Stunger's Last Stand: Banned To The Balcony!

Harvest update - 22oz

Since the balcony plants were given the chop 1 month ago there hasn't been a lot to write about. The plants were hang dried whole, and after 5 days around 120g was trimmed off each plant and made into cobs.

The cobs are still in a ferment phase which they have been in now for about 26 days and will be 'released' from ferment soon and then allowed to age at room temperature. I will carry that out and have a good inspection and try a sample, and once done I will do an update on the cobs.

Seed making

I have yet to go thru the 2 stems of each plant that I attempted to pollinate with some pollen from a male White Widow XTRM x Gorgonzola. It wasn't very promising as the pollen made available to me was just sparse dust stuck to the inside of a plastic bag, it had been very poorly stored with moisture. However, when I started squeezing the Godfather OG buds from the pollinated stems I found a couple of very dark seeds, so some of the pollen was viable, the stems will be at best are only very lightly seeded. I haven't yet gone thru the 2 Godfather OG stems fully to see how many more there are, I don't think there are many, but hey, even half a dozen would be a triumph. Hopefully I will also find some seeds amongst the pollinated stems of the Mango Sherbert and Strawberry Cough.

Yield figures

From each of this year's 3 photo plants I took about 120g (about 4oz) from each which were used to make 2 cobs of each strain. Their cob weights have now reduced to around 100g per plant.

The totals per plant of dried cobs and dried herb after 4 weeks since harvesting are:

Godfather OG 235g
Mango Sherbert 205g
Strawberry Cough 175g
-------
615g
====
This is a better yield than I was expecting when I started this grow, because I did so almost 2 months later than last year and yet it seemed that the plants grew more virulently and almost made up for their later start. Last year I harvested 23oz. This year it is about 22oz.

Although I carried out regular spraying to prevent pests, I was still hit by caterpillars, they especially liked the Godfather OG, perhaps for it's fruitiness, I think I would have got 10oz off her but instead got about 8.4oz. But next grow I intend to double up on my pest prevention spraying!

Here is a pic of the harvest. The top shelf is mostly the White Widow, White Widow x Gorgonzola & Gorilla Glue from last year. The bottom shelf is the Godfather OG, Mango Sherbert & Strawberry Cough from this year. Last year's jars look almost as much as this year's jars, but the bottom shelf also has the 6 vac sealed cobs which weigh 11oz.

Anyway, the updates have dwindled off, but that is the best I can do today. All the best everyone and I hope your day is going well. :ganjamon:

That's a better update than most folks post a month after harvest, so :thanks:

Nice weights too!
Thanks Shed! The weights were more than I had initially imagined.
You write the best summaries, Stunger! :ganjamon:

Congratulations on the excellent harvest and yield!

Is there a smoke report coming???
Thanks Sy. I do intend to make a smoke report but since harvesting and trimming I have made quite the Dyson of myself vacuuming up so many vapcaps of the new bud that I really need to steady myself and start again a little more thoughtfully.
Nice end to a real fun grow Stunger! Thanks for keeping me on the edge of my chair through the grow!
Cheers Otter - thanks for staying on your chair! The grow is over but I still have the cobs to process which represent just under 11oz or half the harvest, I'm really interested in how they turn out. The Godfather OG as you found, is probably the 'hammer' of my grow too.

Great update on a great harvest!
By the looks of last years harvest, you go through the pot about as fast as I do... ;)

Another amazing journey stunger.
Thanks Listers, it's always nice to get to the finish line!
Nice harvest man. Been a good follow.
Thanks Reave, and I'm very interested in your own organic grow with the Coots mix, looking forward to what your appraisal is once harvested.
Great update on a great harvest!
By the looks of last years harvest, you go through the pot about as fast as I do... ;)
Haha it does look that way Carcass! This year's jarred stash would look larger if I hadn't used 11oz to make cobs.
I tend to use a dynavap which is impressively frugal, or chew a nugget with a smidgen of olive oil, but I must sort out making some infusions or tinctures so I can 'move up' from the lesser sophistication of nugget chewing!

Harvest update - 22oz

Since the balcony plants were given the chop 1 month ago there hasn't been a lot to write about. The plants were hang dried whole, and after 5 days around 120g was trimmed off each plant and made into cobs.

The cobs are still in a ferment phase which they have been in now for about 26 days and will be 'released' from ferment soon and then allowed to age at room temperature. I will carry that out and have a good inspection and try a sample, and once done I will do an update on the cobs.

Seed making

I have yet to go thru the 2 stems of each plant that I attempted to pollinate with some pollen from a male White Widow XTRM x Gorgonzola. It wasn't very promising as the pollen made available to me was just sparse dust stuck to the inside of a plastic bag, it had been very poorly stored with moisture. However, when I started squeezing the Godfather OG buds from the pollinated stems I found a couple of very dark seeds, so some of the pollen was viable, the stems will be at best are only very lightly seeded. I haven't yet gone thru the 2 Godfather OG stems fully to see how many more there are, I don't think there are many, but hey, even half a dozen would be a triumph. Hopefully I will also find some seeds amongst the pollinated stems of the Mango Sherbert and Strawberry Cough.

Yield figures

From each of this year's 3 photo plants I took about 120g (about 4oz) from each which were used to make 2 cobs of each strain. Their cob weights have now reduced to around 100g per plant.

The totals per plant of dried cobs and dried herb after 4 weeks since harvesting are:

Godfather OG 235g
Mango Sherbert 205g
Strawberry Cough 175g
-------
615g
====
This is a better yield than I was expecting when I started this grow, because I did so almost 2 months later than last year and yet it seemed that the plants grew more virulently and almost made up for their later start. Last year I harvested 23oz. This year it is about 22oz.

Although I carried out regular spraying to prevent pests, I was still hit by caterpillars, they especially liked the Godfather OG, perhaps for it's fruitiness, I think I would have got 10oz off her but instead got about 8.4oz. But next grow I intend to double up on my pest prevention spraying!

Here is a pic of the harvest. The top shelf is mostly the White Widow, White Widow x Gorgonzola & Gorilla Glue from last year. The bottom shelf is the Godfather OG, Mango Sherbert & Strawberry Cough from this year. Last year's jars look almost as much as this year's jars, but the bottom shelf also has the 6 vac sealed cobs which weigh 11oz.

Anyway, the updates have dwindled off, but that is the best I can do today. All the best everyone and I hope your day is going well. :ganjamon:
Beautiful bro and nively done on the end result!

Results of selective pollination update

Back in March I utilised some pollen to selectively pollinate 2 stems of each of my 3 photo plants. The pollen was a home made cross of White Widow XTRM x Gorgonzola which is approximately 55%Sativa 45% Indica. The pollen had been stored with green material which was still holding moisture, what was given to me was merely dust clinging to the sides of a zip lock bag. Clearly most of it was not viable, but still, there must been some grains of viable pollen as the attempt resulted in some regular seeds:

4 seeds Mango Sherbert
9 seeds Godfather OG
2 seeds Strawberry Cough

Clearly it is bugger all, I'd been hoping for a few hundred of each, but it's better than a kick in the pants!

However, as far as quantities go, all is not lost.
I had mentioned previously that I had made regular seeds of White Widow XTRM and White Widow XTRM x Gorgonzola. This last grow season I had given some to a grow buddy as he particularly liked the White Widow XTRM x Gorgonzola. I did warn him to take care because they were regular seeds and any males could end up pollinating his large female crop. What happened was the seeds grew great and produced some males amongst the females and summer breezes and the bees who descended on the plants for the pollen to feed their young did a real number on his plants where unfortunately they become heavily seeded. He gave me 4 samples from which I calculated that they were close to 60% by weight of seeds! So anyway, today I tediously sorted thru the last sample bag to get the seeds out. They will all have some White Widow in their genetics but it is unknown which will also contain Gorgonzola too as clearly there is no way to tell who the daddy was!

Anyway, I now have plenty of regular seeds, more than I will ever have years left to grow!

