Switching Growing Mediums In Veg

sunnyg305

Hi :) I just got some plants that are currently in 1 gallon pots with a mix of 60%peat/40%probiotic veggie compost, only fed compost tea, coconut water, aloe, microbes, and enzymes, sprayed with enzymatics and EM5. The guy I got them from says it's no till growing so he doesn't adjust for pH or check ppms, but his tap comes out at 5.9. They are about 2 feet tall. He also said he watered generously yesterday and that they should be good for about 24 hours at which point I can just water with plain dechlorinated water again and that they should have enough nutrients to last about another week. I've never grown organically and being in this medium makes me nervous, especially with the propensity for water retention in their current medium, I don't want to make an error the plants won't be able to recover from quickly.

I want to transplant into 3 gallon pots to start upsizing the plants and I want to use Coco (because that's what I know). I usually veg with Canna A+B, CalMag, and rhyzo around 700ppm pH ~5.6.

I'm concerned about the transition until the roots grow beyond the peat/compost mix. And how watering with my usual nutrient regimen is going to effect the existing rootball in the peat/compost mix until these girls grow up. I imagine that until there are actually roots in the coco I need to handle these plants completely differently.

Any suggestions on how to transition from the peat/compost organic mix into aerated coco with perlite? Please help :) ! Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom