Tok's First Mushroom Diary - Medical First/Recreation

Thank you for stopping by @Carmen Ray
I hope you are have a beautiful day?

The reason I choose ultra-fine Vermiculite for the mushrooms is for water retention. The reading I have done suggest that fine vermiculite is better for fruiting and moisture collection. Granted fine vermiculite is more expensive, but I wanted to try a fine vermiculite when I get to that stage.

I read that @Midwest grow kits sell vermiculite that is fine, medium, course blend but I fail to order it when I bought my supplies.

Now, I am just waiting on my jars to colonizes. It has been 7 days since inoculated and still no sign.

When it comes down to it there are growers that like a medium and courser blend also.

Be safe, and grow well my friend,
Tok..

I hope you are have a beautiful day?

The reason I choose ultra-fine Vermiculite for the mushrooms is for water retention. The reading I have done suggest that fine vermiculite is better for fruiting and moisture collection. Granted fine vermiculite is more expensive, but I wanted to try a fine vermiculite when I get to that stage.

I read that @Midwest grow kits sell vermiculite that is fine, medium, course blend but I fail to order it when I bought my supplies.

Now, I am just waiting on my jars to colonizes. It has been 7 days since inoculated and still no sign.

When it comes down to it there are growers that like a medium and courser blend also.

Tok..
Patience Tok :passitleft:, it took my jars ages for the mycelium to fully populate the grain. Weeks. I think light and temp have to be optimal but not 100 % sure on details. You have light and temp controlled environment for them though, don't you?

Thank you for stopping in and checking my first attempt @Carmen Ray

Once, I see some growth I will be able to have patience's.
Just curious, if I inoculated them properly.
Patience Tok :passitleft:, it took my jars ages for the mycelium to fully populate the grain. Weeks. I think light and temp have to be optimal but not 100 % sure on details. You have light and temp controlled environment for them though, don't you?

The tank is sitting next to a window for indirect light.
The recommend temperatures is 77 to 81 per @Midwest GrowKits

Colonizing: Mycelial Growth Phase– Incubation Period
The jars are now ready to be incubated at about 77-81 degrees F for several weeks. If you have the Ultimate or Mega Kit, this is a good place to read the setup guide to get your incubator ready. If you have the Simple Kit or just the jars you will need to find a warm room or some other source of heat to keep them in that temperature range. Be careful not to use any heat source that could cause fires; if they get too cold, their growth will slow considerably, and if they get too hot, they will lose water and even-tually die. (They will usually die if they ever get above 105 degrees F) Mushrooms will colonize at lower temps but very slowly. Any temps less than 68 degrees, they will probably not colonize. There are some bacteria that thrive in temperatures over 82 degrees so the rule of thumb is to strive for 77-81 degrees. We find this the perfect temperature for speed of growing and low-est chance of contamination.

I had mind set at 75-76 degrees, so I adjusted up a little for the optimum temp. Time will tell.

That's all for now, will update temperature setting soon.

Tok..

I found one of my jars have started Mycelial Growth Phase. :party: I noticed it yesterday, but was invited out fishing on a boat so I took it. Caught about 5 or 6 smallmouth bass, no keeper but still fun. I need to go do my morning check and I will be back.

TR
Woohoo! for the mycelium and also for the fishing :)

Good Evening and thank you for stopping by @Carmen Ray

Yaa, I noticed it yesterday, but was siked to go out fishing. I haven't been boat fishing for awhile.
I am in the front taking the image.

So my first 6 jars were inoculated on Sept. 21, I thought the temperature was a little low at 75 degrees, so I raised it to 78 and waited for a few days, and BAM. Jar 3a started its producing mycelium yesterday. I do believe that I had the temperature set a little low to start and when I raised it, the process started worked faster.

By the way the jars numbering system
1 - A+ Albino
1A - Red Boy - Mycelial Growth Phase started 10-01
2 - Blue Marine
2A - Blue Marine
3 - A+ Albino
3A - A+ Albino
I think :rofl: one way or another I will know when they start fruiting. If the Mycelial Growth Phase start soon on the other jars, should I try re-inoculating them or mark them down as learning and a lose?

Images of jar 1A

That's all folks.
Let me know what you think about re-inoculating the other jars or just count them as a lose and learning experience?

Tok..

