G-1-3 Growing Auto CBD & THC

Could this cause the plant issues I'm seeing? I know people have been covering to tops of the soil SIPs and seeing those feeder roots come right to the very top of the soil. I guess maybe an experiment with covered and uncovered SIPs is in order for my future.
The original SIP, the Earthbox , recommends covering the top. They suggest a plastic cover but part of that is because it was developed in Florida for outdoor growing so the plastic helps keep the rain from washing out the soil.

We're having discussions in Gee's Gee Spot thread relative to top watering and pot moisture if you want to go check it out.

I have noticed that people who mulch or otherwise cover the top of the soil are getting good results with the roots
I mulch my short, 2G buckets with compost and get the fine feeder roots from top to bottom. The shorter pots, and therefore higher relative perched water table, means I don't get that dry top layer. But, even so, I'm having issues which Gee thinks are related to a lack of top watering causing potential dry pockets and an insufficient calcium distribution in the soil.

This has been my observation with sub-irrigation methods. It seems fine for plants that are feeding on salts because the roots convert to water roots and drink from the res. Organics however, seem to suffer in this way. You should follow Gee's thread if you don't already, the G-spot one. He describes the symbiosis of the soil, roots and the micro herd in such a way as to make it simple and understandable and all these things start become clear. So far, people who have been journaling in the SWICK thread have found that top watering is essential, often accompanied by a dose of calmag. The podcast seems consistent with our findings.

I have noticed that people who mulch or otherwise cover the top of the soil are getting good results with the roots.
The original SIP, the Earthbox , recommends covering the top. They suggest a plastic cover but part of that is because it was developed in Florida for outdoor growing so the plastic helps keep the rain from washing out the soil.

We're having discussions in Gee's Gee Spot thread relative to top watering and pot moisture if you want to go check it out.
I'll head over there and check it out. Thanks for the responses.

So the Jack47 is coming down sooner than later probably in the next couple of days. The trichomes are trending towards mostly cloudy with a hint of amber. Only a handful of white hairs and the orange hairs are shriveling. I tried to get some trich shots but I must be too shaky today because they didn't turn out.
PXL_20240528_002127628.jpg

Lower double bud
PXL_20240528_002137832.jpg

Cola double bud
PXL_20240528_002018494.jpg

Cola
PXL_20240528_001920438.jpg

Funny looking yellow spot forming, I louped it to see if it was some from of fungus but it looked normal.
PXL_20240528_001940585.jpg

The White Widow CBD is plugging along fattening up buds. I just love how uniform the plant is. Bud structure is great, full of trichomes and each cola is about 6". I would definitely grow this one again.
PXL_20240528_002054318.jpg
PXL_20240528_002105206.jpg
PXL_20240528_002116908.MP.jpg

The tents filling up and it's time for these autos to finish up anytime they want lol.
PXL_20240528_001846010.jpg

Back
Top Bottom