchase: the noise of the current fan is so loud that I turn it off at night; I wake up often throughout the night to walk my old dog and when I come back in the door I can smell the grow tent.

Wife is understandably losing enthusiasm due to the noise/smell; hopefully the new fan will drastically reduce the noise and allow me to continuously run it (keep it on as low a setting as possible, my tent is only 2x4x7).
D2AD67FF-7E04-421F-AE77-03B5D5B4B350.jpeg

I love growing my own and wish I had found it earlier; I’m so grateful to be able to legally do this now!

I hope you are all smoking along and enjoying the ride! Thanks for reading!
630BB3E9-EF09-4C28-8E15-BB3F5EDA9314.jpeg

Sept 21, 2020 Update

Yay!!! I received my new AC Infinity Cloudline T6, Vivosun charcoal filter and new ducting today! I have never signed up to amazon so I got prime for free and it showed up in less than 48 hours!!
442D611F-D0FA-40D0-92D4-64FE0C047C16.jpeg
6FB4C301-26C0-4EF5-912C-00E65CE8DEEB.jpeg

I also went to water the two WW’s today but the pots were still carrying a little bit of weight; the strawberry coughs that were fed yesterday are almost as light proving that they are so much thirstier than the Widows! The Widows will get a good drink tomorrow!

As far as the new AC fan; holy smokes it kicks ass! It is so much more quiet than the other fan! Should have purchased this fan at the get go but now I guess I have a fall back/new intake!
F27B515C-F4B1-48B2-BF20-FA437579D9AC.jpeg

Sept 23, 2020 Update: When should I flip?

Watered the two White Widows with the Medi-One, Ocean Magic and Rezin yesterday and gave the two Strawberry Coughs a water this morning.

The SC’s are totally dry after 3 days and the WW’s are dry after four days; the SC’s are growing faster and responding quicker to defoliating and training.

The watering schedule has been: nutrients, ph water, nutrients, ph water etc... So a feeding followed by a plain watering until the plants tell me otherwise.

I also took the tie downs off the girls and put the scrog net in; super excited to put it on and begin the next phase of learning.

To be totally honest, I have no idea when to flip to 12/12 light schedule but this is what they look like this morning
7983ADD1-8CCE-4A67-B9CF-D1C6F1DF7C11.jpeg

I figure they’ve been in veg since Aug 30 (photo below is aug 30):
216F9460-1DF2-4C7F-80FE-5E7827526059.jpeg

This is a photo of one of the Strawberry Coughs from yesterday:
A55469E7-A1F5-4920-AA89-BA0B37446062.jpeg

Is it too early to be considering putting them into flower? Would you wait another week or just flip? Love to know what your thoughts are. Thanks for reading along!

There's really no particular time to flip. I try to flip based on size. Since they will double or triple in size I assume triple. Then see how much room there is. If you want a 36" plant in the end you should flip when they are somewhere between 12" and 18" in height. I have never used a scrog but I don't think you want to put it on too early, ie at 12" if they should be 36" later. In terms of days I see people flipping after anywhere from 40 to 60 days but you can flip at any time, even day 1 and they will begin to flower at sexual maturity around day 30 or so.

I have the same Infinity AC setup. I had the same experience as you, started with a cheapo 4" but the noise was ruining it for me. The Infinity is expensive but well worth it!

Looks like the weather is returning to the Vancouver default rainy season. Sad to see another summer bite the dust. I have a friend with a big outdoor plant three doors down, I don't think he's going to make it with this humidity, but I hope it does, it only has three more weeks.

If you want a 36" plant in the end you should flip when they are somewhere between 12" and 18" in height
Thats great to know; based on this, I’m thinking I’ll flip when they get closer to 18” and if they blow up to triple the size, I do have the 1ft tent extension I could put in and take the tent to 8ft.

In terms of days I see people flipping after anywhere from 40 to 60 days but you can flip at any time,
If I’m correct with presuming they started veg Aug 30, then they’ve only been going for 26 days; I saw Emilya’s Strawberry Cough at 41 days and it looked beautiful.

