New Grower, planning my new grow space

Ok.......Can i want one of these fans just cause its so flippin cool !!!!

So, the real quality about this fan is, dialing down the speed and the motor not loading up, and its ability to “pull” air, unlike a booster fan that does litttle more than spin Lol

I looked up quickly this 6” filter, is this the type i’ll be using
51aN65qJQgL._AC_.jpg

6 Inch Inline Fan Carbon Filter with Reversible Flange Odor Control Activated Charcoal Filter

If your filter is in the tent, you can easily adapt to what's available at the time. You may need an expander to use an oversize filter if no direct replacement is available, but it's no big deal.

Where I'm boxing up the filter outside the tent, I have to account for this in advance, or risk having to build a new enclosure. I looked at what's available, and decided to build the box to handle an 6" or 8" filter from 16" to 24" long. It's an attempt at 'future proofing' my design. ;)

If your filter is in the tent, you can easily adapt to what's available at the time. You may need an expander to use an oversize filter if no direct replacement is available, but it's no big deal.

Where I'm boxing up the filter outside the tent, I have to account for this in advance, or risk having to build a new enclosure. I looked at what's available, and decided to build the box to handle an 6" or 8" filter from 16" to 24" long. It's an attempt at 'future proofing' my design. ;)

Sounds like a plan, nothing better than options. As long as the filter can handle the fan volume my guess ?

Having a filter outside the tent gives ya more height too inside the tent.....

Sounds like a plan, nothing better than options. As long as the filter can handle the fan volume my guess ?
Yes, my fan is rated at 347 CFM, the 6" X 16" filter is rated for 304 CFM. The filter too small for the full power of the fan, but will be OK at lower speeds. The 6" X 20" would be the recommended size at 441CFM. Bigger is better for the filters, as the air will move more slowly through the charcoal, making it more effective.

Having a filter outside the tent gives ya more height too inside the tent.....
Yes, this is where I first got the idea. My 5' tall tent was not tall enough for the light, pots, and growth, let alone adding the filter. The other advantage is that multiple tents can share the same filter/fan/silencer/exhaust ducting. This is more cost efficient, both for initial acquisition, and operational costs.

Yes, my fan is rated at 347 CFM, the 6" X 16" filter is rated for 304 CFM. The filter too small for the full power of the fan, but will be OK at lower speeds. The 6" X 20" would be the recommended size at 441CFM. Bigger is better for the filters, as the air will move more slowly through the charcoal, making it more effective.

Yes, this is where I first got the idea. My 5' tall tent was not tall enough for the light, pots, and growth, let alone adding the filter. The other advantage is that multiple tents can share the same filter/fan/silencer/exhaust ducting. This is more cost efficient, both for initial acquisition, and operational costs.

Looks like a filter build outside the tent allows some more room inside, nice.

Can we talk a little more about lites, is there a somewhat average distance from “lite to canopy” for LED’s or is that too vague of a question when trying to get an idea of how much height i will need. Also “lite to inside rooftop” equipment heat issues between the LED panel and the roof of the tent, i’ve seen fans in the lite tops ect......

I keep at least 6" (15cm) between the top of the tent and a 300W (actual) light. You need room for air circulation.

There's a beam width for the LED lights, usually 90°. Because of this, I like to have the edge of the light to the tent wall about the same as the height of the light above the canopy. So if you have a 12" X 18" light in a 2' X 4' tent the calculation is (48" - 18") / 2 or 15".

You can harvest as much from a 5' X 5' tent by training and controlling growth as you can from a 10' X 10' tent with uncontrolled growth. Add a 2' X 4' or 4' X 4' tent for veg/clone, and you're ahead of the game with lower setup costs, and lower operational costs.
true, this is why I stick to 2 plants in my grow room, although I have been contemplating on the sea of green method with many strains for breeding will have to wait and see if I get any males on my seedlings

There's a beam width for the LED lights, usually 90°. Because of this, I like to have the edge of the light to the tent wall about the same as the height of the light above the canopy. So if you have a 12" X 18" light in a 2' X 4' tent the calculation is (48" - 18") / 2 or 15".

Hmm, i dont follow... i get the 6” above for circulation, i got the beam width of 90°, i think i got the light at the tent wall.....the rest lost me

How’s it going 70s I am from the UK but used to live in NYC for four and a half years I recon you will need a hps light for winter grows.The winters can be fucking bitter there and in a basement temps will be cold the hps will heat the tent when your light is on to save you paying on a heater to be on as they can run more watts than the light. Summer you will need a dehumidifier as it’s hot and humid as fuck there.
As for a light I would choose an aircooled 600watt for a 4x4 tent with the glass bottom off in the winter and on in the summer with a fan blowing the hot air out of the tent.
I would look on eBay for a used sun system block buster with a 6 inch outlets with a decent electronic ballast Lumatek are good to keep starting costs down.
Do not be fooled on these light fixtures as most people would say they are hardly state of the art but they extremely very good in that size space and ease of use for a newbie I know as I have tried lots of light fixtures double ended hps,very high priced LEDs, wing types, probably about ten different lights chasing the best but my old block busters I can consistently get 18 to 20 ozs out of that size space depending on strains I know this might not be the case for you as you are new to the game but trussed me they work.
I hope this helps you in your new venture and good luck with it all, cheers.

Summer you will need a dehumidifier as it’s hot and humid as fuck there.
You can work around this, and even make it work for you. Start a grow in July or August when the humidity goes up. The plants can tolerate it during the vegetative phase. At harvest time in November or December the humidity will have dropped, as you want the humidity below 50% for the final ripening. Start a second grow in December or January to finish before the high humidity strikes again.

Go tent / tents. You can then have easy flexibility as regards the number and size of the different spaces you want to do more, or different things. Also, its gets the primary structure in place easily and you can focus resources on grow media, watering setup, light setup and ducting / airflow. Probably wont cost any more (or maybe less) than doing a DYI renovation of a room for growing??

Hmm, i dont follow... i get the 6” above for circulation, i got the beam width of 90°, i think i got the light at the tent wall.....the rest lost me

I had to create a graphic to show my reasoning...
full

Go tent / tents. You can then have easy flexibility as regards the number and size of the different spaces you want to do more, or different things. Also, its gets the primary structure in place easily and you can focus resources on grow media, watering setup, light setup and ducting / airflow. Probably wont cost any more (or maybe less) than doing a DYI renovation of a room for growing??

I’ve been watching some utube reviews to see the tents assembled ect, this is so damn cool, im just waiting for budget money to accumulate and UncleAndrew to propose his wishes, and then...... let the fun begin !!!

Wait one damn minute Mr !!!! Yes, i use (4) of em, in sealed boxes :0)
I’ve had them for almost 15yrs

hahah OMG! you are the only person i have ever known that knows who Adire is other than me and a buddy! I use 2 Tempests (the big dogs before the tumults) in an infinite baffle in my bedroom (box screwed directly into the studs with a 15" tempest on either side of the box, rear of the speakers hanging into the closet) Adire was just beyond amazing, i never heard the tumults but they are just artwork to look at :)

P.S. and yeah mine are right around 20 years now.. work as good as day 1.

Back
Top Bottom