Tommboy1973’s Outdoor Desert Autoflower 2021

but left them in the fridge. The humidity is now reading 70% after sitting capped overnight
RH in a sealed jar in the fridge is meaningless to room temperature. Relative humidity is relative to temperature.
I don’t have a temp controller and they’re out in the shed in the heat so it’s really hard to keep the temperature steady.
Leave them in a dark closet in the house. Your house must have more stable temps than the shed! Heat will turn your THC to CBN.
do I leave the lid off and keep checking by sealing up occasionally?
It can take 12 hours at room temperatures to stabilize the RH in the jar, so pull some buds out of the fridge, bring them to room temps in an open jar, and then seal it with the hygrometer for 12 hours. That's the RH of the buds at the temps we measure by.

That’s what I do
Thanks!! So do you pull them out and let them come up to room temp or do you check in the fridge? Shed says RH meaningless at fridge temps so I’m still a little confused. If you check in the fridge what RH do you look for?
Your house must have more stable temps
My house runs 77-80, is that an ok temp if I decide to cure inside the house instead of the fridge.

RH is meaningful in the fridge compared to what it was in the fridge earlier, but it's meaningless compared to what the RH is going to be after 12 hours out of the fridge, which is what matters in the end.

And 77-80ºF is fine for curing if that's the best you have. Cooler is better but it probably won't matter unless you're storing them for a long time.

Just so I understand, were you thinking of storing them in the fridge during the cure as well?

I take them out & let them warm up to room temp. Shed had a good idea about just taking some out. If you do that, I would seal the jar in the fridge so that the stuff in the fridge doesn’t get too dry in 12 hours.

It can take 12 hours at room temperatures to stabilize the RH in the jar, so pull some buds out of the fridge, bring them to room temps in an open jar, and then seal it with the hygrometer for 12 hours. That's the RH of the buds at the temps we measure by.
Sorry Shed, at work trying to peek at my messages between patients, and I missed this part of your message.
and yes, I was maybe considering a fridge cure as well if the house temps are too warm.
I take them out & let them warm up to room temp. Shed had a good idea about just taking some out.
Thanks!! Ok back to work I go!

It's better to cure cool than warm, but I'm not sure about curing in the fridge, and I'll tell you why. Curing generally relies on microbes in the flowers chewing through the remaining chlorophyll and converting it to sugar, and the cold temps in the fridge might put the microbes into hibernation.

Here is a good article on drying and curing.

Have a good afternoon and say hi to your patients from us. :ciao:

I think what is important to remember in the cool cure is having the fridge hooked up to a temperature controller and maintaining the temperatur around that 15*C (59*F) that the article says is the low point they like to see. When I do my cool cure I try to follow the post from @Tejasdirt (post #2606) from the L&S thread. He likes to keep his temp controller at 58*F, which is only 1* less that what was stated in the article

Something else I wonder about. Drying at room temperature takes what, 7-10 days? Then you burp for what, 3 weeks? So that’s like 30 days. Wouldn’t that 30 day period of drying at fridge temperatures kind of achieve what burping does? Also wouldn’t the fact that it may take as long as 30 days for the buds to reach 62% rH help get rid of most of the chlorophyll?

I think what is important to remember in the cool cure is having the fridge hooked up to a temperature controller
but I'm not sure about curing in the fridge
Since I don’t have a temp controller to keep the temperature in the correct range, I think I’ll play it safe and cure at room temp. I went ahead and pulled out the jar tonight, will give it an hour to come to temp and then cap it overnight and see how it looks in the am. Thanks for all your help guys!

Wouldn’t that 30 day period of drying at fridge temperatures kind of achieve what burping does? Also wouldn’t the fact that it may take as long as 30 days for the buds to reach 62% rH help get rid of most of the chlorophyll?
Burping replaces the CO2 generated by the microbes and replaces it with oxygen so they can keep going (they're aerobic rather than anaerobic). I'm still pretty sure that the fridge would shut down the microbes and stop the process.

Ok, back for more advice! I let buds warm up in open jar for one hour, then capped jar overnight. RH this morning is 72. Do they need to go back in fridge to continue drying or ok to burp? If burp do I do it twice a day since it’s still a little high?

Shed is exactly right. You’ll be able to control that last bit of drying time so you don’t get them too dry. I think they’ll turn out great.

Sooo....wow! I put the jar back in the fridge yesterday with the cap off. Pulled it out this morning, capped it, and left it inside the house while I went to work. More because I had the farrier coming today, and I had to leave the shed unlocked for her, than I thought it would be ready. I usually leave water and Gatorades for her so didn’t want her discovering my stash, lol. Anyways I just got home and checked it and it’s down to 60% from 70% yesterday. It’s been in the closed jar exactly 12 hours.

And on an unrelated note, got my second Pfizer vaccine today. Hopefully I still feel ok tomorrow!

Anyways I just got home and checked it and it’s down to 60% from 70% yesterday.
I figured they would dry faster when the rH got lower.

And on an unrelated note, got my second Pfizer vaccine today. Hopefully I still feel ok tomorrow!
WooHoo! 2nd shot. I felt a little bit like I was gonna get sick the next day after my 2nd Pfizer shot but that passed fairly quickly. My wife was fine after her 2nd.

Our 21 year old son got his vaccines right away as he works in a pharmacy. He was very sick the next day after his second. I felt pretty dragged down after my first. I have autoimmune thyroid disease so not sure if that will be a factor.

Yeah I was wondering when I should check them again. Apparently the answer is now, lol. Still trying to decide if I should put a 62% Integra humipak in or just do it live.

WooHoo! 2nd shot. I felt a little bit like I was gonna get sick the next day after my 2nd Pfizer shot but that passed fairly quickly. My wife was fine after her 2nd.
Congrats on vaccine phew right. Sounds like you're ready for some smooth smoke mine still drying. I did snip a tester bud hehehe. Kinda harsh but there's a cure for that pun intended

The Integra is going to struggle against the low ambient humidity.
Last night I put a second hygrometer in just to double check. This morning they are reading 62% and 63% (these are adjusted RH%, when I got them I did the salt slurry in a jar test, and all 6 read 71% at room temp after 24 hours so I add 4% to each reading). Wouldn’t this be the right percentage to add the humipak and only briefly burp daily? Or are you saying the dry air would cause problems with the humipak during the brief time when I burp? I could burp in the bathroom after a shower where the humidity is higher? Or do you think it’s too soon/early to be at that RH and that’s why you want me to bump it back up with the bread. Sorry for all the questions, just trying to understand.
BTW so far I’m feeling normal today other than a sore arm :cool:

Back
Top Bottom