Best product to pH living organic soil?

pointer80

Hello all, Is it ok to use ph down or ph up to ph living organic soil or will it harm the life in the soil? Or is there something better to use? My water is around 7.5 to 8.0. Thanks everyone.

hmmm, interesting! are you following a recepie?

I am growing outdoors in 100 gallon pots using clackumus coots organic soil mix. I would like to ph my water but I want to use something that will not harm my soil life
The only reason we pH adjust our waters is so that our expensive EDTA chelated nutes break out of their chemical bonds and become available to the plant. If it were not for us using these types of artificial nutrients, we would never have to adjust pH at all, unless we were dealing with water outside of the normal ranges that supports life.

In your coots mix, there is no need to adjust pH. None. Anything you add to do so, will kill off a few microbes. It is not only not necessary, it is shooting yourself in the foot. In those large pots, it should be a breeze to keep things going... I suspect you are over thinking this.

@JimJonesJr @Emilya you guys know anything about this coots soil?
Yes, There are two main branches of organic soils... for the coastal dwellers, coots has become popular... for landlubers, Subcool's mix is easier to get hold of the components. They are both good recipes to do what we do.

The only reason we pH adjust our waters is so that our expensive EDTA chelated nutes break out of their chemical bonds and become available to the plant. If it were not for us using these types of artificial nutrients, we would never have to adjust pH at all, unless we were dealing with water outside of the normal ranges that supports life.

In your coots mix, there is no need to adjust pH. None. Anything you add to do so, will kill off a few microbes. It is not only not necessary, it is shooting yourself in the foot. In those large pots, it should be a breeze to keep things going... I suspect you are over thinking this.

Yes, There are two main branches of organic soils... for the coastal dwellers, coots has become popular... for landlubers, Subcool's mix is easier to get hold of the components. They are both good recipes to do what we do.
Thanks for the reply. I am assuming my water which is anywhere from 7.8 to 8.0 is is in the acceptable range? Thanks.

@JimJonesJr @Emilya you guys know anything about this coots soil?
Not much of a soil guy really. I've done a few grows in it (like right now) but prefer peat mixes if i have to grow in a pot. Emily laid it out for ya. Sounds like a great organic medium.

If your soil is buffered properly with Oyster shell flour, gypsum, worm castings and a strong microbe herd then you shouldn't need to worry about your pH especially if in a large volume of soil.
But to answer your question in case you feel the need to lower your pH in your water the best totally natural way to lower your pH is add Fermented Plant Juice, if you add 1oz of FPJ per gallon of water it will lower your pH from 7.6 down to 6.2-6.3

If your soil is buffered properly with Oyster shell flour, gypsum, worm castings and a strong microbe herd then you shouldn't need to worry about your pH.
But to answer your question in case you feel the need to lower your pH in your water the best totally natural way to lower your pH is add Fermented Plant Juice, if you add 1oz of FPJ per gallon of water it will lower your pH from 7.6 down to 6.2-6.3
I dunno so Im going to ask. What is fermented plant juice? Is that something you make? Sounds like a nice clean way to ph down.

I dunno so Im going to ask. What is fermented plant juice? Is that something you make? Sounds like a nice clean way to ph down.
Well its basically exactly what it sounds like.
My current FPJ is made from Comfrey and Peach.
I have made it before but I bought my current FPJ because I got a great deal on it from Buildasoil when they had it on sale.
This is from their website.

------------
"Derived From: Probiotically Grown Comfrey and Peaches,, Clean Mountain Water, EM-1, Home Made LABS (LactoBacillus Serum), Super Cera Powder, and Molasses. This is then fermented until the comfrey is digested and extracted into the liquid and the molasses consumed by the microbes to lock in the PH for stability and ease of use in the garden.

Why Use?

Comfrey has been used in the garden for ages because of it's ability to mine nutrients from deep in the soil and create special properties that have been highly sought out for it's medicinal benefits and fertilizer benefits.

