New member saying hello!

Jecedjrr

Hello everyone!
I’m Jece! Experienced smoker and indoor grower. Very new to outdoor growing and organic soils.
I may lean on you guys a bit for some knowledge when it comes to outdoor growing and organic soils as I am just getting started.
I reside in a legalized state an could not be happier with that. I dreamed of such a day as a teen.
I guess in some ways I do use marijuana for medicinal purposes as it does help me with headaches and sleepless nights. I started as recreational user an still enjoy that sativa head high til this day.
I’m currently growing a few plants outdoors. it being my first season growing outdoors I wanted to keep the grow small so as to not waste too much money if everything goes to shit. I put two in 30 gallon pots an 1 in the ground. I’m using a super soil with bio 360.
I put them outside late, not sure how much this hurts yield or the grow entirely but it was mid July15 or so. They seem to be doing well but I did see some powdery mildew on the green crack. (On left) Middle is LA Amnesia, on the right is Glookies by Barney’s Farm. I have coverage above keeping them out of the rain but I haven’t put up a windbreak yet (garbage can Lid not effective) so they’ve been whacked by the wind. I’m in the N.E / USA so humidity will most likely destroy my grow. I do not believe these to be the best strains to grow in this damp environment. In other words, I do not have high hopes but I do intend on learning as much as I can. I’m surprised I’ve come this far an they look as good as they do.
Come next season I plan to put out as many as 12 plants. I’m testing a soil indoors throughout the winter I whipped up a cpl weeks ago. Letting it cook now.
If anyone notices anything wrong in the pics please feel free to speak up and make suggestions.

Attachments

• E6340F88-3060-4B36-9691-AE77F2154050.jpeg
    E6340F88-3060-4B36-9691-AE77F2154050.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 46
  • CF189F83-ED47-4798-B4D3-C9A21A69C368.jpeg
    CF189F83-ED47-4798-B4D3-C9A21A69C368.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 47
  • DAC630CC-652F-479F-B0E5-96B0A1B53EF1.jpeg
    DAC630CC-652F-479F-B0E5-96B0A1B53EF1.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 52
  • B92CBBE1-8028-4CD4-9E01-AEA145E3078D.jpeg
    B92CBBE1-8028-4CD4-9E01-AEA145E3078D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 57
  • 3B89FA5B-74C6-4DBA-8746-E9A914C74E59.jpeg
    3B89FA5B-74C6-4DBA-8746-E9A914C74E59.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 51
:welcome:

Hey Jece, welcome! Your plants all look healthy and good to my eyes. I grow outdoor using LOS in containers, so far I've not encountered PM, probably from the baking heat on my balcony, but somewhere here on 420 I have read of folk successfully treating their plants for PM, sorry I can't be more help. And as you say, presumably some strains will be better than others in different environmental conditions.

Hey Jece, welcome! Your plants all look healthy and good to my eyes. I grow outdoor using LOS in containers, so far I've not encountered PM, probably from the baking heat on my balcony, but somewhere here on 420 I have read of folk successfully treating their plants for PM, sorry I can't be more help. And as you say, presumably some strains will be better than others in different environmental conditions.
Hey! Thanks for the reply!
I sprayed them with Neem oil , not sure if this is more of a preventative fix. It was just a few leaves so I plucked them.
Im excited like a big kid! Just happy the super soil I put together seems to be feeding the plants well so far! :)
Idk much about pest management. Bugs and all that. I’d like to attract some predatory insects to kill the bad boys. I use pine bark mulch to attract hornets. Doesn’t seem to be working. I was told there’s a docile species that really likes pine.
What do you guys use as pest preventative measures outdoors?

I sprayed them with Neem oil , not sure if this is more of a preventative fix. It was just a few leaves so I plucked them.
Im excited like a big kid! Just happy the super soil I put together seems to be feeding the plants well so far! :)
Idk much about pest management. Bugs and all that. I’d like to attract some predatory insects to kill the bad boys. I use pine bark mulch to attract hornets. Doesn’t seem to be working. I was told there’s a docile species that really likes pine.

Ladybugs worked well for me or at least with fungus gnats and also a battle I had with root aphids a couple years back, other than the few that would piggy back on me into the house which irked my old lady ;) and I can irk her enough on my own w/o any extra help :rofl: . Can find them at some Hydro/Gardening stores or Online also, just follow directions on there so some stick around (release later in day when they not as active), they will lay eggs if enough food for them around and they will stick around until they feel there isn't and go somewhere else (Adults eat some but their larvae are the ones with big appetites) .

Ladybugs worked well for me or at least with fungus gnats and also a battle I had with root aphids a couple years back, other than the few that would piggy back on me into the house which irked my old lady ;) and I can irk her enough on my own w/o any extra help :rofl: . Can find them at some Hydro/Gardening stores or Online also, just follow directions on there so some stick around (release later in day when they not as active), they will lay eggs if enough food for them around and they will stick around until they feel there isn't and go somewhere else (Adults eat some but their larvae are the ones with big appetites) .
I may give ladybugs a shot. I’ve read that most of the time they will not stick around but they aren’t very costly so worth a shot. Thank you for the advice!
I have to work on my bug identification skills. Do you know of a chart I can look at to reference?

I have to work on my bug identification skills. Do you know of a chart I can look at to reference?

Not sure if there is one here on Forums or not (don't recall one anyway), as good to know which ones are good bugs or bad bugs or some like some of the wasps that are predators but build nest in plant and damages that way.

Heard Praying Mantis good too, but they are indiscriminate in their killing and kill good bugs too unlike the lady bugs.

I have so far only used spray Neem, Dr Bronners soap and insecticide soap. Usually all or a mixture of, but always including Dr Bronners. I also amended my super soil mix with Neem meal and next grow will include crustacean meal for Chitin content which is said to make the plant stronger again some bugs. I have no experience in deliberately releasing good bugs on my plants but sometimes I have found a resident preying mantis amongst them. I have mostly had no problems in veg, it is more into flowering when caterpillars, aphids and spider mites show up. In future I will spray without fail weekly or whatever, as my experience of ad-hoc spraying when visually needed is not enough. Some folks advocate letting nature rule, where if pests show up the chances are their natural predators will soon also show up to dine of them.

At the end of the day, I think it's all good, whatever works in the environment/location you're in, so that your plant's precious buds are kept undamaged! :hookah:

I have so far only used spray Neem, Dr Bronners soap and insecticide soap. Usually all or a mixture of, but always including Dr Bronners. I also amended my super soil mix with Neem meal and next grow will include crustacean meal for Chitin content which is said to make the plant stronger again some bugs. I have no experience in deliberately releasing good bugs on my plants but sometimes I have found a resident preying mantis amongst them. I have mostly had no problems in veg, it is more into flowering when caterpillars, aphids and spider mites show up. In future I will spray without fail weekly or whatever, as my experience of ad-hoc spraying when visually needed is not enough. Some folks advocate letting nature rule, where if pests show up the chances are their natural predators will soon also show up to dine of them.

At the end of the day, I think it's all good, whatever works in the environment/location you're in, so that your plant's precious buds are kept undamaged! :hookah:
Ty for the info!
I’ll have a look at Dr Bronners soap. Is there something you all use during flower besides predatory insects? What do you all use to keep away the caterpillars? They make me nervous!

Ty for the info!
I’ll have a look at Dr Bronners soap. Is there something you all use during flower besides predatory insects? What do you all use to keep away the caterpillars? They make me nervous!
Sorry, I should have included this, BT spray for caterpillars I have found to be very effective. BT is a bacteria (Bacillus Thuringiensis), it kills caterpillars when they consume it.

I’ve seen bt spray on amazon. Is there any brand I should be looking for or staying away from?
I appreciate your time
I would assume they're all pretty much the same, if they contain BT that's the only necessary ingredient, follow the directions of mixing in water and spray.

Back
Top Bottom