Well that's my seed making update. Next I'll post an update on the Cob cured buds. Be well everyone! :ganjamon:

Nice optimism getting the new seeds! From almost nothing comes a promise!
Yes exactly.
Making some regular seeds a few years ago saved my bacon when my seed orders were constantly getting confiscated. But now, as long as I have some female seeds I probably won't use regulars, with limited space in prohibition times females are just easier, but I am sure these regs will make some great bud.

Congrats on getting at least a few seeds from the pollen grains, and having bags of regs really does have to make you feel more secure in always having future grows.

You could always take over a closet and flip them young to see what sex they are, and reveg on the balcony if they're female!
From almost nothing comes a promise!
I love your poetry Otter! You should write song lyrics. :love:

10 day Cob update

I managed to find time today in daylight to open, photograph, check and re vac seal the cobs because as noted yesterday they have shrunk a little which had created a little air gap in the vac seal packets.

At this point they have had 1 day in the sweat stage, and 9 days kept warm at about 28C for the ferment stage that they are still currently in. These are my very first cobs so I don't have prior experience to compare them to, the smell is 'sweetish'. I am expecting to keep them in the ferment stage for another 1 - 3 weeks, before letting them dry for a day or two and then age/cure after re-vac sealing. I will look to open and re-check them in about a week.

This first pic is the cobs at 3 days old for comparison

Today's pic, cobs are 10 days old

Today's close up pic

They seem to be going to plan.

Be well folks! :hookah:
Looking very tasty

Congrats on getting at least a few seeds from the pollen grains, and having bags of regs really does have to make you feel more secure in always having future grows.

You could always take over a closet and flip them young to see what sex they are, and reveg on the balcony if they're female!
Thanks Shed. Given the scarcity of pollen dust in the donated bag it is an achievement to get a few seeds. But of course it doesn't really matter seeing how many seeds I got from my mate's seeded grow.

A closet would be good, but at present I am really tight on space so if I have the choice I'll most likely take the easier route and use my remaining female seeds.
Looking very tasty
Cheers Zeb!

35 day old cobs - update

My curing cobs are now 35 days old. This morning I took them out of their vac sealed bags and have left them on a rack in the dark to dry before I re-vac seal for ageing/curing in a few days time.

They are surface dry to touch but still 'bendy' so there is still some moisture in them. Drying them out now will halt the fermentation process. Some "bloom" can be seen on the surface, more on the Mango Sherbert and Godfather OG, but a few tiny spots are on the Strawberry Cough too. Bloom is the term used for the fine white powder that forms on the wrapper of the curing tobacco leaves used for cigars, it caused by the oils and salts that exude from the tobacco in the curing process. Bloom in tobacco indicates the leaf is considered alive, which is why when curing cannabis by cobbing we need to do so while the plant still has some moisture, some 'life' left within it, then wild yeast present can kick off the fermentation process, that's my understanding. Some folk have tried to re-hydrate dried/cured buds to make into cobs but I understand that once fully dried it is generally considered not as successful for cobbing as it is then thought to be more tricky for a fermentation process to start when the buds have already been fully dried/cured.

All 3 plants were harvested at the same time, the Strawberry Cough was perhaps fractionally drier than the other two, they all were hang dried for 4 days then trimmed into paper bags for a further 24 hours before being made into cobs.

They have a sweet fermented smell with a somewhat piercing underlying terpene smell. I will cut a piece off them to test in a day or two. If the weather is good on Thursday it'll be a king tide and I'll be off fishing with my brother and may utilise some to have a test of it, but I don't want to go too crazy in the black of the night with waves crashing around us.

Cobs after sweating and ferment stage, 35 days old.
From top to bottom, Mango Sherbert(x2), Godfather OG(x2), Strawberry Cough(x2)

Mango Sherbert close up

Godfather OG close up

Strawberry Cough close up

So that's where I am with cobs so far. Thanks for dropping by and I hope everyone's gardens are going great! :ganjamon:

Back
Top Bottom