Strain - Gorilla Glue (autoflower) hybrid 50%/50% sativa/indica mix
Number of Plants/Seeds - 2
Growth Stage - germination

How Long - just put seeds in Rapid Rooters

Water source - RO
Indoor or Outdoor - indoor, unheated garage in SoCal
Grow Type - RDWC

Tent - 2' x 4' Gorilla tent
Reservoir Size - Superponics 12XL. Measures 40" x 23" x 14". 35 gals total, 28 gals usable. Will be filled to 1/2" from bottom of 3" net pots
Reservoir Temperature - 68° (Active Aqua chiller)
Hydro Setup - RDWC, top feed

Nutes - Jacks 3-2 (not doing the "1")

Lighting: ViparSpectra XS-1500 to germinate, Mars-Hydro SP 3000 in veg, Chilled Growcraft X3 for the win. The X3 is set up to be dismounted and I've added an extension to the SP 3000 so that I can move that driver out of the tent, as well.
DLI's will range from 8 to "a lot". I'll use the Apogee MQ-500 to monitor PPFD and will follow light schedules of 24/0 as seedlings and then varying hours depending on DLI needs and temperature

Tent Climate:
Temperature - mid 70's to low 80's. Inkbird temperature controller ("Hotbird"). The SuperSprouter has a heating mat. Tent heat provided by a small oil heater
RH - using an Inkbird RH controller ("Wetbird") with 4" AC Infinity inline fan
pH - using a Bluelab monitor in the tent + Bluelab pH and EC pens.
VPD - using a PulseOne and following these VPD recommendations - 0.8 seedling, 1.0 in veg, and 1.2 in flower.

Big win is being able to run apps for the Kasa smart strips, the Inkbirds, the Wyze cameras, the Pulse, etc. from my MacBook Air as well as from my phone.

AC - Whynter 14000 BTU portable
Dehumidifier - Waykar, large

Pests - None. Had thrips once. That was enough.

I'll be growing Gorilla Glue autos in a 2' x 4' tent, located in my garage here in Southern California. One of my goals is to avoid the Summer temperatures that ramp up in June but I will top the plants plus LST. The seller lists a "grow time" of 10 - 14 weeks which would be 5/23/22 to 6/20/22. So, mid-July, right :)

One issue has come up is too many plants in the tent so I'm starting this grow off with two seeds. After checking the PPFD of the T5 that comes with the SuperSprouter, I'll be using the XS-1500 for germination and then switching to the Mars when I want less blue and more red.

I dropped the seeds in ph 7 RO water yesterday and put them into RapidRooters today. Ambient RH is really low so I've got Wetbird on the humidifier and Hotbird controlling the heat mat. The PulseOne is the brains of the operation and and I adjust the Inkbirds to keep the numbers in range to hit VPD targets.

That's the beginning.

Picture of the seeds - they were in water for 24 hours but it looks like one of them is already showing a root. Should get roots in a day or two and then, like it is now, it's mainly a question of adjusting Hotbird and Wetbird and letting nature take its course.

IMG_5963.jpeg

IMG_5964.jpeg
IMG_5965.jpeg

Water source - RO
Grow Type - RDWC

Reservoir Size - Superponics 12XL. Measures 40" x 23" x 14". 35 gals total, 28 gals usable. Will be filled to 1/2" from bottom of 3" net pots

Lighting: ViparSpectra XS-1500 to germinate, Mars-Hydro SP 3000 in veg, Chilled Growcraft X3 for the win. The X3 is set up to be dismounted and I've added an extension to the SP 3000 so that I can move that driver out of the tent, as well.
DLI's will range from 8 to "a lot". I'll use the Apogee MQ-500 to monitor PPFD and will follow light schedules of 24/0 as seedlings and then varying hours depending on DLI needs and temperature

Tent Climate:
Temperature - mid 70's to low 80's. Inkbird temperature controller ("Hotbird"). The SuperSprouter has a heating mat. Tent heat provided by a small oil heater
VPD - using a PulseOne and following these VPD recommendations - 0.8 seedling, 1.0 in veg, and 1.2 in flower.

Big win is being able to run apps for the Kasa smart strips, the Inkbirds, the Wyze cameras, the Pulse, etc. from my MacBook Air as well as from my phone.

I'll be growing Gorilla Glue autos in a 2' x 4' tent, located in my garage here in Southern California. One of my goals is to avoid the Summer temperatures that ramp up in June but I will top the plants plus LST. The seller lists a "grow time" of 10 - 14 weeks which would be 5/23/22 to 6/20/22. So, mid-July, right :)

One issue has come up is too many plants in the tent so I'm starting this grow off with two seeds. After checking the PPFD of the T5 that comes with the SuperSprouter, I'll be using the XS-1500 for germination and then switching to the Mars when I want less blue and more red.

