The past 3 Days in the Life of my girls in SIPS, from the time of watering, 12 hours post watering and 36 hours post watering.

I'd say they like em friends....the growth rates are incredible in these babies

Beautiful, Krissi!

Maybe we should change things up and put out a call for anyone growing in a SIP with poor results. Probably be like the Maytag Repairman waiting for something to show up. :laughtwo:

Seriously I've never seen a poorly grown plant in one of these things, with the exception of a newly transplanted seed or clone that is in the adjustment period. Those have the overwatered look for a couple weeks or so, but after that? Oh man, they really like this set-up.

Maybe we should change things up and put out a call for anyone growing in a SIP with poor results. Probably be like the Maytag Repairman waiting for something to show up. :laughtwo:
Genius. We shall call ourselves the SIPBUSTERS and we will have the easiest repair/saving job EVER.
Seriously I've never seen a poorly grown plant in one of these things, with the exception of a newly transplanted seed or clone that is in the adjustment period. Those have the overwatered look for a couple weeks or so, but after that? Oh man, they really like this set-up.
I have yet to go SIP as a first vessel. I think for the reasons above, I just enjoy starting in my small pots. They are only there for a teeny bit of time. Gives those building SIPS as you go time to do so lol

Once they hit these pots at Day 13 (usually its 10 days), it has been absolutely magnificent to watch them grow. I so wish I had a time lapse camera in the tents. Just really really do!

These big girls only vegged for 40 days before I had to flip them because of their size. They were flipped into these pots at Day 9.They had outgrown the 3gl pots by Day 28, this is them the last 2 days in their 5gl final homes

....and these were them at Day 24, same as my younger girls now.

EVERY PLANT CAN BENEFIT.

There are 2 photos and an auto in this tent.

20220912_163921.jpg

At 73 Days old 23 Days of Flower, it's hard to see in here

SIPS for life!

Yeah, ok let's go with that. :laughtwo:
Honestly! I just felt like Austin Powers saying honestly just then but anyway....honestly :rofl: 🤷‍♀️ I can't stop. Gelato-K is a funny strain lol

Anywaaaay, I don't! I use a good light, some amendments that I think compliment my soil and the plants well throughout their lifecycle. I feed em the good stuff at the right times in the best buckets, give em booster shots, a little center defol, bottom de-fan, a little droughting, a lot of love. That's it. :morenutes:

Honestly! I just felt like Austin Powers saying honestly just then but anyway....honestly :rofl: 🤷‍♀️ I can't stop. Gelato-K is a funny strain lol

Anywaaaay, I don't! I use 1. a good light, 2. some amendments that I think compliment my soil and the plants well throughout their lifecycle. I 3. feed em the good stuff at the right times in 4. the best buckets, 5. give em booster shots, 6. a little center defol, 7. bottom de-fan, 8. a little droughting, 9. a lot of love. That's it. :morenutes:
Ok, I count 9 things on your list. That's more than just watchin' 'em grow.

But then again the love you give them shows thru. :thumb:

Ok, I count 9 things on your list. That's more than just watchin' 'em grow.

But then again the love you give them shows thru. :thumb:
9 happens to be my favorite number! It was my soccer # all through my years and I'm born on the 18th and the house I grew up in in Staten Island was #9 and the house I grew up in was #33 (3×3=9).

Weird. Anyway. Must be the weed today. My apologies :rofl: :passitleft:

Genius. We shall call ourselves the SIPBUSTERS and we will have the easiest repair/saving job EVER.

I have yet to go SIP as a first vessel. I think for the reasons above, I just enjoy starting in my small pots. They are only there for a teeny bit of time. Gives those building SIPS as you go time to do so lol

Once they hit these pots at Day 13 (usually its 10 days), it has been absolutely magnificent to watch them grow. I so wish I had a time lapse camera in the tents. Just really really do!

These big girls only vegged for 40 days before I had to flip them because of their size. They were flipped into these pots at Day 9.They had outgrown the 3gl pots by Day 28, this is them the last 2 days in their 5gl final homes

....and these were them at Day 24, same as my younger girls now.

EVERY PLANT CAN BENEFIT.

There are 2 photos and an auto in this tent.

