Serious foxtailing issue! Need Help!

ginnzy

Hey guys,

Im turning to the community here for some input. I have an issue with Foxtailing in my room, that I just cannot explain, the conditions that its happening in blow most of the conventional theory's out of the water.

My room is approx 10 x 18, and has a bed in it that is 6'x14', and above it I have a "beam" that supports three 1000w HPS. The plants are in 5" netpots and the bed is filled with 4" of Sunshine #4.

The bed is holding 73 plants, and the Foxtailing is happening under only one part of the bed, directly under light #1, at one end of the bed! Basically all of the plants are showing serious signs of foxtail, with the buds under this part being loose, and elongated with multiple foxtail chutes coming off of them, the rest of the plants under the other two lights are maturing normally and are getting big, and are tight, with little to no foxtailing showing.... The area at the one end of the room is where the fresh air is being introduced into the room, with a 875 CFM fan, So that area of the room is typically a few degree's cooler, and the humidity is prolly at it's lowest being around 56% average. So it's not a "heat stress issue". It can't be a nute issue as the bed is watered via a 1/2" pipe system. The nutes are mixed in a 45 gal barrel, and pumped to the bed approx every four days. Every plant takes only what it needs, as they are in netpots, and the whole bed is soaked.... The enviroment is controlled by a special thermostat that keeps the room between 70-75 degree's, this is the range of tems that seem to be best to have the fans come on at least every 15 mins for 4-5 min at a time, replacing the air in the room constantly. Humidity is controlled via dehumidifiers. The humidity in the room is around 56-60% at all times.

My nute's consist of AN Sensi bloom A/B, Alaska More Bloom, Bud Blaster, and at week 3 i introduce approx 300 ppm of commercial veg food to help prevent yellowing. I have a zero water system. my ph is always 6-6.5,and I never go over 975 ppm nute level in bloom. As of yesterday I just started using Bud Candy to see if it will help my final product.....?

I cant explain why the 25 plants at the one of the bed are displaying the foxtailing, and having loose bud formation, while the other 50 or so plants are normal, and have huge hard packed buds!?? I just doesnt make sense? Yesterday I was at a loss, and replaced the bulb at that end, with a new Sylvania 1000w HPS (I have a case of spares). It is the only thing that I could think of that I could change.

the last three crops I have averaged 2.3 lbs per light using this system, with a total of around 7 lbs..... This time around everything looked a bit better at the beginning of the bloom cycle, but the foxtailing issue became more prominent as the weeks went by, they are at week 6 now, and it doesnt look good at the one end now.

What in the world could be the cause of this? The enviroment is the same across the whole bed, the nutes are the same, as the bed/netpot system insures this, the only variable I could think of could have been bad light?

the last three grows, this has always been an issue, with the foxtailing always being at the same area, but it usually only became prominent at the end of the flowering cycle, and the buds at the end of the bed where this is happening have been as big, if niot bigger than the rest. Now its the opposite, with them being "Pre-Foxtailed", and loose and fingery....

Ill go there today and try and get some pictures so I can explain this phenomenon a bit better!

Come on guys, help me fix this! :) ;-)Any help is greatly appreciated!
Ginnzy

Re: Serious foxtailing issue!!! Need Help!

Might I suggest that it might still be a heat related issue as you didn't mention any air circulation within the grow room. The plants that are prone to foxtailing appear to be away from the intake and that area may be prone to hot spots which are affecting certain plants. I would setup a small fan within the grow room and make sure it is blowing across the plants most affected. This should will stop the foxtailing for this grow and prevent it in future grows.

Your just a bucket of knowledge :)

Thanks wufo! Just giving back some of what I've learned as best as I can. While some of this information was learned prior to joining this community, most of it was gained here on :420:.

Just taking it all in lol, I've been on the website for a few months now... Decided to join last month and after sucking up info I'm ready to start "producing" myself now. Happy days.

I stated that the issue is closest to the fresh air source! There is 875 cfm of fresh air being introduced right nest to where the issue is happening! There are three oscillating fans in the room as well, covering the bed area completely! here is a picture of the area in question... the area in red is where all the plants are foxtailing, blue is normal bud growth.... right beside light one on the far wall is where I have an 875 cfm fan and 8" duct introducing fresh air, and a fan right at the output blowing the fresh air around the room... the big 10" on the ceiling you see is the output to exhaust.... bottom pic is a closeup directly under light 1.

foxtailed buds!!!???

foxtailing or not man,thats a great looking setup

Thanks Dude! I appreciate it.

Well, I have a week or so left on this crop, and the plants under light 1 just don't look like they will snap out of it. Damn. i stand to loose a considerable amount due to this issue. The others are fattening up just like their supposed to, and the trich's are thick. ;-) If light 1 would have looked the same, it would have been a banner crop. I think i'll chop 2/3 down and leave the ones under light 1 for a while longer. Were only taking clones in 2 days (pineapple chunk), so I have around two weeks longer to let the others go yet. Ill see if they fatten up yet.

Are all of your plants clones or the same strain? Just asking. I thought foxtailing was based upon genotype phenotypes. I.E, some strains (sativas, hazes) are more apt to foxtail verses an Indica dominant strain.

Still, very perplexing. Also, a nod to you sir for a very nice set-up.

Hey man after a quick read of your issue I may have a soloution. You said your growing in beds? Ive read that if root temps get too warm it can cause fox tailing. Is the floor warm under the beds? Are they elevated?
Also maybe not related but you said humidity on the low end is what? 60s? You need to be more in the 40% range.

Cheers hopefully you get this all sorted. Shits looking good man.

Hey man after a quick read of your issue I may have a soloution. You said your growing in beds? Ive read that if root temps get too warm it can cause fox tailing. Is the floor warm under the beds? Are they elevated?
Also maybe not related but you said humidity on the low end is what? 60s? You need to be more in the 40% range.

Cheers hopefully you get this all sorted. Shits looking good man.

Hey, you know what, thats one thing i never thought of.... although the bed is elevated, about 12" off the floor. I ended up changing the bulb around week 6 into flower, so im not sure if that would have been the issue. My next round is in there now, and I switched strains, its all pineapple chunk now. And I just flipped them to 12/12 today. I vegged these a little longer than usual, as I did two test grows of the chunk in my smaller two light room. They did not produce as much per plant, were a bit more difficult to grow. But the end result was much stronger product. I finally did the big switch over and we'll see how it goes. We have acquired another new strain, purple kush. I will be taking clones in a week, and do a trail grow in the small room as soon as these Elephant's that are in there now are done, in approx 4 weeks.... Im anxious to try the purple kush!

thanks for your input, its another variable, but I dont think it was the issue. The whole bed is 12" off the floor, and the medium is certainly not suffering from overheating. Oh, The humidity in the room is always between 55-65% depending on whether its just been watered or not. I have two De-humidifiers working the room.

Back
Top Bottom