I dropped the seeds in ph 7 RO water yesterday and put them into RapidRooters today. Ambient RH is really low so I've got Wetbird on the humidifier and Hotbird controlling the heat mat. The PulseOne is the brains of the operation and and I adjust the Inkbirds to keep the numbers in range to hit VPD targets.

That's the beginning.

Picture of the seeds - they were in water for 24 hours but it looks like one of them is already showing a root. Should get roots in a day or two and then, like it is now, it's mainly a question of adjusting Hotbird and Wetbird and letting nature take its course.

IMG_5963.jpeg
Looking forward to the girls growing up :D

Turned on the ViparSpectra - measured 80 µmols. Temperature in the SS increased. That's a good thing right now. VPD has ranged because it's really hard to control RH in an SS. I guess it will just be that way until I can get them out of the grow dome environment and into the grow tent environment.

This is a screenshot of RH and temperature as displayed on the Pulse One. It can display other info but RH and temp are what I review. Hotbird is doing its thing - it runs the humidifier, but even at the lowest setting, the RH varies quite a bit because it's such a small space.
1664481758606.png
1664481786937.png

Not to worry, those little GG's are warm and happy I'm hoping to see a sprout or two tomorrow.

Capto_ 2022-03-15_09-18-01_PM.png

Looks like fun I love all of the automation. I'm in.

Water source - RO
Grow Type - RDWC

Tent Climate:

That's the beginning.

IMG_5963.jpeg

IMG_5964.jpeg
IMG_5965.jpeg
Dood for you, man! I just germinated 8 seeds of afghan hash. Most cracked but only 3 tap-rooted and stopped after 1/4 inch. I am 0 for 8. Glad to have 1 of 2 of last years banana Sundae. Gonna have to clone the shit outta them and hopefully have 4 ready for outdoors by the end of May.
Good luck with your grow, bro!

Dood for you, man! I just germinated 8 seeds of afghan hash. Most cracked but only 3 tap-rooted and stopped after 1/4 inch. I am 0 for 8. Glad to have 1 of 2 of last years banana Sundae. Gonna have to clone the shit outta them and hopefully have 4 ready for outdoors by the end of May.
Good luck with your grow, bro!
Thanks for stopping in!
Sorry to hear about the Afghan after germinating all eight. That's a real bummer (I've had a similar experience). Good luck with the clones.

Both seeds have popped. Seed #1 showed up late last night, Seed #2 (great names, eh?) was early this AM. Hotbird and Wetbird did their thing so my average VPF was 0.8 but RH was swinging ± 7.5%. I dropped the differential value to 2% so I'll see how that works out.

First photo is from this grow. The other photos are from last March when I unarchived my grow tent (I archived it in 2017). and had two sets of seedlings die. I realize what went wrong now. That was a real kick in the teeth. Check out the wreckage. That's a Kind LED, vintage 2016, at the recommended hang height. A disaster in the making. PPFD map of the light is in the last photo.

IMG_5968.jpeg

IMG_2614.jpeg
IMG_2622.jpeg

Kind 600 XL Series 1 LED (manufactured 6/2016)

KIND XL 600 Series 1 PPFD Diagram.png

Day 2 above ground.

Wilma and Chris are doing pretty well.

Two items - had a to remove the seed pod from Wilma and I left a piece behind and, second, I think I haven't given them enough light.

Wilma, in the back, wasn't able to jettison her seed pod so I use a hemostat on it. There was one small piece that was sticking to the cotyledon so I waited overnight to remove it. Note that Wilma is about twice as tall as Chris. My thinking is that she grew that tall because, without the cotyledons being open, the plant wasn't getting any light so she grew toward the light to compensate. In contrast, Chris has well developed cotyledons so she was getting light and didn't need to grow as quickly. Scroll to the other pictures that were taken a few hours apart and it's clear how quickly Wilma recovered - she went from closed cotyledons to starting to open to completely open in the course of about 8 hours.

PulseOne is the driver. I'm trying to keep things at a VPD of 0.8 with temps averaging 83°. I haven't been able to tame the RH swings - it's just not easy to humidify a space that small with any consistency but neither Wilma nor Chris have said anything so I'm just going with the flow (hah, who am I kidding - I'll find something to obsess about. :). )

The temperature did take a jump today when I upped the PPFD. PPFD started the day at 100, then I moved it to 120, and finally 140±. I summed the DLI for each of those time periods and set my lights to go out from 0400 to 0600. That'll give me a DLI of 11.5. I could probably go higher but Wilma's cotyledon's are only a few hours old so I'm erring on the side of caution. I'll have a better feel for that issue in the AM.