I have the same Infinity AC setup. I had the same experience as you, started with a cheapo 4" but the noise was ruining it for me. The Infinity is expensive but well worth it!
HOLY SMOKES!!! Worth every penny! There is no comparison and wish it was my original purchase! Removing the cumbersome temp and humidity sensor and noisy inline fan has drastically improved the tent. If anyone reads this and is sitting on the fence about buying the AC Infinity, do it!

Looks like the weather is returning to the Vancouver default rainy season. Sad to see another summer bite the dust. I have a friend with a big outdoor plant three doors down, I don't think he's going to make it with this humidity, but I hope it does, it only has three more weeks.

I’m out by the Pitt River area and it’s been bucketing with gusts of high winds at times for the past few days. I hope your friends plants survive this miserable weather! I’m amazed by the outdoor growers and their nerves of steel; I’d be too nervy about the whole grow!
This grow tent will help keep my sane and occupied during the next 6 months of rain! Gotta have hobbies to get through the grey!

Sept 26 Update:
Today I PH watered the White Widows and continued the feeding for the Strawberry Coughs which continue to outdrink the WW’s.

I defoliated quite heavily today and raised the scrog net by about two inches; the girls are all standing approx 10-11 inches right now and the under canopy is clear of foliage.
EC4FABD9-F3F1-449C-BDDF-44A0BBC6607C.jpeg
F48E6122-9CE5-4EAC-AC4B-2C13497416EC.jpeg

Here is a shot of the canopy taken today (Sept 26):
1D7CB7DA-AA3B-4FB3-9522-1EB11A4E4725.jpeg

Thank you for reading along and a huge shout out to @HutchBenedict for the timely advice and helping along with my grow!

I’ve grown some big plants in dwc and the biggest problem has been giving them enough light. If your plant is 36 inches tall and your lights 12 inches above the top of the plant the bottom 1/2 isn’t receiving enough light. You’ll end up with a lot of larfy bud if you don’t lollipop. If you flipped now you could easily fill up every square in your net then let them grow up.

I’ve grown some big plants in dwc and the biggest problem has been giving them enough light. If your plant is 36 inches tall and your lights 12 inches above the top of the plant the bottom 1/2 isn’t receiving enough light. You’ll end up with a lot of larfy bud if you don’t lollipop. If you flipped now you could easily fill up every square in your net then let them grow up.
I am worried about them getting enough light; there are four plants that will be fighting for space. (There is a fifth plant but it will be removed very soon so I don’t count it).

The plan is to keep taking the under growth away and letting them grow a little taller before I flip. Super happy with what was accomplished with today’s earlier defoliating cause the air is definitely moving better!

Thanks a lot for contributing and you’ve given me something to consider; I’m eager for the next step but don’t want to rush anything!

I flip after a month of being in veg, only because my tent is 6ft tall, but its good that you have the tent extender for top section. I wonder if it is universal :hmmmm:

I flip after a month of being in veg, only because my tent is 6ft tall, but its good that you have the tent extender for top section. I wonder if it is universal :hmmmm:
I wonder if they do make them universal; as long as the zippers align and were the same gauge I wouldn’t see why not! I know you’ve mentioned battling heat and humidity in your journal; this could be a great option!

I wonder if they do make them universal; as long as the zippers align and were the same gauge I wouldn’t see why not! I know you’ve mentioned battling heat and humidity in your journal; this could be a great option!
i think the extenders come with a cover that goes on top of it, but your right i wouldn't be able to do it since my top doesn't open

grow tent will help keep my sane and occupied during the next 6 months of rain! Gotta have hobbies to get through the grey!
They look great, so lush & green. Great distraction for the grey!

You learn as you go. Did you take cuttings from your plants? If so you’ll learn a lot before flowering the clones.
I hadn’t taken any clones and I think I will on my next run. I’ve seen some pretty contentious discussions about when to take cuttings; the book I’m reading says to take within two weeks of putting them to flower but from what I’ve read on the forum thIs isn’t necessarily the case.

My plan is to order some more seeds and expand my collection a little bit but cloning will be in the future!

They look great, so lush & green. Great distraction for the grey!
I love your thread and the weed wagon you’ve got set up! When I first saw that photo I was mightily impressed!!! Ingenious!
The girls seem to be doing really well so far and I’m really happy with the progress; I am truly addicted and am now looking at all my house plants wondering and researching how to make their lives better!

Back
Top Bottom