Meristematic cells have the ability to reproduce “infinitely” as long as they remain undifferentiated.. So those meristem cells hanging out in the nodes and phloem/xylem can be rerouted if necessary. However this introduces another problem. If we’re removing an entire section of the meristem system this means resources and time are being left on the floor. Those cells obviously don’t just appear out of thin air, they require proteins.

I’m not a chemistry heavy person so I’m unsure of what elements it takes to create the proteins (Nitrogen at least I know) these cells need but it seems when we top we should be adding at least extra nitrogen to make up for this loss.

I’m not a chemistry heavy person so I’m unsure of what elements it takes to create the proteins (Nitrogen at least I know) these cells need but it seems when we top we should be adding at least extra nitrogen to make up for this loss.

I should reword that and say I’m not sure of the ratios that go into the proteins so I’m not sure which elements need which amounts

The unfortunate thing about knowledge and intelligence is when no one else is interested in the same thing 😂

Meristematic tissue/cells are undifferentiated (unprogrammed for @Gee64 🤣) they need a hormone/signal to begin differentiating. However, these cells are at the tips of your roots and shoots, that’s where they reside and get their signals sent to. There’s also cells in the internodes, and between the phloem and xylem.. You can see where they’re hanging out and why.

So with that, when we top, we most definitely are legitimately obliterating the cells and tissue from the plant. This means that when the plant “hormone shifts” it’s doing much more than just shifting. It’s either losing those apical meristem cells altogether, and the nodal meristem cells take over hence the lateral growth, or it’s regenerating new meristem cells. In the time it takes the plant to shift after topping I’m not willing to believe it’s a simple hormone shift. I think we have obliterated the apical meristem cells for the plants entire life.

I don’t like this at all, and it’s very counterintuitive to the natural organic path I’m trying to put it on. This seems like it’s automatically preventing our plants from reaching their genetic potential. Regardless of what our eyes see or what the yield is, removing these cells most certainly must have inflicted some level of trauma and damage to the plants potential.
Keff this is hugely interesting! I do share your interest in this knowledge I just need more years to cover all the topics I haven't got to or even considered is all. Thats a huge reason why I wanted a science room, we can share better. Thank You!

It sounds like I have some research in my future.

It is likely very possible and could explain why outdoor weed tastes and smells different.

I like sativas though so not topping means my plant is easily 5 feet tall at 56 days and then flip occurs and the plant doubles, so I have no choice indoors, but outdoors is where my true passion lies as you just build the soil and let nature do the rest, so I need to research this as sometimes I top and scrog and sometimes I don't top.

The scrogs produce a huge pile more but the untopped taste better. This could explain that. Looks like I am reading. I actually think I may have seen this topic in a Rodales publication. 👊

Meristematic cells have the ability to reproduce “infinitely” as long as they remain undifferentiated.. So those meristem cells hanging out in the nodes and phloem/xylem can be rerouted if necessary. However this introduces another problem. If we’re removing an entire section of the meristem system this means resources and time are being left on the floor. Those cells obviously don’t just appear out of thin air, they require proteins.

Topping definitely slows growth and I am oddly OK with that as my biggest challenge is plant height. I find that manifolding to 8 tops requires about 56 days so that works well for me, and I end up with a 24" plant and a huge rootball.

Quite often I encounter a pheno that is lankier right out of the seed so I have to "stunt" it by letting the cup get rootbound and not uppotting until day 21-24 just to keep them in check. That stunting quite often leads to less vigor for life.

I do know that a severely topped plant, as in a mother plant, will produce clones that grow very tall still so I am leaning towards the side that some of the apical meristem cells or at least the undifferentiated cells somehow survive, but thats just a guess, I really don't know at all.

Azi I think that side by side has to happen so anything you can toss my way on your calcium style is greatly appreciated.

I would hate to fail it because I screwed it up and we don't get fair results.

I am still about 4 weeks away from being able to cut clones, and then only if I get a female, so I have time to figure it out.

I am with family and my dogs all day at a secluded beach on Southern Vancouver Island today so you guys have the lab for the day👊

Keff this is hugely interesting! I do share your interest in this knowledge I just need more years to cover all the topics I haven't got to or even considered is all

In between stops but wanted to say lol I agree, it’s all interesting but as you know science gets lonely for the exact reason you said. There’s so many things I want to get to it’s hard to prioritize and I often get pulled off into other directions in the middle of say a bacterial study lol.

This science room is actually a very clever idea. I feel it’s much more freeing in that we can just drop ideas and theories in to remember or even have a quick side hash on it to power later study.

It’s not often what I’m studying lines up with what others are studying at the moment, simply because I can bounce from thing to thing so rapidly, this is a great place to help organize some of that.

In between stops but wanted to say lol I agree, it’s all interesting but as you know science gets lonely for the exact reason you said. There’s so many things I want to get to it’s hard to prioritize and I often get pulled off into other directions in the middle of say a bacterial study lol.

This science room is actually a very clever idea. I feel it’s much more freeing in that we can just drop ideas and theories in to remember or even have a quick side hash on it to power later study.

It’s not often what I’m studying lines up with what others are studying at the moment, simply because I can bounce from thing to thing so rapidly, this is a great place to help organize some of that.
My thoughts exactly, and its OUR room so float anything here and lets all learn and test it👊

To be honest I was thinking we all need a science room to keep personal journals more stream lined.

We can all pool our thoughts and ideas here and get group therapy, and as long as it is perpetual it can't win any journal contests so its without prejudice.

A collection of weird sciences to bookmark.

The bigger the conversation the smarter we all get and maybe we can get quite a few members all testing quite a few things all in one place.
Yes yes yes
As new ideas arise and we figure them out in here we can all try individual ideas in our own journals that we know will work, making great demonstrations for all of 420 to benefit from, and collectively build a huge resource of what intrigues the group.

A group journal of sorts I suppose.

And humor... god I love humor... Who don't love goofy $hit!🤣🤣🤣
I love goofy shit!
Krissi I knew you knew that. I started reading your droughting journal and "The Fight" broke out. PEOPLE THIS IS WHAT DROUGHTING DOES TO RESIN! You know your stuff and some in there were getting ugly in the beginning.
UGLY is a good term for what happened in the beginning of that drought thread. I tried my best to remain positive and diplomatic. What sucked was that one of my good friends here who is no longer on the forum, was one of the ones adamantly saying it was asinine. But you know, to each his own and wheoever wants to try it, try it. I'm not pushy. I am just open minded and hope that others are also
If you ever doubted Krissi heres the backup proof. It works. Period. I cure my weed in the typical way in jars so 11 days before harvest I drought til all fan leaves are crispy.

Then I chop and I am already 11 days into the cure starting with these heads.

Think about it for a second... when you chop and cure, the regulated slow dehydration of a long cure makes your weed more potent by pulling from the trim you leave on, so why not pull from the entire plant and get way more from it.

I call it Live Curing.
I like it. Live curing....
Its actually easier than driving to a dispensary giving away 20% thc and its free.

You work hard to get a grow done, take 11 days off😎😎
I have never went the 11, I think my max day was 8.5 but I've seen awesome results!
Yep, Krissi nailed it!! I knew it too!
Oh you have had some of these guys, too, for sure! Plenty of em!
lol dang Krissi! I was just on Keffs journal... All these beauties AND you cook??!! ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
Bahaha I do cook. I love to cook. Had a spread and a half last night for Christmas dinner here with my sis and cousin. I have leftovers!
Them are very pretty. You should probably wear a helmet when smoking that!
I have a really hard head. It's like a built in helmet. Worst case, I have two of my son's Spiderman helmets I can wear
My thoughts exactly, and its OUR room so float anything here and lets all learn and test it👊
This. Yes. It is OUR room! I love that you are open to any and all ideas!

outdoors is where my true passion lies
I only grow outside, but, in moveable tubs so that once Sept. rolls around they can be moved back into the greenhouse for overnight and eventually as weather permits. I will try the autos right in the ground again. I had crappy luck last year so hoping for better this year.
I start my seeds the first of June just to keep the photos at a manageable size.

Azi I think that side by side has to happen so anything you can toss my way on your calcium style is greatly appreciated.

I would hate to fail it because I screwed it up and we don't get fair results.
The video I linked to shows how I do it, following the instructions of Chris Trump, the U.S. "guru" who actually went to Korea to learn from the originator, Master Cho.

But if you have any questions, ask away. :thumb:

UGLY is a good term for what happened in the beginning of that drought thread. I tried my best to remain positive and diplomatic. What sucked was that one of my good friends here who is no longer on the forum, was one of the ones adamantly saying it was asinine.
Phew, I thought you were talking about me. :oops:

I only grow outside, but, in moveable tubs so that once Sept. rolls around they can be moved back into the greenhouse for overnight and eventually as weather permits. I will try the autos right in the ground again. I had crappy luck last year so hoping for better this year.
I start my seeds the first of June just to keep the photos at a manageable size.
movable tubs...on wheels?

The video I linked to shows how I do it, following the instructions of Chris Trump, the U.S. "guru" who actually went to Korea to learn from the originator, Master Cho.

Just finished. Very intriguing except I dont do animal protein so no egg shells. I wonder if oyster shell flour will work? I will try it when I get home on thursday.

Oh we do talk about you Azi! 😜

Back
Top Bottom