I went to add water to the Rapid Rooters and ended up playing "guess the pH" with my Bluelab monitor vs pH pen. They both calibrated to 7.0 and 4.0 perfectly but, when I put them in RO, they were 0.3 or 0.4 units off. That just made no sense, at first.

After thimking about it for a bit, I put two and two together and suspected that was because my RO water has an EC of 0.0 vs the calibration solutions which had to have a non zero EC. I rummaged around the Bluelab site and found something interesting about the probe for the Bluelab monitor. The page reads, in part, "Effective in solutions of 0.2 EC and above". The Bluelab pen has no such stipulation. That a could be an oversight, granted, but my lesson learned for today - don't use a Bluelab monitor for RO water.

IMG_5979.jpeg

IMG_5981.jpeg

IMG_5983.jpeg

Thanks for posting those links. Very helpful. I see you had to prop up Wilma. Do they have a fan blowing on them?

Thanks for posting those links. Very helpful. I see you had to prop up Wilma. Do they have a fan blowing on them?
You're welcome about the links. HTH.

Re. a fan - not yet but thanks for the reminder. I have a couple of "desk fans" that are maybe 3" across but, even at that size, they push a surprising amount of air. I'll see about getting one in the tent today.

Things just cruising along
Should have clarified earlier — Wilma is standing on her own. I put up the "safety net" just in case.

I did try to run a fan in there but it played havoc with the RH. Once I get them into the res, I'll definitely have a fan running, though. Also, my preference is to use a silica supplement. I don't know if it does a bit of good but I feel better when I use it. :)

Day 5 above ground

Checked on things this AM and they're both looking really good. I've been very reluctant to raise PPFD/DLI. For my GG grow last summer, DLI was about 10. Over in this thread, @Buds Buddy laid it out so clearly that even I could figure it out. He runs his seedlings at 27 moles and doesn't look back.

There's plenty of sites that state that DLI's should be in the single digits. But, "Who you gonna believe?", right? At least one light manufacturer is putting out usable values 150 - 350 for 18/6. And growers on other sites report using DLI's in the mid-20's, as well.

Even though the plants are only 5 days old, Wilma and Chris are different enough in height (many 1") that their PPFd values are 40 µmols different. Wilma at 306, Chris at 360. Using a 20/4 light cycle, that's a DLI of 18.7 vs 22.0. That's where they're set now so I'm calling is a DLI of 20.

Leaves are looking good, roots are good, and they're both standing on their own. I'm thinking they'll be in the res at mid-week.
IMG_6007.jpeg
IMG_6008.jpeg
IMG_6009.jpeg
IMG_6010.jpeg
IMG_6011.jpeg

Day 11 above ground
A few days ago, I moved the plants from the seedling tray to netpots. The seedlings had a lot of roots coming through the RapidRooters and moving them to netpots allowed that growth to continue. I drenched the seedling + RR a couple of times a day with EC 0.5 nutes and they've grown really well. I started with a dilute solution of RapidStart and then switched to diluted nutes when I put them in the netpots.

Last week, I bought a Royal Blue LED puck from RapidLED ("the Puck") and set it up on a tripod on the res top. It ran in 2 hours sessions so that about 10% of the DLI was from the puck. The XS1500 provided the rest of the 25 moles.

Lesson learned already — in my previous grows (this is grow #4), I've been giving the seedlings too little light with DLI's in the single digits or low teens. It's easy to find sources that recommend levels that low. A little over a week ago, I came across this thread and I'm really glad that I did! I decided stick with their advice - a DLI of 25 - and things could not have turned out better. Per the attachments, these little plants look amazing! The leaves are flat and level and the color is spot on. So it shall be forever more - 25 moles for seedlings!

With that intro, it was everybody in the res today and that means I had the pleasure of mixing my first set of nutes. I switched to using quick connects on the hoses instead of having to crank them on and off a few times. Amazing how a little change like that makes the task easier to deal with.

Mixing the Jack's was a breeze. I'm not using 3-2-1, strictly. I'm using just the 3-2 (3.8-2.5-0) because there's enough Mg and S without the Epsom Salts. In addition to Part A and Part B, I'm using the Silica Guard that I was using with Botanicare. And there's Hydroguard, too.

The Vipar Spectra XS1500 is packed up and I'm using the Mars SP 3000 as the main light with along with the Puck since the Mars is a full spectrum light. The Mars is 8" above canopy. Lighting schedule has been 18/6 which change to 20/4, starting tonight. PPFD is 350 so that'll be 25 moles and the Puck will add just over 2 moles, for a DLI of 27.

Weather has been very cooperative so tent temps have been in the low 80's at times. The Pulse + Wetbird have me keep on top of VPD.

Oh, yeah, names? Wilma (Rudolph) and Chris (Evert). One of the seeds got off to a bit of a rough start, hence being named after Wilma Rudolph.

Capto_ 2022-03-26_06-25-59_PM.png
IMG_6045.jpeg
IMG_6046.jpeg
IMG_6054.jpeg

Day 14 above ground.

Everything's working well in the tent. The only hitch looks to be my nute strength is a little low.

The light level is 350 µmols with just the Mars and that goes up to 420 when the Puck is running. I've changed the hours around so I'm at a DLI of 25. The Apogee is running its log function where it takes a reading every 30 seconds and uses those values to create an average value for each half hour.

Tent Weather - For the past few days, all I've had to do was change the humidity setting on Wetbird to keep VPD at 0.8. That changed yesterday with the arrival of a cold spell. Temps will range from high 50's to mid-60's for the next week so the little oil heater is back in service. Right now it's 77° and 76% in the tent.

Nutes - The res is Jacks 3-2-0 with an EC of 0.5 and I think that's too low. Chris is a solid green color but Wilma is looking a little pale. Checking my journal from when I grew these seeds last summer, the res was EC 1.0 at day 14 so I'm going to boost the EC. One option is to hand water the netpots until the weekend and do a new res at EC 1 but there's also the option of dropping 4 gallons from the res and adding a double strength batch of nutes. The latter would get the res to just under EC 1.0 but adding nutes by hand should take care of the problem.

One picture is from the tent cam, the other (big image) is from the iPhone. Zoom in to Wilma (on the left) and the mottling is quite apparent. Chris isn't showing any issues.

In the image from the tent cam, that's the oil heater hanging up next to the light.

7C78B285B584_1648607376.jpeg

IMG_6092.jpeg

Day 18 above ground (3.4 or week 3, day 4)

Chris sprouted five fingered-leaves so she is officially in veg. In contrast, Wilma continues to lag behind Chris. I checked pictures going back to germination and it looks like she's three or four days behind. Based on how well Chris is growing, she will be ready to top in a few days.

The attachments show the difference in plant size and root structure. Chris has a very uniform color vs Wilma who has had a lot of light green. Perhaps that will change over the next few days as she approaches veg. If not, I may need to deal with a deficiency. That would be really weird because her roommate is doing really well but Wilma has had a tough time since the start (hence her name).

Cool weather ends on Monday. Tomorrow will be another mid-60's day and then it's 70's and 80's. That'll bump the temps in the garage a degree or two. It's only after weeks of highs in the 70's or 80's that tent temps get into the 80's. A week from now, it'll be back to the 70's and 60's so I'll have the heater running to keep the temps in the high 770's.

The plants are so small that their water uptake is minimal so I haven't checked the water level. After a week of nothing but bubbling airstones, pH did drop to from 5.9 to 5.8 and now it's alternating between those values.

EC is unchanged at 1.04 (520 PPM). I had been "hand watering" the plants but no longer, now that they've got roots. The nute mix is Jack's 3-2-0.

I decided to try BubbleMac airstones for the res. I have no idea if they will make a difference to the plants but, when do a visual of a 4" cylindrical air stone vs the BubbleMac's, the latter are putting out a ton of very small bubbles. If anyone's interested, it's model #1020TP from Bubble Mac.

I raised the Mars from 8" to 15" so PPFD dropped to 330 for each plant. The Puck is still contributing 75 µmols for 10 hours a day. Lights will be out at 11 PM to hit a DLI of 25.0. I want to ramp that up quickly, now that Chris is in veg, but Wilma is behind a bit behind so I need to take that into account.

In the picture "Res Top" the device behind Chris is the Pulse and behind that is an Inkbird CO2 monitor. I've been wondering what CO2 levels were here and I've been thinking about getting a monitor but it just wasn't worth $70 to find out. I was on a cannabis forum where Inkbird is one of the sponsors and they were offering a discount coupon so I ended up getting it for $35. And, numbers please!

Ambient CO2 is 410. When I put the sensor on the desk in my office, it reads in the 420's. In the tent? Right now it's 417 but I have seen it as high as 500 over the course of the day. It's a curiosity for me but it would be interesting to see how it changes through the 24 hour cycle (not that I plan on being in the tent at 02, of course!)

That's about it for now. Wilma and Chris are busy, busy but it's only day 18 so will start to get interesting in the next week or so.

Chris roots.jpeg
Chris.jpeg
Res Top.jpeg
Wilma roots.jpeg

Wilma.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom