Strawberry Cough Yellow Leaves Help Needed

Jamahl

I am growing Strawberry Cough indoor in hydroponics.
I have a mother plant under 150W CFL in Clay Balls off 45L res with 24hr light running 0.8-1.0 CF 800-1000ppm, 6.3pH, temp =23-27C. Everything is going great.

CIMG1966_Small_.JPG

I take cuttings and once rooted if grow off Motherplant res under 2x150cfl everything is great. get leaves the size of my hands but not enough light to grow to bud.

Once i put the rooted cuttings under 400w or 600w HPS in my grow tent everything goes wrong. The leaves just go yellow and the edges burn until the whole leave is burnt.

CIMG1967_Small_.JPG

I have the grow tent on different res 90L for 4 plants running first at 1.2CF (1200ppm) then dropped it to 1.0CF....I am now running at 0.6CF (600ppm) nutirents (this is 1/4 the recomended rates on the bottles). The leaves just go yellow and burn, and the stems snap, leaves go thing and weak.

CIMG1968_Small_.JPG

Interestingly the old green leaves (from the CFL whilst rooting) are still green but the new leaves are almost completely yellow.
Here is a pic comparing to mother.

CIMG1965_Small_.JPG

I even bought a brand new res and started growing in coco-pearlite still the same problem.

Changed the bulbs, everything but still the problem.

I really dont know what to do.....Will keep trying more and more clones from mother but keep getting the same response.

OK my questions:
Anyone grown Strawberry Cough hydro before, if so what nute levels etc?
Anyone know what the hell is going on? I thought it was too much nutes due to the burning leaves but dropping EC doesnt help?

Am getting flustrated, wondered if it was the strain.

That looks like Nitrogen deficiency at 1st glance, but with N deficiency it start at the bottom. Yellow new growth and the new growth is affected 1st could be Sulfur (which almost mimics N deficiency) or Iron deficiency. All 3 have similar looking symptoms. When was ur last flush? If u've been flushing, I'd say up ur nutes because somehow it appears that the plant's just not getting the nutes it needs. When U switched to flower did u change the feeding regimen? What brand nutrients are u using? Then again SouthernWeed could be right as well, although I've never seen a light change have that effect on foliage. I'm currently working with a Deep Chunk x Strawberry Cough strain and by look at ur pics I can see similar growth patterns. What other types of problems have u had with this strain?

Going from a 150w cfl x2 to a 400 or 600w HPS is most likely a major portion of the problem. You just hit them with to much light and heat all at once. You need to harden off plants when switching light types and intensity. Introduce you rooted cuttings to the HID light gradually, an hour at a time...then two...etc, and I'll bet you find the problem solves itself.

Why don't you try foliar feeding the plants and if it is related to nutrition then they improve hit with some epsigrow/ 50% 50% solution of good one part feed bloom and grow. My girls go limp if the lights too much in transition.

I just read ur post again. Is ur mom exhibiting these symptoms? If so that's the problem. The clones are going to have the same problem as mom. Get the problem corrected b4 taking more cuts because they are gonna continue to have the same problems. If u'd have over fertilized the symptoms would be displayed differently. Tips would be curled down and perhaps browning as well, maybe accompanied by holes or spots in foliage. Doubt this is over fertilization. I use soil and coco coir. Having more problems in coco coir, soils more forgiving. I have no hydro experience. Sodo u harden off ur clones when switching from CFLs to HID lamps? Hope U a were able use some of this info.

Thanks for the reply guys, hopefully we can nut this one out.

Whats really bugging me is i am doing this for fun and to give to less fortunate mates of mine to help them out as they are paranoid and suffer anxiety...this strain is meant to help that sort of thing.

I have grown hydro a number of times before with no problems at all....had less $$$ then so it was a lot more budget effort. This time i have all the gear so dont know whats going wrong.

Regarding Nutirents....Dutch Feat brand hydro Nutes. Still running 24hr light on veg nutrients on both mom and clones. Both Mom and clones running on same Nutes at similar strengths. Reservoir is being changed weekly with daily top ups with water only (conc goes up if add nute soln). I can see a nute defficiency as wouldnt this affect the mom too?

As per the photo below, Mom is totally fine with no symptoms at all.
CIMG1964_Small_.JPG

Regarding nute difficiency....how can it be that different between Mom and clones when running same chemicals.

Regarding light hardening.....The next pic is of plants 6wks under HPS but still yellowing. If this was the issue, wouldnt the plants have recoveded in this time?
CIMG1967_Small_.JPG

I have put two of the clones under 2xCFL in the grow tent (shaded from the HPS) to see what happens. This hopefully tests if it is a light thing.

I honestly have no clue, cuz ur in hydro. I do know that my cough cross does something similar in coco coir more often than soil when I transplant and over water in a pot too large before the root system fills out the pot and the soil remains soggy. The plant's growth is stunted, and the upper leaves look similar. I honestly don't know. My last response was based upon visual comparisons from ur pics and pics from the water and nutrient section of The MMJ indoor/outdoor Medical Grower's Bible. I'm interested to know what's causing this as well, I'll stay subscribed til we figure it out. Keep my eyes open too.

Thanks BCW. Keen to get some more input.

With Coco, watering every 2hrs with hydro...is this too often???

Im growing in coco as hydro medium...as per almost everyone where i am.
Started with clay balls (3 sets of clones that all failed the same way even with diff nutes (i.e. 3 different crops trying differnt nute levels and ph etc) but moved to coco for the last cuttings on recomendation by hydro shop as it stabilises nute levels better.

FLYFISHINROCK
My tent is an EZ tent......kinda makes sense as i have grown a number of times before as a poor student and never had any problems.

When i move the plants back to the 'clone' room they go green again under same Nutes and everything. Thought it was CFL vs HPS (as cant fit HPS in clone room.

How do you fix the tent syndrome....chuck a heater in there and burn the fumes off??? how long and what temp??? Any suggestions appreciated.

BWC

Not sure of the brand of coco..its 20% perlite 80% coco. Have used clay balls and same issues so i dont think its the media.

Using tap water but where i live its quite pure with virtually no chlorine in it pH varies from 7.2 to 7.8 depending on season and source. Basically comes raw off a mountain and is very pure. doesnt even rate on the ppm meter as conc is too low in raw form.

FISH....

Just read up on web about EZ tents in Australia....

AUSSIE TENTS KILL PLANTS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey folks, well it is confirmed, tents available through ebay and through hydroponics stores in Australia are poisonous! The wholesaler knows about this problem but is still selling the tents through retailers. As far as I know only one type of tent is available in various sizes, throughout Australia and so all retailers would be affected.

This problem causes a strange yellowing of the leaves and eventual death in some sensitive strains.

.....Now i understand the problem......

Just went and checked the room.

I ripped up a well rooted (2wk since planted rooted) clone from grow room yesterday and just threw it on the clay balls of the mother plant so the hydro water would touch it....guess what happened today....it grew new green leaves...

Dont really care about the tent....more happy to know what was going on....will look into a mylar tent. these are OK are they not????

Thanks for the info. Never seen toxic tent syndrome b4. Heard that hydro huts early model grow tenets w/pvc frame released toxic gasses beneath HID. I asked about the water because i though it might be cal/mag thing (a stab in the dark). I asked about the coco because I was told by hydro store owners and a mentor that the cheaper, compressed, "brick" coir was a hassle and caused PH probs (media too acidic). Just brainstormin tryna figure it out with u. keep us posted. I want to c if ur plants recover.

A bit of an update....upgraded to Homebox tent and started with new cuttings. Everything going well at the moment...will post some pics when they grow a bit.

Back
Top Bottom