Soil help

Bababouey

420 Member
Hey so i just got my first seeds here in pakistan but im having trouble with the soil i Ordered some coco and peat moss with worm castings bone meal and compost also perlite will a mix of those work ? There are some localy made liquid fertilizers not sure about those though. And i could also get some bio fertilizer its soil and cow manure also avalible so pls help me out what would be best Outdoor btw

Hey so i just got my first seeds here in pakistan but im having trouble with the soil i Ordered some coco and peat moss with worm castings bone meal and compost also perlite will a mix of those work ? There are some localy made liquid fertilizers not sure about those though. And i could also get some bio fertilizer its soil and cow manure also avalible so pls help me out what would be best Outdoor btw
Good morning @Bababouey Hope your having a good weekend my friend.
Easiest to grow in is soil with some fertilizer mixed in.
If you can't get thar a mixture of what you have , you are putting them in the ground outside right?
Then just get the best fertilizer you have available.
We will help you do the best with what you have available.
But actual soil with some fertilizer is easiest.

Stay safe
Bill

Im actually putting them in a 3 gallon pot so i can just mix coco and peatmoss with some fertilizer like worm castings and thats gonna be enough?

You should check out some of @farside05 journals. I believe he makes his own nutes. Maybe he'll chime in & direct you to the journal.

I make my own soil-less mix and custom blend all my own fertilizer, but those are made with chemical salts. If you're looking for something organic, I'm not the person to answer those types of questions.

I make my own soil-less mix and custom blend all my own fertilizer, but those are made with chemical salts. If you're looking for something organic, I'm not the person to answer those types of questions.
He isn't looking for organic I believe.
He is just limited in availability of nutrients.
Soil isn't my Forte so someone who knows soil nutrients is what we need.
From all recommendations that's you. ;)
Any help would be appreciated.

Stay safe
Bill

He isn't looking for organic I believe.
He is just limited in availability of nutrients.
Soil isn't my Forte so someone who knows soil nutrients is what we need.
From all recommendations that's you. ;)
Any help would be appreciated.

Stay safe
Bill

He was mentioning bone meal, worm castings, and manure, so I'm assuming organic. If he has limited availability to fertilizers or fertilizer components, my area of expertise is of little use. Now if you want to figure out how to take a whole bunch of salts like Ammonium Calcium Nitrate, Potassium Nitrate, Magnesium Nitrate, Potassium Sulfate, Monoammonium Phosphate, Ammonium Sulfate, etc, blend it all together to make a powdered cannabis friendly fertilizer, that you then convert into a concentrated liquid that you dose like a commercial bottled Nute, I'm your guy...lol

He was mentioning bone meal, worm castings, and manure, so I'm assuming organic. If he has limited availability to fertilizers or fertilizer components, my area of expertise is of little use. Now if you want to figure out how to take a whole bunch of salts like Ammonium Calcium Nitrate, Potassium Nitrate, Magnesium Nitrate, Potassium Sulfate, Monoammonium Phosphate, Ammonium Sulfate, etc, blend it all together to make a powdered cannabis friendly fertilizer, that you then convert into a concentrated liquid that you dose like a commercial bottled Nute, I'm your guy...lol
Ok thanks so much @farside05 .
I understand. :Namaste:
Do you know anyone to give him some kind of idea what ratios to mix what he has?

Stay safe
Bill

Hello, welcome to 420, If you are looking for Organic no till type soil mix try Googling "Coot's Mix". Larger pots are best for organic soil in my opinion, like 15 - 20 gallon pots.

Thanks for the help everyone i got some decent sources for nutrients. Now i need help with my soil still dont know what soil i should use i think the stuff i have for my soil should work pretty good just need help with the ratios

Here is Coot"s recipe that I just copied from the interwebs...

Clackamas Coot Soil Mix

By volume mix the following...

