Massachusetts: Lawmakers Look Into Legalizing Marijuana

Jacob Redmond

Some lawmakers in Massachusetts are working on a push to legalize the recreational use of marijuana, meant to head off a possible ballot question on that topic in 2016.

Bill Downing, the treasurer of Bay State Repeal, told FOX 25 political reporter Sharman Sacchetti he's convinced his efforts to legalize marijuana through a 2016 ballot question will pay off.

"You expect this will be on the ballot in 2016?" Sacchetti asked.

"It will. Most certainly. And it will pass," Downing replied.

He's taking it to the voters because he says lawmakers just won't do it.

"It's a hot potato item. No legislature wants to touch the hot potato," he said.

Senate President Stan Rosenberg said he has put together a group to study the effects of legalizing pot.

That group is looking at everything from addiction, to public safety to setting up a legal age. It's an effort to be ready ahead of the ballot initiative.

"This information will be used to inform the debate on the bills that are in the legislature or the bill as it appears on the ballot for the voters in November of 2016," Rosenberg said.

So far voters have approved ballot questions decriminalizing small amounts of pot and legalizing medical marijuana. But after two years and a highly criticized botched rollout, not a single dispensary is open.

In part because of lessons learned from that, Senator Pat Jehlen has proposed a bill of her own to legalize, tax and sell pot.

"I think we could avoid that sort of problem we had people talking about it beforehand rather than try to pick up the pieces afterward," Jehlen said.

But Governor Charlie Baker is against legalizing marijuana.

Could a ballot question, or any study findings change his mind?

"I don't think it's going to change my opinion. I've talked to too many people in healthcare and the addiction world and the educational community to change my mind on it," Governor Baker told Sacchetti.

Speaker Robert DeLeo has said he has concerns about public health and public safety, but he's open to at least studying this issue.

Senate President Rosenberg expects to have the findings on this report later in the year.

13559.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Lawmakers look into legalizing marijuana in Mass. - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston
Author: Sharman Sacchetti
Contact: Submit a News Tip - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston
Photo Credit: Norml
Website: Home - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

Back
Top Bottom