First Time Outdoor Grower in Portland - Advice?

I haven't yet. I've been lucky. I gave my plants a spraying this morning but I don't do it regularly. My wife put together a simple concoction of neem oil and some essential oils and it and it seems to work pretty well. I may be a little more vigilant about it from here on out. Try some neem oil first. If that doesn't work there's a product called "Safe"(?) that I hear a lot about. It's off the shelf stuff, but it's supposed to be non-toxic.

Have you checked the big "pests" thread yet? It's got some good info. I think I remember something about white flies. A good strategy is to find out how they reproduce and attack from that angle.

Good luck!

Thanks JD- It will be interesting to see how the Fall plays out for us weather-wise. Then the drying/curing process begins.

On the White Fly issue, I went to Northern Lights and Garden in Beaverton about an hour ago, and they recommended AzMax, both spraying for the adults and watering the soil for the eggs. Ill try tonight and let eveyone know how it goes.

It will be interesting to see how the Fall plays out for us weather-wise. Then the drying/curing process begins.
Great pics and healthy plants. How has our weather change affected things?

My girls look a bit rough now due to yet another beginner's mistake on my part. I've made several novice mistakes despite trying to do my homework and my Sativa dominant girls went into flower early, (early-mid July). I was so worried they wouldn't finish, I was happy about the early flowers. I think they're still a few weeks from ripening but this experience has been full of surprises so who knows.

Time to start checking the tricomes after they dry off. I'll post a pic soon but your girls are looking much happier than mine. Fortunately for me, they're still growing flowers that are starting to smell pretty good. Despite my well intentioned but less than 'loving care', the Cindys, (C99 & Cinderella's Dream), seem determined to produce. Both are strains I'd grow again.

Hope everyone made it through our storm! Look forward to your progress reports.

Progress report...........

DSCN174010.JPG
DSCN17387.JPG
DSCN173611.JPG
DSCN17379.JPG
DSCN173510.JPG
DSCN17337.JPG
DSCN17348.JPG

Those are some big plants! Nice color, too. They look really healthy.

I did some foliage trimming last night in preparation for the rain. They were looking pretty ragged this morning with a lot of roof dirt on them. After shaking them off and a long spell of afternoon sun they look really good right now. It looks to me like the flowering has reached another small benchmark. It looks like they've gained some density. Overall, I'd say the rain was a net positive. The only bummer is that my containers are soaked and I want to switch to a different nute product. I poked some aeration holes holes and turned over the sand and topsoil so things can dry out. I didn't like the coloration change when I switched to the bloom formula and I had a sense that the plants were taking the wrong turn. I'm going to give BioThrive 2-4-4 a try. I'll report back.

One thing I was noticing were a lot of brown tips on the pistils which concerned me. After this rain is the best they've looked so far, though. I want to get a closer look. I was supposed to get a 60x loupe in the mail last Friday, but they shipped it to Philly for some reason instead. I'm seeing lots of trichomes through my magnifying glass but I can't get close enough to get any details. Thanks UPS.

I'm can see the benefits of cover, now. I'm going to look into something for long spells of rain. Although, I feel like I'll be wrapping up in 3-4 weeks at the rate I'm going.

damn nwpassage... maybe it's just me but those stalks look HUGE. mighty health looking plants. always nice to see other Oregon grows. keep up the hard work guys! you've got some great looking plants.

Here are a few shots of "Hortense" after 5 full weeks. They've really turned a corner recently and the flowers are getting noticeably dense! I'm thinking one more week with nutes and then a week of flush then harvest.

hortense_5_weeks_6.jpg
hortense_5_weeks_4.JPG
hortense_5_weeks_3.jpg
hortense_5_weeks_2.JPG

Hey JD - your flowers are looking amazing. So cool to see them filling out like that. And it looks like we are going to bounce back into the good weather so you can finish off nicely. Mine are still further behind, but coming along. I'll post some pics this week. I think I'm good with the white fly problem, however, I'll have to keep vigilant. It seems that the white flies are all over my neighborhood. Your tip on the hydrogen peroxide water and dish soap definitely did the trick. I'll spray this week again and hopefully that fishes them off on my gals.

Looking really good jddrews. Mine are heading that direction and I have October 14 circled on the calendar hoping I can get them that far. I'm a total noob but perhaps you could take them even further?

Moss, glad to hear your white fly problem is getting resolved. I've been so lucky with pests. I'm looking forward to seeing your pics.

As for harvest time, my two week timeframe is just a guess. I'll go by how the trichomes look. I like the breezier sativa head high rather than more couch-lock so I'll likely start flushing once the amber trichomes start showing up. Any girth I can gain between now and then is welcome!

Moss, glad to hear your white fly problem is getting resolved. I've been so lucky with pests. I'm looking forward to seeing your pics.

As for harvest time, my two week timeframe is just a guess. I'll go by how the trichomes look. I like the breezier sativa head high rather than more couch-lock so I'll likely start flushing once the amber trichomes start showing up. Any girth I can gain between now and then is welcome!

Right on, I feel the same way about the heady high, but I can't really smoke due to my crummy job. I'll take a toke occasionally and sweat it out for 30 days though. I',m growing for my wife and her sister, and they like to get stoned and look at their feet so I'll let mine go until I feel like I can't wait any longer.

Are you giving your plants more shade with this heat? I moved mine yo a more shaded area where they get much less direct sunlight over the last 3 days. I don't know if it's better to get the, more uv light in the direct sun, or have lower temps in the shade.

I'm wondering about what is too hot during flowering. I'm outside Eugene and it looks like we've got a couple hot days coming. Since 2 of my plants are getting close to being ripe I think I'll put them in the shade for the hottest part of the day. I need to research this but thought I'd ask.

Hope everyone's plants are still looking great!

I'm wondering about what is too hot during flowering. I'm outside Eugene and it looks like we've got a couple hot days coming. Since 2 of my plants are getting close to being ripe I think I'll put them in the shade for the hottest part of the day. I need to research this but thought I'd ask.

Hope everyone's plants are still looking great!

No real need to take your plants out of the hot sun....photosynthesis slows & eventually stops over 90º & hotter. Energy goes to self protection & preservation. They are strong as hell.:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom