Northern Lights Auto: Budget LED & First Grow

I have found that there are certain things you can be cheap with and others you are better off spending the extra money. I've found that you don't want to cut the corners and be cheap with lighting, exhaust/temp control, seed genetics, and nutrients. By cutting corners and being cheap I mean not just purchasing cheap hardware. I'm referring to the people that half rig up their operations thinking that they will get the results they see on the 420.com creme de la creme contest winners. It's a shat bag mentality that sets you up for disappointment and sometimes irreparable damages. Trust me I am guilty of it and I ain't ashamed. Grow and learn I suppose. It looks like your doing all the right stuff to make sure your not setting yourself up for disappointment. Giod stuff man!!

I have found that there are certain things you can be cheap with and others you are better off spending the extra money. I've found that you don't want to cut the corners and be cheap with lighting, exhaust/temp control, seed genetics, and nutrients. By cutting corners and being cheap I mean not just purchasing cheap hardware. I'm referring to the people that half rig up their operations thinking that they will get the results they see on the 420.com creme de la creme contest winners. It's a shat bag mentality that sets you up for disappointment and sometimes irreparable damages. Trust me I am guilty of it and I ain't ashamed. Grow and learn I suppose. It looks like your doing all the right stuff to make sure your not setting yourself up for disappointment. Giod stuff man!!

Lol, I have made a few mistakes that stunted my plants, live and learn... I know at some point my grows will be respectable, keep failing forward.

Day 47: Sick burn...

Well... My bump in nutrients according to AN's mobile app was a bad idea. The increase of nutes and adding "Big Bud" into the mix did show a ton of bud growth, but also seemed to harm it.

Here's a pic of the burn:

IMG_009362.JPG

And... here's a pic of the fatter bud...

IMG_009180.JPG

Peterson:
IMG_008972.JPG

Moss:
IMG_009067.JPG

Favre:
IMG_009277.JPG

I need to do some reading on PPM, does anyone have a good source?

:Namaste:
:420:

Day 47: Sick burn...

Well... My bump in nutrients according to AN's mobile app was a bad idea. The increase of nutes and adding "Big Bud" into the mix did show a ton of bud growth, but also seemed to harm it.

I need to do some reading on PPM, does anyone have a good source?

:Namaste:
:420:

Nutes in soil can go bad in a hurry if you're not careful. I dilute 2L at a time with HOG using their chart.

We're talking only 7ml of bloom in flowering per 2L.

In hydro from what I understand you can make changes on the fly if you see a negative reaction.

I use a paper PH strip to test my water and use vinegar or baking soda to lower and raise the PH respectively.

I use a dual metal tester for Ph and moisture. I'm not going for world record growth here but I also want to have an idea what's going on too.

One thing I've learned- PH is key. It's the difference between your plant eating while maximizing nutrient uptake- and it starving itself.

Nutes in soil can go bad in a hurry if you're not careful. I dilute 2L at a time with HOG using their chart.

We're talking only 7ml of bloom in flowering per 2L.

In hydro from what I understand you can make changes on the fly if you see a negative reaction.

I use a paper PH strip to test my water and use vinegar or baking soda to lower and raise the PH respectively.

I use a dual metal tester for Ph and moisture. I'm not going for world record growth here but I also want to have an idea what's going on too.

One thing I've learned- PH is key. It's the difference between your plant eating while maximizing nutrient uptake- and it starving itself.

397d1036afa6a0e2014c012b2ebf13d1.jpg
I was using the AN mobile app and all their recommendations, I even called their grower support for clarification.

My tap water comes out at 41 ppm, but after I mixed their recommended amounts the ppm was over 2400. I have since dialed it back to half the recommended amounts which lowered my ppm to about 1250.

As for pH, I ordered a pen and when it got it here it was faulty. I have since reordered a pen and pH kit. I use the exactly strips you do, and my pH is 5.8. I also use pH perfect nutes, but a few readers have said theirs were far from properly ph'd.

I appreciate the info, and ph is certainly on my to do list, but right now I'm a but handcuffed.

I was using the AN mobile app and all their recommendations, I even called their grower support for clarification.

My tap water comes out at 41 ppm, but after I mixed their recommended amounts the ppm was over 2400. I have since dialed it back to half the recommended amounts which lowered my ppm to about 1250.

As for pH, I ordered a pen and when it got it here it was faulty. I have since reordered a pen and pH kit. I use the exactly strips you do, and my pH is 5.8. I also use pH perfect nutes, but a few readers have said theirs were far from properly ph'd.

