Good Distiller?

Thanks, but I'll stick with plug-in and walk away!
You should never just walk away, Especially when using flammable solvents.
What happens if it does spring a leak & your not around?
Malfunctions & over heats , because it's a Chinese piece of c*ap
I always keep watch, when messing with danger
Safety first
# 1 cause of house fires are caused by people cooking & walking away

You should never just walk away, Especially when using flammable solvents.
What happens if it does spring a leak & your not around?
Malfunctions & over heats , because it's a Chinese piece of c*ap
I always keep watch, when messing with danger
Safety first
# 1 cause of house fires are caused by people cooking & walking away
Thanks Brewsterman! I didn't mean like walk away and leave. I just meant not have to sit there and futz with the temperature like a pot still on a stove. But I won't sit there for the hours it takes to do the evaporation, I'll just plug it in on the porch!

I like the Megahome water distiller. Its been flawless, through about 20 gallons of ethanol and a ton more water. I use it for ethanol extraction and for drinking water. Just need to clean inbetween!

I got a Morphon for $100 and have run it twice. Works really well so far.

I got a gallon of 120 proof Everclear to 170 in two passes. Then I spilled it all over the courtyard! :oops:
What? Dude! Why have i not found this? I want to reclaim that Everclear too…and you let me flounder around…

Is that thing still working?

I use a Vevor distiller -- has adjustable heat settings -- upgraded model has a timer on it. Design is similar to others on market -- couple design flaws I saw was the receiving vessel has no spout to pour retrieved liquid and another was that drip tube just clears the opening in the receiving vessel. This is because the distilling vessel has angled sides instead of straight up and down thus keeping the center of opening on receiving vessel from being placed directly under drip tube coming out of distiller.

A simple fix would be to elongate and angle the drip tube away from the distiller - approx 1-2 inches. But this is just me , a simple farmer and processor.. As said I'm just now getting back to making oil since last in 79.

Happy Growing
MotaMan

I use a Vevor distiller -- has adjustable heat settings -- upgraded model has a timer on it. Design is similar to others on market -- couple design flaws I saw was the receiving vessel has no spout to pour retrieved liquid and another was that drip tube just clears the opening in the receiving vessel. This is because the distilling vessel has angled sides instead of straight up and down thus keeping the center of opening on receiving vessel from being placed directly under drip tube coming out of distiller.

A simple fix would be to elongate and angle the drip tube away from the distiller - approx 1-2 inches. But this is just me , a simple farmer and processor.. As said I'm just now getting back to making oil since last in 79.

Happy Growing
MotaMan
They are not designed for alcohol, they are water distillers repurposed.
If you are going to make a drip tube. run it thru ice water to cool your alcohol Read thru good distillers to see my setup
Your alcohol will evaporate even at 70 f in open air

Doing my 55th batch of oil in my Extractcraft Source Turbo right now.
Have used about 1.25 gallon of 200 proof Extractahol to do 55 batches of oil. And each "batch" is actually really two because I do two washes, then combine them to get one full 15ml bottle full of oil.
So technically doing my 110th run.
Somewhere around 85-90 ounces of bud.

A couple years ago it had a problem with a part that turned the heater off and on, emailed them, sent it in, they fixed it free of charge.
Still working great.

20230302_115203.jpg

20230302_130835.jpg

All the filtered out shmutz through the Buchner filter

Need to pick your brain Nunya - as I said I'm getting back to making oil since 79 - when I am "boiling" off the alcohol how can one tell when all is been evaporated leaving only the oil. I've heard of the tiny bubbles and burn test but I am looking for sure fire way to determine total evaporation.

And on the distiller -- some sites actually tout the distiller to be multi functional -- distilling both water and alcohol. There's even a youtube video showing how to run mash through the device.. I see it as both -- if it was just for water then there would be no need for any temp control since water boils at a set temp and device would be factory set to run at this temp.

I see your device runs under vacuum -- hence minimal loss of solvent. That was one of the simple beauties of the Thai Power Iso2 -- it was all enclosed -- removal of oil , reclamation of solvent with little loss of solvent - but I digress those were simple yet effective times of the past..

I'm just hoping I'm not going to run a bunch of oil and ruin it -- thanks for your input.

MotaMan

Need to pick your brain Nunya - as I said I'm getting back to making oil since 79 - when I am "boiling" off the alcohol how can one tell when all is been evaporated leaving only the oil. I've heard of the tiny bubbles and burn test but I am looking for sure fire way to determine total evaporation.

And on the distiller -- some sites actually tout the distiller to be multi functional -- distilling both water and alcohol. There's even a youtube video showing how to run mash through the device.. I see it as both -- if it was just for water then there would be no need for any temp control since water boils at a set temp and device would be factory set to run at this temp.

I see your device runs under vacuum -- hence minimal loss of solvent. That was one of the simple beauties of the Thai Power Iso2 -- it was all enclosed -- removal of oil , reclamation of solvent with little loss of solvent - but I digress those were simple yet effective times of the past..

I'm just hoping I'm not going to run a bunch of oil and ruin it -- thanks for your input.

MotaMan
The only ways that I've made oil, in my case really i make a very strong tincture, I stop when its about the consistency of cold maple syrup that way I can use a dropper bottle and get an exact dose everytime.
I made it just using a small bowl in a water bath with a fan blowing over it wasting the alcohol, I only did that I think 3x because it just seemed dangerously stupid.
Then got the Extractcraft which uses a vacuum at just 105⁰ and saves about 95% of the alcohol.
But as I said I ways make a tincture so I leave just a tiny amount of alcohol in the oil, its 200 proof and there is no alcohol burn when you put drops under your tongue.
In the Extractcraft I just wait until it gets to certain level and start watching it, you can see the consistency change from very watery to syrupy when a bubble or two pops up.

After a couple batches you'll be able to tell just by looking at it.

Id suggest getting something thats a closed system under a vacuum so it evaporates the alcohol at just over body temperature and saves it.

Thanks for input -- I'm using 200 proof too -- I don't mind the loss as long as the solvent can be found at a reasonable price -- I found 190 proof Everclear and Diesel, but if I could walk into an outlet and get 200 proof I'd prefer that. I'm storing mine in oral syringes.

Now in the old days we smoked our oil -- do you indulge in this practice? I couldn't find an oil pipe in any smoke shops around my house so I had to order mine. We used (and I now still do) wipe some on the inside of a paper prior to rolling a number.

I used a 1/2 lb of just trim leaves and got 11 grams of oil. I would've normally thrown out the leaves as in the past. After processing plants for days on end you just want it to end and dumping the leaves was always the signal that harvest was over but not now .. Well I have something to do now in my freetime. I will be looking into the vacuum recovery system.

Thanks again
MotaMan

Back
Top Bottom