20220912_163921.jpg

At 73 Days old 23 Days of Flower, it's hard to see in here

SIPS for life!
Yer making me want to join the Sips Club, where’s the link 4 DIYers? CL🍀

Why did I just see this weird light's pic? That's weird. What else you got over there? I doubt that has any true wattage past 50 unfortunately
Hi @Krissi Carbone ! I am just now catching up after Sabbath.
I mean I do too.
I love the chocolate-y flavor. (I can't imagine a grow without it.)
I just don't know how super soil works and I don't want you toughening it up too much. Maybe start with 20% and then you can move up? You can always add some more and do toppings with them once a month like I do. I call them my kids booster shots
Yeah, supersoil is basically just soil with organic fertilizers mixed in, and then cook for 2-3 months.
Because of the fertilizer, it is too hot for babies, so you have to start them in regular soil. But from there you can at water with plain water (which makes it great for gifts).

I love the dark chocolatey flavor of wc, but I think it maybe limits aeration, because the fines fill up the air gaps.
And then the plants cannot breathe... (which I think was one of my problems before).

I took my supersoil with extra worm castings and did a quick "tilth test" or "crush test" with it DAMP, and it sat there like a lump! (It did not even think about opening up.)
So then I cut 50-50 with the rice hulls, and now it baarely falls open moist after a crush test (i.e., just barely passes). So I am hoping that will help a lot.

My current best practices for running my 10 outdoor veggie SIPs for two years, and my current indoor 420 run, is to either plant seed directly into a SIP that has a 1/4-1/3-full SIP reservoir, or start in a small grow bag first. To direct-sew water seed in once, but only once as this reduces overall moisture level but preserves the moisture gradient, and do not refill reservoir past 1/3 full at least before Nodes 3 -5 have grown. A cloche can be deployed if you struggle to maintain above 65% RH around your large pots. I prevent seedling stretch by having a bright light up in their faces at moment they break soil, but, for this and for other reasons listed below, I do not direct-sew cannabis but rather have developed a SIP-hybrid seedling program I follow.

This is my go-to, most recommended method: I plant germ'd seed into a perforated, non-woven, cloth nursery bag about 4-5 inch diameter and 8 inches deep (you can customize depth by folding down the edge or cutting). Placed in a cup or bowls these can be lightly bottom watered to establish a moisture gradient from day one to ensure a plant's hydrotropic root development response immediately (this simply means that a plant chooses different root types and layouts based on the moisture level at various depths, just as it does in nature where moisture gradients are the norm). This, smaller, "pot" size gives you much more finite control over this moisture gradient and can make it easier to temporarily place your seedlings in ideal high-RH environments if your veg space struggles.

As a breathable cloth pot, these 'mini-smart pots' encourage dendritic root formation - that is, air pruning and subsequent branching off from the pruned root by a new root, as opposed to the constant curling and wrapping undertaken when they meet the plastic borderline of a traditional pot.This has been scientifically been shown to improve plant health, reduce veg times and increase yields. I like how easily this setup can be bottom watered, allowing the plant to take advantage of its genetic disposition favouring a moisture gradient between the pot's wetter bottom and the soil's drier surface, preventing the necessity of growing a root 'ball' with feast or famine traditional container grow methods.
F2CEEDE0-A019-4739-BB18-081F867F5676.jpeg

After 3-5 nodes exist, drop the seedling, still in the perforated cloth bag, into ready-made hole in SIP with the reservoir filled no more than 1/2, preferably 1/3 only but if your res is small and you fear it emptying and dry-out before you can next water, a little extra over 1/3 full should be ok. We want the plant to recognize the moisture gradient of our SIP and such gradients are more pronounced and noticeable to young roots when the reservoir is initially kept under 1/2 full. This is only for a few days to a week. I add my mycs, frass, and fulvic acid, all activated with sprayable beneficial microbes, at the time of transplant. I renew the bennies and fulvic weekly with a small drench two weeks after transplant and every week hence. In my personal experience this has worked better, leading to a larger plant, more quickly than either direct sewing or traditionally watered (draught'n'drown) seedlings.
Hey @ReservoirDog , those sacks look brilliant. Only, do you know what material they are made of? Thanks!

Mind if I tag along @Azimuth

I won't be starting until March / April time frame, but I have an Earthbox I bought a couple years ago and still haven't used it. I had forgotten about it until read the intro's today. I was going to try growing soon tomatoes over the winter, but never got around to it.

The Earthbox I have is about 29" D x 13.5" W x 11" H and I believe I can get a sizable lady in it.

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,
Tok..
@Tokin Roll , please let us know how it works out!

Thanks Columbiano!!! I'm always late so no worries at all respond whenever you can.

So idk if we want to have the pity party for me now or later but it seems I missed my window of purchasing my favorite pots at the Home Depot :bong:

The pots I had to get and the only 4 pots they had left (meaning I had to pull the 2 other of the same pots from my garden and I'm only left with 2 of my favorite pots) are about an inch and a half less wide and I'm guessing 4.25gl and not 5. This particular brand is shaped a little differently, doesn't tell you the exact size and doesn't have the drainage I like. Ugh.