I think you should give them more time. This is what my jars looked like in varying stages of colonization. It took a long time. Weeks.
DSC_3383.jpg
DSC_4611.jpg
DSC_4191.jpg
DSC_4563.jpg

I hope you don't mind the photo dump in your journal Tok. In the bottom pic you'll see shiny gleaming "pin heads", which indicate the start of fruiting. Different strains develop at different rates.
Regarding colonization of grain jars, if you look carefully at the top pic you will see the back jars are taking longer. It was different strains. The Natalensis was much quicker than than the Trinity.

I must emphasize that it took many weeks and I had to be more patient than usual.

Thank you for your reply @Carmen Ray

You are probably right about waiting long, and most likely that is what I will do. I have not gave them all a chance at the higher temperature, yet.

I must say that is an impressive crop you have there and the images are shot on.
Why don't you start a mushroom diary?
I think you have a great shot at winning some supplies.

Tok..

Thank you for your reply @Carmen Ray

You are probably right about waiting long, and most likely that is what I will do. I have not gave them all a chance at the higher temperature, yet.

I must say that is an impressive crop you have there and the images are shot on.
Why don't you start a mushroom diary?
I think you have a great shot at winning some supplies.

Tok..
I chucked it in. The risk outweighed the reward in my case. The photos are just what's left, this and some petri dishes and prints.

Good Morning 420 Magazine

The daily check in the shroom room gave me a pleasant surprise this morning. Jar 1 has started the Mycelial Growth Phase on 10/02 and looking good. I normally check the jars twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening. That way I check for growth ever 12 hours. I am feeling a lot better about the process after I started to see some mycelial growth.

I will take images of the jars only after the mycelial growth starts or something goes wrong.

1 - A+ Albino - Mycelial Growth Phase started 10-02
2 - Blue Marine
2A - Blue Marine
3 - A+ Albino
3A - A+ Albino

Todays images. Please forgive the numbering I got a jar that started out 1 and had to be changed to 3. Which was the one that just started the mycelial growth phase.

That's all folk's

Be safe, and grow well my friends,
Tok..

Now that I have a couple different spores growing, I want to give you some information about them.

This information is readily available for research on our sponsors @Spore Genetics website Gourmet Mushroom Spore Store | Spore Genetics.
To start with I have two different spores colonizing currently.

Red Boy descriptions

1696351142744.png

The "Red Boy" is a distinct strain of Psilocybe cubensis, an intriguing variant of the PF Classic strain. This strain is distinguished by its unique reddish-brown spores, a deviation from the typical dark purple-brown spore color commonly found in other Psilocybe cubensis strains.

The "Red Boy" thrives in subtropical climates, often discovered in environments rich with bovine and equine dung, as well as enriched soils. The mushrooms themselves present a captivating visual display. Caps can reach sizes up to 75mm in diameter, transitioning from broadly convex to a flat plane as they mature. When disturbed or injured, the flesh reveals a striking bluish-green hue. The stems are typically about 150mm in length, with a bulbous base. Notably, the partial veil is nearly absent, rarely leaving a ring on the stem.

The gills, adnate to adnexed in attachment, exhibit a rich brown color. As for the spores, their reddish-brown pigmentation is a signature characteristic of this strain, drying to a pure brown. The lighter spore pigmentation might make them more challenging to inspect with the naked eye. However, they are ample and perfectly suited for microscopy and taxonomy purposes.

It's important to note that this strain should not be confused with another strain also known as "Redboy" - a subtle difference in spelling, but a completely different strain. This "Red Boy" strain, with its unique features and characteristics, offers an interesting subject for mycological study and microscopy.

The second spore colonizing is A+ Albino in Mycelial Growth Phase

1696351393544.png

If you're a fan of Mushrooms, you won't want to miss out on the A+ Albino. This remarkable Fungi boasts an impressive lineage, being Genetically descended from the A+ variety. It's also a generous fruiter, providing growers dense flushes with ease. Featuring nearly all-white caps with a yellowish coloring that darkens towards the center, this mushroom is a true standout. And with thick stems that can sporulate heavily, A+ Albino is a dream for those who love to watch their mushrooms grow. Once more, unlike true albino mushrooms, this variety is "leucistic," meaning it has reduced pigmentation and highly visible purple-black spores that coat the stem-ring. And while some believe there may be a connection between A+ Albino and Panaeolus Species, one thing's for sure - this mushroom is a must-try for any mushroom enthusiast looking for a unique and delightful experience.

This is just some of the information that can be found on their website.

Another day another new beginning.

The next jar to show mycelial growth phase is jar 3A with spores of a A+ Albino. anyone want to take a guess at the next jar colonizing? :rofl: The probabilities are with jar 3, but I am hoping for a Blue Marine to start. I think they may take a little longer than the others.

Sorry for the mislabeling of the jars, they are right now.

2 - Blue Marine
2A - Blue Marine
3 - A+ Albino
3A - A+ Albino - Mycelial Growth Phase started 10-03
3B - A+ Albino - Mycelial Growth Phase started 10-02

Here are some current images.

That's all folk's

Tok..

I have had growth in the jars that are in the Mycelial Growth Phase, but not new development in any of the other jars.
Sorry it's time to play outside the box. :oops::rolleyes:o_O:idea::goof::nervous-guy::reading420magazine:

2 - Blue Marine
2A - Blue Marine
3 - A+ Albino

Well, I only got about 6 hours or half of my yard work before the rains come tonight and the temperature drop. I did find a couple specimen to add to @420 new data base for PSYCHOACTIVE MEDICINAL FUNGI

So, while we are waiting on myceli; let talk about working in my yard. It was interest, first I found a lavender type mushroom that had the cap, gill's and stem in a beautiful shaded. I believe it was Cortinarius Purpurascens That was in my front yard, now the back yard. I found what I believe is a Honey Mushroom a beautiful shade of cinnamon. Which I understand are ettible, I believe, but I did not have a plan and there was not enough.. Anyways this is when the light came on. Growing cannabis I can make seeds; now I need to learn how to make spore prints.

So here we go, I used samples front in my front and back yard on 10-05-2023. I placed a cap gills side down for 6 to 12 hours with a glass open top of them on aluminum foil. That's it let see if it will work.

Current images

Can you guess where I am?

Be safe and cultivate well my friends,
Tok..

Good morning 420 Magazine

I hope all is well with everyone.
I have been playing a little bit, learning how to do spore prints. Interesting and I did make a spore print of the Cortinarius Purpurascens and I think I got a light one on the Honey Mushrooms. I just wanted to see if I could do it for possible future use.

The three grain jars (1A, 3A and 3B have been building mycelial growth and at this point no others jars have started mycelial growth. Oh well, 50% will work for first try a mushrooms cultivation.

2 - Blue Marine
2A - Blue Marine
3 - A+ Albino

That should bring this one up to date.

That's all folk's.

Tok..

Good morning 420 Magazine

I hope all is well with everyone.
I have been playing a little bit, learning how to do spore prints. Interesting and I did make a spore print of the Cortinarius Purpurascens and I think I got a light one on the Honey Mushrooms. I just wanted to see if I could do it for possible future use.

The three grain jars (1A, 3A and 3B have been building mycelial growth and at this point no others jars have started mycelial growth. Oh well, 50% will work for first try a mushrooms cultivation.

2 - Blue Marine
2A - Blue Marine
3 - A+ Albino

That should bring this one up to date.

That's all folk's.

Tok..
Great to see they mycelial growth Tok and well done on the spore print!

I hope all is well with you?

I thought I would play around and learn how to do spore prints while I am waiting.
I was surprised how easy it was.

All I did, was place the mushroom cap of the aluminum foil or white paper (gill side down) and cover it with a glass for 6 to 12 hours.
When I remove the glass the print was wet, but appeared as it dried.

There may be other ways, but this was a first attempt try.

Tok..

Time for an update of the Mycelial Growth Phase

The three jars that have started the mycelial growth phase have been progressing nicely. Red Boy is leading the way and A+ Albino is not far behind. I may end up fruiting the Red Boy, while the other two catch up, haven't decided yet.

1A - Red Boy - Mycelial Growth Phase started 10-01 - currently at 75%
2 -
2A -
3 -
3A - A+ Albino - Mycelial Growth Phase started 10-03 - currently at 45%
3B - A+ Albino - Mycelial Growth Phase started 10-02 - currently at 20%

Here are some current images of the actions. :tommy:

Sorry for the poor images, I did not pay attention to angle.

That's all folk's.

Tok

Back
Top Bottom