Scary in my yard, near my girls

trichomes

these are aggressive, sound like Hummingbirds, so big, you can hear their wings as they buzz my head every day right after dark, caught this with my bait net. Ever seen one? I'm on the lookout for eggs , then, caterpillars the size of fingers!
hawkmoth.jpg

Its called a humming bird moth. I just a picture of one outside my room. They're nectar suckers, just like humming birds. They're harmless to you ladies unless they happen to pick up a pest or their eggs and transfer it to your girls.

You know what, I didn't think about the caterpillar these must be at first. Hmmm... I would just Google it!

That thing is huge!

I would go with SNS-209 so when they bite your plant they won't like it.

With all due respect, SNS-209 will not work against this. Insects in general aren't suppose to "like rosemary", however the moth is looking for a great lush place to lay its eggs , so its larvae have maximum survival percentages. If I were you (original poster) I would be on the look out for all types of caterpillars. I personally am dealing with the worst of the worst (European-Corn Borer), which drill into my buds and poop everywhere, i've lost over an ounce to these ferocious worms and I'm doing everything in my power to decrease the amount I had last season. These things flying near your plants are not something you want them used to.

Better stock up on a concentrated bottle of BT spray ( Safer brand ). As it is the only defense we have ( other than the typical tweezer/toothpick routine) !! That thing is a beast, luckily its not a european-high flyer, and the one you have will likely have larger larvae and larger caterpillars which are easier to spot on the leaves and bud.

It's when you have the perfect moth (european high flyer) lay it's eggs through the sticky trichomes ( cannot be removed ) if you don't get the egg, it will hatch, immediately drill into the stem and will no longer be seen until it decapitates a cola. Got to get them before this happens.

These worms are the largest outdoor plague, I'm amazed at how brutal it can be.

Decapitated cola, note the fecal matter on the left, followed a hollowed out core of the stem (he's in there)
photo_11_16.JPG

He comes charging out of his home to defend it, and he actually bites the air trying to fight me off.
photo_14_9.JPG

Be Aware :Namaste:

GREAT BIG THANK YOU, THAT IS A HORRIFYING PICTURE :Namaste:
With all due respect, SNS-209 will not work against this. Insects in general aren't suppose to "like rosemary", however the moth is looking for a great lush place to lay its eggs , so its larvae have maximum survival percentages. If I were you (original poster) I would be on the look out for all types of caterpillars. I personally am dealing with the worst of the worst (European-Corn Borer), which drill into my buds and poop everywhere, i've lost over an ounce to these ferocious worms and I'm doing everything in my power to decrease the amount I had last season. These things flying near your plants are not something you want them used to.

Better stock up on a concentrated bottle of BT spray ( Safer brand ). As it is the only defense we have ( other than the typical tweezer/toothpick routine) !! That thing is a beast, luckily its not a european-high flyer, and the one you have will likely have larger larvae and larger caterpillars which are easier to spot on the leaves and bud.

It's when you have the perfect moth (european high flyer) lay it's eggs through the sticky trichomes ( cannot be removed ) if you don't get the egg, it will hatch, immediately drill into the stem and will no longer be seen until it decapitates a cola. Got to get them before this happens.

Decapitated cola, note the fecal matter on the left, followed a hollowed out core of the stem (he's in there)
photo_11_16.JPG

He comes charging out of his home to defend it, and he actually bites the air trying to fight me off.
photo_14_9.JPG

photo_11_16.JPG

photo_14_9.JPG

I believe we just said the same thing..?

THANKS jj its the most aggressive insect in Ventura County, imagine the damage from his caterpillar, war declared, any eggs will be found before they can hatch, treated yard w/ the best spray,made just for caterpillars, called "caterpillar killer" they are almost out of season, I only see 1 a day after sunset instead of multiples feeding on nearby blossoms. :peace:
That thing is huge!

I would go with SNS-209 so when they bite your plant they won't like it.

Back
Top Bottom