Growin' Again

Hi. Would be interested to know what area you are illuminating with the 1000W , and what % you run your ballast at for veg and flower??? My Cooltube not arriving till next week and am thinking about how to set it all up.
Thanks.
Hi. Would be interested to know what area you are illuminating with the 1000W , and what % you run your ballast at for veg and flower??? My Cooltube not arriving till next week and am thinking about how to set it all up.
Thanks.
Hey sorry for not getting back to u sooner work gets in the way of all the things I want to do lol. I use my 1000 to illuminate a 5 by 4 canopy. The light drops off around the edges but with the correct reflector you can do a 5 by 5 canopy with good results. My clones r under 6400k bulbs. I use a 400 w MH in winter and an 8 bank led in summer for veg. When the ladies hit the flower room I start them at 600w for the first week 800w for the second. 1000w the rest of the way. I have 8 feet clean between my floor and light if needed. I also run a 6 inch fan with a dimmer to turn up or down the airflow over the bulb.

Hey sorry for not getting back to u sooner work gets in the way of all the things I want to do lol. I use my 1000 to illuminate a 5 by 4 canopy. The light drops off around the edges but with the correct reflector you can do a 5 by 5 canopy with good results. My clones r under 6400k bulbs. I use a 400 w MH in winter and an 8 bank led in summer for veg. When the ladies hit the flower room I start them at 600w for the first week 800w for the second. 1000w the rest of the way. I have 8 feet clean between my floor and light if needed. I also run a 6 inch fan with a dimmer to turn up or down the airflow over the bulb.
That is my set up it’s not perfect. If money’s and space r good it is better ro run separate lines. One for the cool tub and one forthe filter(assuming u r running one) but you would need two fans. The way I set up I just eliminated one fan lol.

Ta for that KCCO. I'll be putting my 1000W hps into a Cooltube next week. Will have main venting out via the cooltube, but think i will leave my current 120mm computer fan (in the roof vent hole of the tent) in place. What you have said about the light regime gells with other stuff i have read.

Suspect over my next grow will run the light @ 60% 22/2 for veg and then ramp it up 60 / 80 and 100% 12/12 over the first 3-4 weeks of flowering. Offset the higher power use in flowering against the shorter daylength.

Will have to dig out the PAR meter again once i get the Cooltube in place and work out height vs temp at plants, but im using a 4ft x 4ft tent so the 1000W is slightly overkill for that area i think.

Will post photos and PAR levels in a wekk or so when done. :)

Seeyahs!

Me again.

Day 65 / 15 flowering.

Plants happy. Did a light defoliation to expose lower buds and branches.

Previous defol leaves have been decarbed in the oven then into jars in a dark cupboard. Will use for extracts and butter as after the oven treatment its a bit harsh to smoke.

This lot and the bag of frozen leaf i had in the freezer i am spreading on the tent floor in front of the trays to dry for a few days and will jar that up to cure. Intention is to do a mix of buds i have curing and natural dried leaf, and let that cure a while. I find smoking the straight buds just to strong. Zonks me out. :) Have some older buds that i mixed with leaf that has been curing 6 months and even that rolled up into a 3 paper joint with 1/3 tobacco is for sharing only. A whole joint to myself is more than enough.

Leaf / bud mix is good or a party as you can afford to roll a couple of big impressive bangers. :)

These days though i prefer the 4g bud, decarbed in the pressure cooker, and extracted to 25ml ethanol. 4 drops in a coffee and nicely well disposed to the world for an evening. :) Also very discrete and not smelly if heading out about town.

Day 66 / 16 of flowering

My tent at the moment. :)

Instead of having the leaf on the floor, made a flyscreen bag and hung it up in the top part of the tent where the heat from the light will dry it out nicely. Tent @ 44% humidity and 28 degrees C for now.

Cooltube coming in next week so will re-arrange then.

Day 66 / 16 of flowering

My tent at the moment. :)

Instead of having the leaf on the floor, made a flyscreen bag and hung it up in the top part of the tent where the heat from the light will dry it out nicely. Tent @ 44% humidity and 28 degrees C for now.

Cooltube coming in next week so will re-arrange then.
Hey the ladies look happy. Keep an eye on that sticky strip. The heat from the lamp will make the glue run down and drip on the plants. I have had it happen lol.

Day 68 / 18 of flowering

All good. :)

Spacebox plants doing well too.

Started to do a bit of experimentation with another Spacebox today to test for my next grow. It will be a small one to try out a bit of a cross between DWC hydro and hempy bucket method.

Have a Spacebox setup the same as my current one with a 250mm pot sitting in it, and a fan and 2 COB light on 24/0. Pot is bottom lined with plastic flyscreen and filled with perlite. Rinsed that, and is sitting in a couple of inches of water. Want to run that over the weekend and see how damp the perlite is on Monday with the only watering being what it soaks up from underneath and the light / airflow conditions as they would be for a grow..

If that works ok, then will set that up with 2 x 250mm pots of perlite . Bit like the "hempy cup" thing from another thread. Am expecting to have to top down water till the roots develop, but will get a rockwool cube for each seed, flush / pH them, and put the cube with seed into the perlite. No transplanting involved, and the rockwool will hold water to keep the seed happy in the initial stages while allowing plenty of air in. Will use an aquarium pump and a few airstones in the nally bin to keep the water / nutes mixed and aerated, and an airstone in the bottom of each pot buried in the perlite as well.