So I had to get out the drill and drill some darn drainage holes and now I'm just going to have to deal with having smaller vessels. I guess that's ok since I'm packing it in the tents this grow.

I also found some self feed contraptions for the fabric pot user via Infinity

Screenshot_20221029_141138.jpg

But anyway..here is what I had to get and do today to prepare for up pot.
20221029_200935.jpg
20221029_200758.jpg
20221029_200851.jpg

20221029_202922.jpg
20221029_202608.jpg

I'm so disappointed in myself, I said to myself weeks ago to buy these earlier. It's ok, they will still do the trick. You can see how they lack the separation triangles as well...pity party :party::passitleft:

Thanks Columbiano!!! I'm always late so no worries at all respond whenever you can.

So idk if we want to have the pity party for me now or later but it seems I missed my window of purchasing my favorite pots at the Home Depot :bong:

The pots I had to get and the only 4 pots they had left (meaning I had to pull the 2 other of the same pots from my garden and I'm only left with 2 of my favorite pots) are about an inch and a half less wide and I'm guessing 4.25gl and not 5. This particular brand is shaped a little differently, doesn't tell you the exact size and doesn't have the drainage I like. Ugh.

So I had to get out the drill and drill some darn drainage holes and now I'm just going to have to deal with having smaller vessels. I guess that's ok since I'm packing it in the tents this grow.

But anyway..here is what I had to get and do today to prepare for up pot.
20221029_200935.jpg
20221029_200758.jpg
20221029_200851.jpg

20221029_202922.jpg
20221029_202608.jpg

I'm so disappointed in myself, I said to myself weeks ago to buy these earlier. It's ok, they will still do the trick. You can see how they lack the separation triangles as well...pity party :party::passitleft:
Ooohhhh, a SWICK setup!
EDIT: (Thanks for showing those! I just bought them. I was wanting to try SWICK!)
Bummer deal about your pot sizes. Are you able to ask for a rain check? Big box stores are usually pretty good with customer service (which is generally why they get to be so big...)

Sorry about missing the sale! Here's some of that good spliff you loaned me earlier....
It is a blueberry mix, in case you have the blues (and some seedlings to put in your SIPs!)....
:passitleft:🌱🌱🌱🌱

Ooohhhh, a SWICK setup!
I peed myself some when I read that. Damn post baby crap and this sativa weed...you so had me at swick set up. Thank God I just packed an Indica bowl I gotta come back to earth before the day is done
(I may have to try those! I was wanting to try SWICK!)
Bummer deal about your pot sizes. Are you able to ask for a rain check? Big box stores are usually pretty good with customer service (which is generally why they get to be big...)
Yea these will be ok. It actually isn't too bad, I've ran plenty of stellar plants in these pots before, I'll save the bigger pots for my GGSLH and one other, maybe one of my ZDFs. Also my Blueberry Auto generally wouldn't go into a 5gl so this is a move up for her anyway. See here I go again done answered the question and still rambling....
Here's some of that good spliff you loaned me earlier....
It is a blueberry mix, in case you have the blues, and some seedlings to put in your SIPs!....
:passitleft:🌱🌱🌱🌱
Thank you kindly Sir! Blueberry is one of my favorites! Hence why she is going again right now! :passitleft:

Well, that's a bummer. You can probably order the ones you do want off their website and have them "ship to store" for no shipping fees. Doesn't help your up-pot tomorrow, though. :(

Those look interesting. Do they say how they work? I can't picture how the wicking works.

Well, that's a bummer. You can probably order the ones you do want off their website and have them "ship to store" for no shipping fees. Doesn't help your up-pot tomorrow, though. :(

Those look interesting. Do they say how they work? I can't picture how the wicking works.

If you drill into the reviews on the Yangtzee River you can see a short video review that shows the SWICK.
I bought 4 and will review them when they get here. (Is that OK for the SIP Club? Or do I start a new thread for the SWICK club? Haha.)

1667093151692.png

If you drill into the reviews on the Yangtzee River you can see a short video review that shows the SWICK.
I bought 4 and will review them when they get here. (Is that OK for the SIP Club? Or do I start a new thread for the SWICK club? Haha.)

1667093151692.png
Ah, OK, those are Swicks. That makes more sense. Krissi's probably trying to see if I'm paying attention. :laughtwo:

I'd like to keep this thread to SIPs, but you could start one similar for SWICKs. I don't know much about them but would be happy to learn.

Back
Top Bottom