First time grower need any advice I can get - Will be growing outdoors

Sorry it's my first time using 420 mag I have a few questions: what will I need to look out for growing outdoors and what is the best fertilizers that you can get in Australia and just really all that I will need to know to keep my plant happy and strong thanks

I agree with Tunkers...I'm in W.A. and use OzStoners for Aussie related questions - particularly as you're growing outside! You'll need advice about climate, weather, seasons, fertilisers available from Bunnings or online etc. I can't help with that cos I'm growing inside.
I find that a lot of the nutrients/additives people use on 420 are difficult to get in Australia and if I order off eBay, sometimes it costs more in postage than the product costs itself!

And if you're buying seeds online - try Southern Star Seeds. They're the only ones that are sent within Australia so they won't get seized by Customs (like all the ones from Amsterdam etc.) Unfortunately, they haven't got feminized seeds yet. So you really need to plant twice as many as you want to grow to harvest cos you'll need to cull any males before they flower. Actually, I did manage to get some thru Customs from The USA, too. And from 'Ministry of Cannabis' in Barcelona. They were feminized, which is preferable. Just look online.
Good-luck and have fun!

Huzzah another W.A. grower. Out of curiousity what soil and nutes are you using Anna?

As for seeds you could try seedsman. I've made 2 orders through them and both got here safely and packaged very discreetly. They have lots of strains to choose from aswell as many different breeders, and they have regular, auto, and feminized seeds, so there's loads to choose from. Plus they have great freebies. I'd advise waiting for one of the big sales to get more bang (bong?) for your buck. Just don't ask for original breeder packaging cause that might be more noticeable going through customs.

Huzzah another W.A. grower. Out of curiousity what soil and nutes are you using Anna?

As for seeds you could try seedsman. I've made 2 orders through them and both got here safely and packaged very discreetly. They have lots of strains to choose from aswell as many different breeders, and they have regular, auto, and feminized seeds, so there's loads to choose from. Plus they have great freebies. I'd advise waiting for one of the big sales to get more bang (bong?) for your buck. Just don't ask for original breeder packaging cause that might be more noticeable going through customs.
Thanks for the suggestion...I'll definitely try them. I'm using Coco/Perlite (80/20ish) and am setting up a Perpetual situation (started 6 weeks ago by ordering seeds, reading up, hitting up eBay & thrashing my VISA). I only put up my Bud Tent yesterday and am decking it out this week (2 x 600W HPS, 1 x 600W LED). I've been using Nutrifield Coco nutes (Aussie brand) but am giving AN Micro,Grow,Bloom and Ionic Coco a go for bloom. Also ordered AN Sensizyme, Great White Mycchorizae and will order Voodoo Juice (AN) cos The Cultivator recommends them (he's an experienced Coco guy with journals on 420).
I'm hand watering this grow and experimenting with LST, topping etc. with advice from 420 growers. I've got all the gear to become fully automated when/if I have learnt enough through being hands on with the plants.
These 420 members are SO helpful!! Happy Growing.

Thanks for the suggestion...I'll definitely try them. I'm using Coco/Perlite (80/20ish) and am setting up a Perpetual situation (started 6 weeks ago by ordering seeds, reading up, hitting up eBay & thrashing my VISA). I only put up my Bud Tent yesterday and am decking it out this week (2 x 600W HPS, 1 x 600W LED). I've been using Nutrifield Coco nutes (Aussie brand) but am giving AN Micro,Grow,Bloom and Ionic Coco a go for bloom. Also ordered AN Sensizyme, Great White Mycchorizae and will order Voodoo Juice (AN) cos The Cultivator recommends them (he's an experienced Coco guy with journals on 420).
I'm hand watering this grow and experimenting with LST, topping etc. with advice from 420 growers. I've got all the gear to become fully automated when/if I have learnt enough through being hands on with the plants.
These 420 members are SO helpful!! Happy Growing.

Thanks for all the info! Sounds like you got a decent sized grow area. A coco/perlite hydro setup sounds fairly common but you'd really need the full automatic watering system which for me I'm not sure if that would be above my technical skills/knowhow or not. I'm liking soil currently myself just because you don't have to get the nutes exact and don't have to water them daily, but I still dunno what kind of easy to get soil (say from Bunnings) would be best for growing lovely ladies.
Nice to hear you're getting a perpetual setup done, it seems to be the best way to grow. No downtime. 4 months from seed to harvest (and between harvests) sounds waaay to long. Just a question, what's the AN stand for? Is that your own brand of Anna Nana nutes? :rofl: (no seriously, I dunno what AN stands for).

Hahaha...love it. No AN is 'Advanced Nutrients'. I'm not sure where the brand is from but it is pretty expensive. I'm only trying them out because of the recommendations. And because they're chelated - which I think means their pH levels are more stable (?). I hope that's it cos atm, I set my pH at 5.8 and if I go back later to water a bit more, my nutrient mix has jumped up to 6.8 or so.
The product I've been most advised to get by experienced growers is Great White Mycchorizae. Or any product consisting of Mycchorizae. It's a fungus that works in symbiosis with the roots of your plants and assists them in uptaking nutrients (I think). It sounds worth buying anyway.
Apparently the bigger and better the root mass...the bigger and better the buds. I do know that through my experience with outdoor growing.
IMG_029755.JPG

This is a pic of 3 of my plants Day 22 Veg. The 1 on the left I tipped so it got much bushier. I would like them to grow taller though. Atm it's difficult to train them, as the nodes are so close together. They need transplanting but I'm waiting for a delivery of supplies. It's expensive growing indoors!

Hahaha...love it. No AN is 'Advanced Nutrients'. I'm not sure where the brand is from but it is pretty expensive. I'm only trying them out because of the recommendations. And because they're chelated - which I think means their pH levels are more stable (?). I hope that's it cos atm, I set my pH at 5.8 and if I go back later to water a bit more, my nutrient mix has jumped up to 6.8 or so.
The product I've been most advised to get by experienced growers is Great White Mycchorizae. Or any product consisting of Mycchorizae. It's a fungus that works in symbiosis with the roots of your plants and assists them in uptaking nutrients (I think). It sounds worth buying anyway.
Apparently the bigger and better the root mass...the bigger and better the buds. I do know that through my experience with outdoor growing.
IMG_029755.JPG

This is a pic of 3 of my plants Day 22 Veg. The 1 on the left I tipped so it got much bushier. I would like them to grow taller though. Atm it's difficult to train them, as the nodes are so close together. They need transplanting but I'm waiting for a delivery of supplies. It's expensive growing indoors!

Thanks for the info! For some reason I think around 3-4am this morning the name Advanced Nutrients popped into my head. No idea why it randomly popped into my noggin in the middle of the night. I'll be getting some Mycchorizae (not Great White) aswell cause I've heard lots of good things about it too.

That pic is of 22 day old vegging plants? Dang. Thems some bushy plants. I've got some seedlings going myself (bagseed) that have only just started to grow nicely, though mine probably look like yours did at day 7. But I did have some issues cause I popped them before I got my small tent and light so only had sunlight and a desk lamp to keep them going for like 3 weeks before I got my tent. Atleast now they're coming good but still very small for being a month old.

G'day fellas,

Great to see some sand-gropers kicking thru 420.

Here i go, I'm gonna add my 5c worth of knowledge, after all everyone one has an opinion.

As Notorious99 has opened with the very open ended Q of: First time grower need any advice I can get - Will be growing outdoors...

Buddy go look up Mendo Dope on YouTube. Find their 6 hour+ vid on their take on outdoor growing. It is truly impressive. ^^

As another suggestion on a reliable seed bank. I have been ordering from Attitude Seeds for the last two years. Always in discrete packaging, and they have always arrived in under 12 days and i get the bonus of free seeds. Every seed has germinated. To date I have grown, Vanilla Kush, Underdawg Kush, and a few others that my short term memory will not allow me to remember. I am bringing in: 1 x Big Bud/White Widow, 1 x Cotton Candy, 1 x Dr. Kripplings #5 and 1 x Durban Poison (B Strain Cape Town) that were all SCROG'd in a matter of days. :lot-o-toke:

I have been using the Hi-Gen products made by the West Aussie bio chemist who created Bud Link 20 odd years ago and made squizzilions from it. Never had an issue with any of their products. I have been using Soil as the base, but will be transferring the clones into a fully automated design made by "The Grow Room" in Cannington. (Go take a look at their website. I saved $80 just on their Hi-Gen A+B 5Lt bottle set). The next turn over will be in Coco Peet. 12 x Durban Poison clones, under 12 x 600w flow thru tubes in a 3m x 3m tent that this loving father has had to spend on the girls so as to keep them super happy.

I have taken this photo of. Cotton Candy in left corner, Dr. Krippling, and Durban Poison. They were under a scrog until yesterday. the CC was tipped twice, thou not under the original screen. (sorry for photo quality. Iphone cameras suck and I got nothing else)

Nightmask, those Sativa's look yummy mate^^

Keep up the growing fellas, we got a country to seed
As an after thought. I just got myself some Bubble Bags (8 bag, 20 Lt set) from E bay for under $50. DON'T pay $300 at any retail outlet for the same product.

Peace out
lol. sorry no photo as i don't know how to set up a url and am to stoned to try ;)

Hey mate! Good to see the Aussie invasion taking place. If your in the upper half of Aus it seems you can grow almost year round. I have some running at the moment in Qld, just starting to flower as we enter winter. (Autos)

As for outdoors, I've generally dug a plot and added the good stuff.
- Coco coir makes up the bulk
- Shit, well aged (horse / chook)

Bunnings can help with the most of it, but be careful, some are truly not meant for cannabis and the plants don't react well too a bag of Bunnings "5in1" plant food sorta thing.. Was hard to tell, but the trial I ran with Bunnings top, premixed ferts caused hermies and all round small plants.
But..
-Blood and bone
-Dolomite lime
-Worm casting, added into the plot with the coco coir.

For liquid ferts, they have some stuff called "Go-go Juice". Is really good for the flowering stage, full of fishy and batty goodness.

Wouldn't hurt to search around, you may find a Hydroponics store near by that sells all the cannabis related products. Beneficial bacteria can sometimes be found at pet stores, and the plants will really benefit from that.

All the best and happy growing. For seed banks, I use Seedsman.com huge selection and good promos

Also,
- Invest the time and energy early on in the garden / plots life to control bugs. Nothing worse than an aphid infestation when you start to bud up. Lady bugs are the best, but not the easiest to maintain. Garlic spray is easy and cheap, and really effective.
- Raise the seedlings indoors if possible. They don't take too much room or light.
- Full sun is where you want your plot, more sun, bigger trees.
- Watering? A 2L bottle will feed little plants, but if you plant them 3ks from a tap, you'll end up pretty fit from lugging large amounts of water around the bush

Here is that photo.
300bi4n.jpg
Should get about 10- 12 per plant, dried Oz's from the two on the right. About 8 from the CC. This was on a 8 week grow and around 60 days of flowering in 76lt home made pots. (piggy back style)

Nightmask, those Sativa's look yummy mate^^

Not my plants dude. I quoted AnnaBanana's post, they her plants. But agreed they do look yummy.

420 is huge wealth of knowledge. Some things you just can't get in aus
????? Yes you can.. and better.. your in an American site, don't feel inferior because of it.. a lot of what's used isn't needed to grow a top quality smoke..

????? Yes you can.. and better.. your in an American site, don't feel inferior because of it.. a lot of what's used isn't needed to grow a top quality smoke..
Z7 is a product my reservoir can't live without, as it is quite hot in Australia... I would not have even heard of the stuff if I didn't venture onto 420mag. Aussies are great, but there is limits to product knowledge etc...

plenty of enzyme products sold here though.. I'm just saying Aussies can get caught up here in different names and 'grass is greener on the other side' bullshit.. good place to look is Nutri tech solutions...

Back
Top Bottom