For nutes, as the perlite has nuthin, i'm going to start off by reading up on what people are using for hempy buckets. Am thinking i'd like to try starting with just 1/4 strength vegetative Thrive and see how that goes, but have a bit of thinking to do on this.

Ahhh...tinkering. :)

Ok, slow day so got into setting up a Spacebox DWC hydro with bits i had already built or had.

DIY / hardware aspects here.

PhilDG's Breeding Spacebox's and DWC.

But will post grow progress on this thread.

pH'd and soaked some rockwool cubes, have 6 seeds planted in those, and now in the Spacebox to germinate in place. All from my female seed stock, Only have pH'd water in the system at the moment. 2 COB LED is on 22/2 cycle.

If all 6 seeds take off may have to thin out 2 to give more room, will see. :)

The Spaceboxes are breeding!!

Seeyahs!

Day 71 / 21 of flowering.

Cooltube arrived today and all hung. Have the duct from the tube straight to the 120mm, 12V computer fan in the roof vent of the tent. Seem to be getting reasonable airflow through the tube, and will keep an ey on the temp / humidity over the next few days. Will do light meter tests tomorrow.

My temp / humidity gauge has the sensor hung down at the plants, and i'm expecting that now the temps in the top of the tent above the light and well above the plants will go high. Which is ok as thats where i hang my defoled leaves drying bag. :)

The tent with the Cooltube.

daS Spacebox with cuttings goes on. Thats at Day 36 / 10 of flowering.

Day 72 / 22 of flowering.

With the Cooltube installed getting 800 Par in the center, 350-400 Par in the corners, 550-600 Par center edges @ average canopy height. 1000W HPS running @ 80%.

Am only getting about a 3 degree difference in temp between plant and top of tent. Leaf in the drying bag drying slowly with some mixing once a day.

All good. :)

Day 74 / 24 of flowering

Plants all good. Did find a male flower open today so getting some hermie. Not unexpected from previous grows with this variety and not particularly fussed. :)

Plants in the DWC Spacebox starting to push their heads up out of the rockwool after 6 days so that's going well so far.

From the whole grow to date, I now have in storage (dry weight) 227g of leaf that has been decarbed in the oven (so only good for cooking, butter, extractions...) and 127g of slow dried leaf in glass jars for curing that i can decarb later, or use to mix with buds to get a smoking mix that doesn't leave me totally shitfaced and couch locked. :)

Have smoked the straight leaf before and gives a nice mild buzz. Good for a party where you can easily stay sociable, and have the volume to roll some big, impressive bangers for passing around and making someone else's house really smelly. :)

Am getting a few gnats in the tent, so think i'll mix up some Vectobac ( a Bacillus thuringiensis prep) that i use at work and apply as a soil drench to knock them back a bit. Not a biggie, and i suspect this is a consequence of my initial impatience in setting up where i used vermiculite instead of perlite and so have a heaver, wetter soil mix than i would have liked for this grow.

Seeyahs!

Day 76 / 26 of Flowering

Main tent all good. buds filling out.

Spacebox....Day 40 / 12 of Flowering

Did defol and feed. Small space gets crowded easily.

DWC Spacebox....Day 8.

Had 5 of 6 seeds poke their heads up. thinned it down to 4 plants to be going on with.
Early days be looking ok. Will be interesting managing the transition from seedlings to plants and avoiding nute issues.

Wondering if there is any value in putting a small pond pump in the tank and an all round pattern "dripper"
in the middle of each pot. Run for a half hour two or three times / day??

Seeyahs!

Day 80 / 30 of Flowering.

DWC Spacebox now has a pond pump that feeds a dripper on each plant for half an hour every 3 hours.

Main tent plants all good. Found a few more male flowers today so reckon will get a few seeds. Flower styles are starting to go brown, and will start looking at the trichomes next week. Reckon i am 2-3 weeks away from harvesting these.

Would be nice to harvest the main tent and then move the DWC setup into the main tent for finishing veg and flowering. :)

Day 86 / 36 of flowering.

All good and buds filling out nicely. Will get some seeds as a couple of plants went hermie. Trichomes have blobby heads but are largely still clear so a ways to go yet.

Plants in main tent:

Spacebox grow of clones. Pulled a male flower off on off these tonight. Day 50 since cutting taken and day 22 of flowering for these.

DWC spacebox grow: All good here on day 18 from seed planting. Seedlings seem to be starting to take off so suspect have gotten some decent root development under there. Nutes are water with a few pinches of vegetative type Thrive soluble fertilizer. ph5.6 and ppm 331

Removed the pond pump as just not needed. Perlite wicking fluids up nicely. Tank still has 4 bubblers going 24 /7 for mixing and aeration.

"So the pertile is in place of those growstones I see in some hydro setups? "

Yup. Its really just used a media for the roots to grow in and support the plant. "Hempy Buckets: method uses perlite. Nice airy root zone.

"So the topfeed was only needed till the roots reached the DWC. "

Yup. Seemed to be getting a bit of algae growth on the rockwool and was quite wet. Plenty of moisture in the perlite and the pump / topfeed was looking like an unnecessary complication. Will be keeping an eye on them and maybe top watering but only if needed.

Happy with this so far but is first attempt at hydro so will likely bork something up sometime. :)

Back
Top Bottom