Herbies Desserts to Sweeten Your Day @ Otters

Perfect timing for this question. I heard a podcast about this so I checked out the study. Any leaf that is not receiving at least 200 ųmols of light won’t perform photosynthesis. It will continue to transpire though. So essentially you have leaves that are sucking up nutrients, and spitting out humidity, but aren’t doing anything for the grow itself, yet.

Now, this gets a bit tricky. Those leaves that aren’t photosynthesizing aren’t necessarily a bad thing. They’re holding a whole bunch of nutrients the plant can call on when it needs more. This is useful deep into flower. However, there’s a line to watch. If your airflow is poor and/or humidity is an issue, it may be more beneficial to trim off anything below 200 ųmols.

Outdoors this isn’t really an issue. The sun will hit any leaf that is exposed to it. Indoors though, with a beefy canopy, a lot of that light won’t penetrate to the container level. If you’re an organic grower, you will likely want to keep as many leaves as possible even if they aren’t photosynthesizing. If you’re using mineral salts, keeping nutrient sinks aren’t as important since you can just dose the plant with whatever it needs when it needs it.

This info gives the grower a standard and a measurement they can use to determine which leaves to take and which to keep instead of guessing.
Great information. Thank you!

Perfect timing for this question. I heard a podcast about this so I checked out the study. Any leaf that is not receiving at least 200 ųmols of light won’t perform photosynthesis. It will continue to transpire though. So essentially you have leaves that are sucking up nutrients, and spitting out humidity, but aren’t doing anything for the grow itself, yet.

Now, this gets a bit tricky. Those leaves that aren’t photosynthesizing aren’t necessarily a bad thing. They’re holding a whole bunch of nutrients the plant can call on when it needs more. This is useful deep into flower. However, there’s a line to watch. If your airflow is poor and/or humidity is an issue, it may be more beneficial to trim off anything below 200 ųmols.

Outdoors this isn’t really an issue. The sun will hit any leaf that is exposed to it. Indoors though, with a beefy canopy, a lot of that light won’t penetrate to the container level. If you’re an organic grower, you will likely want to keep as many leaves as possible even if they aren’t photosynthesizing. If you’re using mineral salts, keeping nutrient sinks aren’t as important since you can just dose the plant with whatever it needs when it needs it.

This info gives the grower a standard and a measurement they can use to determine which leaves to take and which to keep instead of guessing.
That's the kind of info. that makes one think, Keffka! Thanks so much.

However, I was looking forward to taking a stab at answering the "question" you mentioned at the beginning of the post. But there is no question! :Rasta:

That's interesting information Keff! I try to save them and put a fan down low when it gets late in the grow for those bushy ones.

So essentially you have leaves that are sucking up nutrients, and spitting out humidity, but aren’t doing anything for the grow itself
They still intake CO2. More leaves equals more carbon and a healthy plant is 45% carbon in a dry weight measurement, so less carbon intake means less plant.

The plant will regulate and balance this, but the end result is lower carbon intake.... lower yield. The yield is directly proportionate to CO2 intake.

So if a plant intakes 1 pound of carbon (just an example, not a real number), it will weight 2.2 pounds dried, if a plant intakes .5 pounds of carbon it will weigh 1.1 pounds dry. Everything else, O2, minerals, etc all balance out into ratio around available carbon, so now you can see how leaves help up yield and why CO2 supplementation ups yield.

I chuckle when I see heavy defol mixed with CO2 supplementation.

It's like using racing fuel in your car but having a throttle governor installed too.

They still intake CO2. More leaves equals more carbon and a healthy plant is 45% carbon in a dry weight measurement, so less carbon intake means less plant.

The plant will regulate and balance this, but the end result is lower carbon intake.... lower yield. The yield is directly proportionate to CO2 intake.

So if a plant intakes 1 pound of carbon (just an example, not a real number), it will weight 2.2 pounds dried, if a plant intakes .5 pounds of carbon it will weigh 1.1 pounds dry. Everything else, O2, minerals, etc all balance out into ratio around available carbon, so now you can see how leaves help up yield and why CO2 supplementation ups yield.

I chuckle when I see heavy defol mixed with CO2 supplementation.

It's like using racing fuel in your car but having a throttle governor installed too.

Correct about carbon intake. However, that’s why I mentioned balancing the line. If those leaves are causing drastically reduced airflow and high humidity issues, not even carbon is getting taken in because as we know, the plant is basically suffocating.

Balance. For folks wondering now, well wait, I want more yield. It’s all about balance in everything we do. What that means here specifically is, don’t go wild. You don’t need to trim the entire bottom third, or leave only cola leaves. You also don’t have to be scared and trim only one or two leaves.

Strike a balance. Look at your environment and your measurements. Do you have good air flow, a handle on humidity, powerful lights, and co2? You should probably keep as many leaves as you possibly can. You won’t see much, if any benefit, and very likely will harm your final yield by reducing the plants abilities.

Are you struggling with humidity? Is air flow poor in any spots of the room? Do you have a small 2x2 light that doesn’t heat the room at all? Do you struggle with PM, bud rot, or any other sort of mold/fungus?
That may be a good candidate for some defoliation.

Now when I talk about photosynthesizing leaves, I’m not talking about growing tips. Even if you leave all of your leaves on your plants, you should still be reducing your growing tips. Every growing tip on a plant reduces its calcium efficiency, while taking resources that could be used in an area with better light coverage. These lower and extra tips produce the larf that many growers dislike. You can remove the growing tip at the base of the node while leaving the leaves themselves.

If you’re outdoors, in the ground, a lot of this is negated by the sun and natures ecosystems. If you’re indoors, or in containers, and especially both, then a lot of this is the difference between consistent big quality yields and hit and miss grows.

That's interesting information Keff! I try to save them and put a fan down low when it gets late in the grow for those bushy ones.

Yep I try to do the same. I prefer to have an oscillating fan down low going across the tops of the soil if there are still leaves there. If I’ve removed the leaves then a stationary fan will work well. Just something to keep the air flowing. You can fight off most molds and fungus with good airflow, even if you’re battling humidity problems. RH often reaches 60+ in my room all through flower, and I don’t have mold, fungus or rot issues with my plants because of the good air flow.

Correct about carbon intake. However, that’s why I mentioned balancing the line. If those leaves are causing drastically reduced airflow and high humidity issues, not even carbon is getting taken in because as we know, the plant is basically suffocating.
Very true, but thats an airflow problem not a leaf problem. Correct the airflow and you can keep the leaf.
You can remove the growing tip at the base of the node while leaving the leaves themselves.
Bingo Buddy👍👊. Stop the nute drain and keep the solar power/deficiency shields.
If you’re outdoors, in the ground, a lot of this is negated by the sun and natures ecosystems. If you’re indoors, or in containers, and especially both, then a lot of this is the difference between consistent big quality yields and hit and miss grows.
Yes, outdoors in a cannabis friendly region and the plant is fine without us.

Fun fact: If a leaf is too shaded and it can't turn a profit for the plant, as in it requires more effort to keep it than what it contributes, the plant will suck it dry, relocate the stored nutes, and self prune it.

If a leaf is "in the way" simply crunch the petiole just like supercropping, and bend it to where you want it. It will stay there forever.

Removing growing tips, as in side branches, like Keff states, thats a great way to increase cola size. Just leave the fans at the branch base.

If a deficiency hits it will likely start cannabalizing from the bottom up. In organics it takes roughly 2 weeks to correct and that usually devours 4 sets of leaves so if you stripped everything below the bud sites, you lose 4 sets of leaves on the colas instead, and yield gets effected.

SOME OF THESE ARE STRETCHING AND SOME NOT SO MUCH UPDATE

Man they're on the move and making buds! Day 12 since flip.
Apple Betty's are still opposite though they resemble one another. One tall and all over the place, the other just as full but short and to herself. The tall one grew right into the light! I'm going to make a change in height on shorty soon as I can trim them. I'll brimg her up to her sister's height so I can light them easier.

This Banana Pudding! I'm having a lot of fun watching this one! She's not done anything I asked, and done it perfectly! Yep her way is the perfect way as far as having a round shape and flat top in my garden! She's such a weirdo!

Onto Mango Mousse! She's another one that's grown unlike my wishes and is turning into a beauty! I need to spend some time back there.

I raised the power bar about a foot. I think I need to get it out of that place next grow. That's real estate for plants!

Have the best day

Apple Betty's are still opposite though they resemble one another. One tall and all over the place, the other just as full but short and to herself. The tall one grew right into the light! I'm going to make a change in height on shorty soon as I can trim them. I'll brimg her up to her sister's height so I can light them easier.

This Banana Pudding! I'm having a lot of fun watching this one! She's not done anything I asked, and done it perfectly! Yep her way is the perfect way as far as having a round shape and flat top in my garden! She's such a weirdo!

Onto Mango Mousse! She's another one that's grown unlike my wishes and is turning into a beauty! I need to spend some time back there.

I raised the power bar about a foot. I think I need to get it out of that place next grow. That's real estate for plants!

Have the best day
Beauties :love:

Have the best day
That is one gorgeous garden. They all look perfect! :green_heart: :green_heart:

Looking good in there Stone!

Those ABs are so different and so alike! :Rasta:

Highya SO,

Stunning ladies!! As others have noted, they're perfect! No blemish! Happy! What more can be said?!? Hard to believe your grows are getting better! So nice to look at those pretty ladies! Happy Smokin'

Highya SO,

Stunning ladies!! As others have noted, they're perfect! No blemish! Happy! What more can be said?!? Hard to believe your grows are getting better! So nice to look at those pretty ladies! Happy Smokin'
Morning Bode, you're up early :)

Looking good in there Stone!

Those ABs are so different and so alike! :Rasta:
This is fun to watch! Every day I'm ready for a surprise and get one!
Looks amazing that's cool. :thumb: 🍋
Thanks! They're starting to take shape!
Looking good there!! Going to be a great harvest for you by the looks of it. They all look nice and happy!
I wasn't thinking this could be one of my better harvests in terms of weight however I got fooled again! These plants never cease to amaze me!
Me too Otter, I'm checking my post box everyday and planning for 1 June ATB= :)
That's my goal for the outdoor grow too! I'm having trouble getting a second player. Pineapple chunk had 2 duds so I gave up and switched to Chem 91. Let's hope!

Apple Betty up, and a Chem 91hopefully soon!

They're gorgeous and it looks like your cal mag timing change was perfect!
Thanks! They just need it every day I guess. That and keeping the light down compared to my past practice! DLI for the win!
Highya SO,

Thanks Bode! Bud building time is the best! Another week and I can trim them up for the finish!

Back
Top Bottom