I appreciate the info, and ph is certainly on my to do list, but right now I'm a but handcuffed.

Flush it with water. If you have goooooood drainage. If not- just keep fresh water till it recovers. These guys are resilient. Like kids.

And I feel your pain. I burnt one crop to shit because I got a little carried away with the tomato fertilizer LOL.

From then on- I’ve followed easy directions and my last harvest was a huge success vs the other 4 LOL

I'm feeling lucky that i caught it early, and my next feeding was scheduled as a pure water soak anyway, it might be good timing on the long run. After my pure water soak I will comeback with half strength nutes to see how it reacts.

I appreciate the input!

I just got done making the same mistake... my resolution was less nutes and more frequent water changes. I run a DWC so it's different than yours but less is more as west coast said. My mind thought that because they were growing and demanding more nutes I would increase them so the plant didn't fall short on nutes near the end of my 2 week water change period. Makes sense right? Well I nute burnt them and it's because I didn't see the other side of the coin till about a week ago. I didn't see that every day those roots were in the higher nutes, and not using them, they were getting burnt because the solution was so strong. I was exposing the roots to way more harm that good because it wouldn't be till the last couple days of my 2 week water change period that the plants would need the nutes ideas adding. So I decided I needed less nutes and more frequent water changes. This way they don't get hungry and they don't get burnt. I hope this helps someone so they don't think they way I did. :Namaste:

I just got done making the same mistake... my resolution was less nutes and more frequent water changes. I run a DWC so it's different than yours but less is more as west coast said. My mind thought that because they were growing and demanding more nutes I would increase them so the plant didn't fall short on nutes near the end of my 2 week water change period. Makes sense right? Well I nute burnt them and it's because I didn't see the other side of the coin till about a week ago. I didn't see that every day those roots were in the higher nutes, and not using them, they were getting burnt because the solution was so strong. I was exposing the roots to way more harm that good because it wouldn't be till the last couple days of my 2 week water change period that the plants would need the nutes ideas adding. So I decided I needed less nutes and more frequent water changes. This way they don't get hungry and they don't get burnt. I hope this helps someone so they don't think they way I did. :Namaste:

It's funny we buy these nutes, they're expensive, yet we can't be happy we're using less. I was excited to start using nutes, and seeing the recommended amounts grow, but I should have been more focused on the plants.

Ah well some mistakes we need to learn first hand I suppose.

It's all good homie. I really did a number on my plants but I seem to have kept the wheels on. I am harvesting a little about every other day right now. All 50 are successful In some way or another. I've only got about 26grams total off 12 plants. I harvested 5 in my first selection and ended up with a measley 5.3grams dried and cured. I did cut the weakest and smallest ones. These ended up being the most stunted, smallest, but matured the fastest. My second selection I picked my biggest most mature ones and ended up with 12 grams dried cured off 2 plants. So it is give and take. It's my first time and the reason I started with 50 was so i could maximize my learning in one or 2 grows. I wantes to see the same genetic strain spread 50 different ways. When I do this you can really see the spectrum associated with this strain (purple express auto fem).

It's all good homie. I really did a number on my plants but I seem to have kept the wheels on. I am harvesting a little about every other day right now. All 50 are successful In some way or another. I've only got about 26grams total off 12 plants. I harvested 5 in my first selection and ended up with a measley 5.3grams dried and cured. I did cut the weakest and smallest ones. These ended up being the most stunted, smallest, but matured the fastest. My second selection I picked my biggest most mature ones and ended up with 12 grams dried cured off 2 plants. So it is give and take. It's my first time and the reason I started with 50 was so i could maximize my learning in one or 2 grows. I wantes to see the same genetic strain spread 50 different ways. When I do this you can really see the spectrum associated with this strain (purple express auto fem).

That's awesome, I really don't care a ton about the amount I will get off my first grow. Like you said the learning has been pretty rewarding in and of itself.

With that being said, there will be something pretty amazing about smoking my first bowl of my first grow... I excited to have that moment and soak in the whole journey.

That's awesome, I really don't care a ton about the amount I will get off my first grow. Like you said the learning has been pretty rewarding in and of itself.

With that being said, there will be something pretty amazing about smoking my first bowl of my first grow... I excited to have that moment and soak in the whole journey.

I am with you. I am really excited to smoke the stuff i grew myself. That will hopefully be rewarding.

Back
Top Bottom