Here is a known list of the constituents that might be valuable to the gardener using comfrey: Potassium, calcium, chromium, cobalt, copper, magnesium, manganese, boron, zinc and iron. It is high in vegetable protein; in fact, you can get 20 times more protein from an acre of comfrey than you can from the equivalent amount of soybeans. Comfrey is one of the few plants that contain B-12 and is high in vitamin A, plus B-1, B-2, B-3, B-5, B-6, C and E. It has been considered as a potential food source for starving countries due to its protein content and is high in chlorophyll"
------------

A good person to read for info on how to make FPJ and really any Korean Natural Farming techniques is Chris Trump.

sounds like a good way to draw bugs if you ask me... please don't worry about pH in your coots mix... the microbes do not care about your 7-8 pH... not at all.
Thanks for the input. Just curious as to what it is. I'd never heard of it.

Well its basically exactly what it sounds like.
My current FPJ is made from Comfrey and Peach.
I have made it before but I bought my current FPJ because I got a great deal on it from Buildasoil when they had it on sale.
This is from their website.

"
"Derived From: Probiotically Grown Comfrey and Peaches,, Clean Mountain Water, EM-1, Home Made LABS (LactoBacillus Serum), Super Cera Powder, and Molasses. This is then fermented until the comfrey is digested and extracted into the liquid and the molasses consumed by the microbes to lock in the PH for stability and ease of use in the garden.

Why Use?

Comfrey has been used in the garden for ages because of it's ability to mine nutrients from deep in the soil and create special properties that have been highly sought out for it's medicinal benefits and fertilizer benefits.

Here is a known list of the constituents that might be valuable to the gardener using comfrey: Potassium, calcium, chromium, cobalt, copper, magnesium, manganese, boron, zinc and iron. It is high in vegetable protein; in fact, you can get 20 times more protein from an acre of comfrey than you can from the equivalent amount of soybeans. Comfrey is one of the few plants that contain B-12 and is high in vitamin A, plus B-1, B-2, B-3, B-5, B-6, C and E. It has been considered as a potential food source for starving countries due to its protein content and is high in chlorophyll"

A good person to read for info on how to make FPJ and really any Korean Natural Farming techniques is Chris Trump.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing the info.

I am growing outdoors in 100 gallon pots using clackumus coots organic soil mix. I would like to ph my water but I want to use something that will not harm my soil life

With that much soil you should be fine no need to do anything to change pH.

IF you're dead set on getting your water perfect specially if its city water with chlorine you can get a jar of ascorbic acid (vitamin C). My well water in between 9-10pH and I'm indoors in 7.5gal containers Coots mix. I use the vitamin C only need a pinch. Cheap enough WAY cheaper than pH down basically colored water with probably ascorbic acid added. Haven't checked the label lately.

I've added a DI filter to my RO system and it took care of the pH issue for me.

100gal bags you will be fine without adjustment.

Comfrey can be used as a top dress. it will break down into the soil in a few days. KIS just how I do it. Extra goes in the vermi-compost bin.

With that much soil you should be fine no need to do anything to change pH.

IF you're dead set on getting your water perfect specially if its city water with chlorine you can get a jar of ascorbic acid (vitamin C). My well water in between 9-10pH and I'm indoors in 7.5gal containers Coots mix. I use the vitamin C only need a pinch. Cheap enough WAY cheaper than pH down basically colored water with probably ascorbic acid added. Haven't checked the label lately.

I've added a DI filter to my RO system and it took care of the pH issue for me.

100gal bags you will be fine without adjustment.

Comfrey can be used as a top dress. it will break down into the soil in a few days. KIS just how I do it. Extra goes in the vermi-compost bin.
nope, if you guys think it’s fine that’s good enough for me. I think I will order some ascorbic acid just to have it on hand. Also I do have some comfrey growing so that should help. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom