First time grower with issues

Scottishweed

After a terrible start of using a really peaty unbuffered coco my seeds arent doin to well. After some advice from here. I researched buffering coco and followed Dr MJ Coco's advice (CocoforCannabis) and I'm double buffering my coco with calmag overnight. So I shall be repotting them tomorrow. (Been waiting on a delivery of biobizz coco mix for the last 2weeks) so best make do.

Is there anything else I should do to help the girls recover, I know I've probably badly stunted their growth but if I can at least recover and take away from my mistakes then I'll count it as an expensive win. Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated.

Currently Growing
1x White Widow
1x Triple G
1x Cookies Gelato
1x Ultra Power Plant

My set ups
1x1x2m buddha room tent
600w led light (currently 18/6 @ 24")
Ox carbon filter and 4" inline fan
Canna coco nutrients
Vitalink calmag
Co2 grow bag
Usually 21-23°C 50-60% humidity
Only got a small 6" fan but will get a tower fan shortly.

Cheers guys

20200604_102640.jpg20200604_102637.jpg20200604_102633.jpg20200604_102628.jpg

Attachments

• 20200603_230636.jpg
    20200603_230636.jpg
    533.6 KB · Views: 103
Repotted the girls this morn.
Heres a photo of the medium before hand, currently growing succulents in it.
20200605_103603.jpg

Heres the new rinsed buffered coco
20200605_103642.jpg

Hoping that looks better, mixed with about 20-25% perlite (eyeballed) and a reduced feed of
1ml/l calmag
1ml rhizotonic
0.6ml A+B
pH 5.9
Ec 0.8 (plain water ec 0.2)

Anything I've done wrong please advise as my girls are poorly (other than using cheap medium)

Scottish

The main thing confusing me is the watering schedule, theres so many ways to water, I've read people watering with nutes everyday, some with water every 2nd day. Some people water every 2 days Some water to 10-20% run off where as some people dont. I know alot of it's down to the nuit strength pH and ec but depending who's journal or advice you read.

I've been reading cultavists coco feeding guide the last couple days aswell so taking notes on his methodology.

I'm probably not really suited for growing as I have very little patience... and feel like I should be doin something and checking them. So I've got to learn to chill a bit more (funny considering our lifestyle) I'm just anxious as its my first grow.

All help advice and criticism good or bad is well appreciated

Cheers guys and gals

I'm also growing ghost chillis and carolina reapers so may have to take them out the tent asap or that could be a really spicy smoke haha

The cookies and ggg I'm worried are stretching a little but since I've taken action with the medium I'll leave them and no stress about that just now. If they continue I'll lower the light a couple inch currently 24+- inch

Hey bud, welcome to the forum.
Another grower from Scotland! Good to see more from our beautiful nation fighting daft laws.

I'm currently growing in coco, too. I've come to learn that it's actually pretty low maintenance. I'm bottom feeding my girl due to space constraints. Once half an hour after lights on and then again whenever I wake up. She's loving it. Coco is great because you can basically reset it with just a good flush of pH'd water whenever you notice any build up of salts

@burdok420 that's what my mum said to do as it helps roots reach out more, shes not a weed grower but avid gardener (not that I can ask her about this, doubt she'll be to happy pml, I was worried about salt build up if i did that. I tried it with some succulents I've got and they shot up. Was planning to try with the chillies aswell. I'm hoping I can transfer skills from plant to plant, I'm planning to lst and top the chillies aswell.

@burdok420 that's what my mum said to do as it helps roots reach out more, shes not a weed grower but avid gardener (not that I can ask her about this, doubt she'll be to happy pml, I was worried about salt build up if i did that. I tried it with some succulents I've got and they shot up. Was planning to try with the chillies aswell. I'm hoping I can transfer skills from plant to plant, I'm planning to lst and top the chillies aswell.

So with coco, you need to treat more like hydro than soil. Basically, you need to water and feed more often. Coco has nothing in it for your plants, everything comes from what you feed it. A pH of 5.8 is the sweet spot for coco but you want to let it drift to about 6.1 now and again for access to the full spectrum of nutrients the plant needs. At the very least you should be watering your plant every day until about 30% run off if top feeding it

@burdok420 when you bottom feed do you feed a specific amount of do you just leave it to soak up for 10-15mins?

@burdok420 when you bottom feed do you feed a specific amount of do you just leave it to soak up for 10-15mins?

I pour it in bit by bit. When I notice that she stops sucking it up, I add a little bit extra for her to drink over the next few hours. When coco dries a bit it takes in loads of air which is great for the roots, so you definitely do not want to keep her swimming in water. But keeping coco moist is a must! Even when fully saturated coco holds about 30% air so it's really easy not to over water, but because it doesn't retain the water you need to be feeding more often

So my lights come on at 8am and off at 2am so a 18/6. If I bottom fed about half8-9 and then again about 6pm?
I've got 2x ultra powers so may bottom feed one and top feed the other just as a comparison. My help my patience a bit aswell if I get to go in twice :D

I water my seedlings to run off every morning about an hour after the lights in the tent come on. As the plants mature and go into flower they'll be taking in a lot more nutrients and I have had to water up to 4 times a day to keep a late flower plant happy. I'm really looking into AutoPots for their simplicity of growing, just add your nutrients to the water in the reservoir and let the plant drink what it wants when it wants! As for your reapers, where did you get them? I'm growing the HP22B strain of reaper from PepperJoes!

@Slicknick909 it was a seller on amazon though a cant remember who off hand. The ghost chillis are from spicesontheweb.co.uk I also have some twilight and orange habanero which I'll plant soon.

My next question. Do I wait til the leaves are about the same size as the pot to repot or do I leave it to fill the pot (root lock?) and is it best to go from the small 5" pot to final pots?. I've got 7.5l pots (that came with the tent) or should I get 15l pots? (money limited atm so plastic tubs it is till I can afford fabric ones)

Cheers

Attachments

• 15913763358675874867024068202140.jpg
    15913763358675874867024068202140.jpg
    417.3 KB · Views: 106
@Slicknick909 it was a seller on amazon though a cant remember who off hand. The ghost chillis are from spicesontheweb.co.uk I also have some twilight and orange habanero which I'll plant soon.

My next question. Do I wait til the leaves are about the same size as the pot to repot or do I leave it to fill the pot (root lock?) and is it best to go from the small 5" pot to final pots?. I've got 7.5l pots (that came with the tent) or should I get 15l pots? (money limited atm so plastic tubs it is till I can afford fabric ones)

Cheers
I usually wait until about the 4th node of true leaves to transplant, I have recently just been planting straight into a 5gal airpot though just to avoid any transplants at all, not that I have any data to back it up just my preference to not stress the plants as much as possible by not disturbing the roots. I love growing the ultra hots, peppers are such cool plants, along with tomatoes and cannabis!

I cant eat them straight, I'm no daft enough for that, but do like really hot chilli con carnes and more recently curries, was never a huge fan of Indian cuisine.

I pickle them and eat them plain or make salsas with them, I'm in southern California so we have an abundance of Mexican cuisine which I default to cooking frequently!

Back
Top Bottom