1/3 Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss (CSPM)
1/3 Aeration - I use 3/8" pumice (aka volcanic glass - completely inert)
1/3 Vermicompost

When it comes to CSPM it does not matter one iota as far as the brand as long as it's designated as CSPMA (Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss Association) which is a partnership between the handful of authorized harvesters and the Canadian government. CSPMA sets the harvest limit and not market demands.

You should ind this at Home Depot and Lowe's in 3.8 cf bales and if it is not available at your local stores then order it online (HomeDepot.com) and have them 'ship to store' at your store of choice. No charge for shipping and handling!

A cubic foot is about 7.20 gallons or 115 cups...

To this I add the following amendments to each 1 cubic foot..

1 cup kelp meal
1 cup neem meal or an equal amount of neem & karanja mix
1 cup of limestone or more exactly Calcium Carbonate CaCO3 so Oyster Shell Powder/flour can also be used as it is also a pure Calcium Carbonate material
1/2 cup Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) available at all DIY stores but you must get the material in the garden section and not in the home remodel section. There are 2 forms of gypsum so make sure you get the one for soil and not walls...

Finally there is the rock dust which I recommend 3 cups of either basalt or granite. Only these 2 materials are 'paramagnetic' which is an integral part of the CeC discussion (Cation exchange Capacity).

I also add 1 cup of Crustacean meal per cubic foot of soil.

Now if you wanted to make a soil-less mix and then rely on bottled nutes for all your fertilizing needs, using some of the components you already have, you could go:

80% Peat Moss (16 gallons worth)
10% Coco Coir (2 gallons worth)
10% Perlite (2 gallons worth)
And then add 1.25 cups of Dolomite Lime (assuming you're making a 20 gallon batch)

The resulting product would be similar to Pro-Mix Premium Moisture Control.

Now if you wanted to make a soil-less mix and then rely on bottled nutes for all your fertilizing needs, using some of the components you already have, you could go:

80% Peat Moss
10% Coco Coir
10% Perlite
And then add 1.25 cups of Dolomite Lime (assuming you're making a 20 gallon batch)
Cant find dolomite lime here i have a fertilizer which has 20 20 20 on the bottle nitrogen phosphorus and potassium i can use that right ?

Cant find dolomite lime here i have a fertilizer which has 20 20 20 on the bottle nitrogen phosphorus and potassium i can use that right ?
It's not perfect but if it's all you have to start then that's what they get. :rofl:
You can always use your natural fertilizers aswell.
You will keep them fed with what you have no worries.

Stay safe
Bill

i have a fertilizer which has 20 20 20 on the bottle nitrogen phosphorus and potassium i can use that right ?

Read the label. Many of the 20-20-20 products I am aware of (like Jack's) are incomplete fertilizers. The are missing most of the micro nutrients. If that's the case, you'll need to have some other source of them, from your soil or otherwise.

Thanks for letting me know i will have compost in my soil which should provide the rest other than that fish emulsion blodd meal kelp extract epsom salt

Hello @Bababouey ! First I would say you need bigger pot size... 3 gal. is not enough. But of course this depends on how you are growing, and if autoflower or photo plants. If you are outdoor, I would say at least 10 gal. pot. I use 15 gal. smart pot with handles, which are easy to move around. I move plants from a veg greenhouse to a flower greenhouse.

I recommend good quality coco coir (ground up coconut husks) instead of peat moss. Peat moss is acidic, while coco coir is neutral. The coir can be somewhat difficult to acquire, and the lower quality stuff can have too much salt in it. I look at perlite as something to just add some aeration to your mix, but you don't need much.

I use my own custom made soil mixture based on: compost soil, volcanic cinder (mostly black cinder), coconut coir, fresh worm compost from our worm bins, and organic ferts from a company in the U.S. called Down to Earth. The ferts: oyster shell powder, seabird guano, bat guano, dolomite, gypsum, greensand, potassium sulfate. I also add a little biochar if I have some. Of course, all of these in the right ratios.

Back
Top Bottom