Question about usable parts of the actual mushroom and stem cleaning...

tallboy2023

I've begun harvesting my Golden Teachers. When I pull them out, some of them end up with really long stems that extend all the way to bottom of the tub. They are covered in dirt and the coco top player. Is every part of the stem edible? What is the best way to clean the stems without bruising them? I tried using a tooth brush and they turned completely blue. Should I wait until they dry and use a softer brush?

I've begun harvesting my Golden Teachers. When I pull them out, some of them end up with really long stems that extend all the way to bottom of the tub. They are covered in dirt and the coco top player. Is every part of the stem edible? What is the best way to clean the stems without bruising them? I tried using a tooth brush and they turned completely blue. Should I wait until they dry and use a softer brush?
I have had good luck with letting them dry out a bit first, then use a damp paper towel or soft brush to get the dirt off.
I always cut the very end of the stem off, the hard end with the roots. Just a small amount, because all of the stem is edible. With that small end cut off, it's easier to brush away the dirt.

If the stem extended to the bottom of the substrate I would say it was to shallow , If you pull large/deep chunks of mycelium its because the casing layer (if you used one) is to dry. Generally I use one of those breakaway razors for cutting cardboard and rake the bottom of the stem kind of like I'm shaving the skin off and apple . I do this over a paper towel or plate. It seems to be the easiest way that I have found as I have tried it after drying at it was more than twice the work. Hope it helps.

Back
Top Bottom