Mother's Joy As Backpacker Receives Jail Tranfer

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
The mother of a backpacker thrown in an Indian jail for a crime he claims he did not commit has spoken of her relief at his upcoming transfer to a British jail.

But Teresa Malluzzo – who has not seen her son Patrick for seven years – admitted her joy at his homecoming was tainted with disappointment that he would not be returning a free man.

She told KOS Media: "It’s a bitter sweet situation – I hoped we would be able to clear his name, but we’re pleased he’s coming back to England.

"We’ve been told he’ll have to serve half of the remainder of his sentence, which is three-and-a-half years, so he’ll be in prison for another 15 months when he gets back."

Mr Malluzzo, from Dartford, was given a 10-year sentence for drug-smuggling while backpacking in India in 2004, but he has always maintained his innocence.

The 32-year-old, who has no previous convictions, was arrested at Mumbai airport and charged with possession of cannabis resin before facing a trial conducted entirely in Hindi.

He claims he met another backpacker, who he decided to travel to Goa with, and that his new friend booked two train tickets.

But Mr Malluzzo decided to stay on in Rajasthan and claims he agreed to meet up with his companion in Goa, asking him to take a small bag of his clothing so he could travel light.

The former city worker said his friend called to say he had accidentally left the bag on the train, and it was later found under the seat booked in Mr Malluzzo’s name and contained 19kg of cannabis resin.

He was arrested and taken to Rajasthan, where he claims he was severely tortured and forced to sign confessions written in Hindi.

Fair Trials International, which has been helping in his case, called it a "travesty of justice".

Mrs Malluzzo and her husband Salvatore, from Dartford, said they were shocked when they received a call saying he had been arrested.

"The last time I saw him was in 2003 when he left on his travels, although my husband has seen him about six times since then," said Mrs Malluzzo.

"I haven’t been able to speak to him as the prison is strict with phone calls. We write letters though and get messages to him.

"We’re so pleased the Indian authorities have agreed to let him serve the rest of his sentence here.

"Patrick is sick. He has malaria and a urinary tract infection. His health is not good and he’s depressed."

The decision to allow him to transfer followed a request by Patrick Malluzzo, although he made the decision not to pursue an appeal against his case at the Supreme Court.

Mrs Malluzzo said: "It can take up to three years to bring a case forward so we all decided we would get Patrick transferred rather than fight the case.

"Patrick will find out this week about his transfer and I’m sure he’ll be very pleased – he wants to come home."

She added: "We just hope now the Ministry of Justice will do their utmost to bring an end to all this."

A date for Mr Malluzzo’s transfer has not yet been set.

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: kentnews.co.uk
Copyright: 2010 KOS Media Ltd.
Website: Kent News - Mother's joy as backpacker receives jail transfer

Back
Top Bottom