Tommboy1973’s Outdoor Desert Autoflower 2021

Beauty!!! How old is it?
Thanks! I think I harvested that around 110 days from sprout.
Kinda curious what would happen if I just let it go to the very end, lol!
Very end? Like all amber (if it ever gets amber)? Pure body stone and very little "high," as it will be almost entirely CBN rather than THC.
BTW I started a second journal for my next round of autos, hoping to apply what I’ve learned to this next batch.
I found it but drop a link here! Wait...I will for ya:
And I potted up a couple photos today, including one of the Durban Poisons, going to see how they do over the summer.
Where will you be updating the Durbans? Here or the auto thread?
I’m hooked now!
:circle-of-love:

Thanks! I think I harvested that around 110 days from sprout.

Very end? Like all amber (if it ever gets amber)? Pure body stone and very little "high," as it will be almost entirely CBN rather than THC.

Where will you be updating the Durbans? Here or the auto thread?

:circle-of-love:
:thanks:
I will start a separate journal for them once I have something to post. Right now all I have is some empty cups LOL. I’m trying your clear solo cup in a colored solo cup method. Thought that was a great idea to see root development.

Nice! Make sure you're in the shade when you peek. Roots don't like to see the sun. :)
Especially out here! The sun is ridiculous, they would prob keel over immediately! I know I do, lol! I hate hate hate summers here but the winter makes up for it.

They have a bit of a hay smell :(
They still smell wonderful tho! Not a hint of mold or hay smell to them.
Maaaaan...my entire harvest last season smelled like hay for the longest time. I'm sure I didn't cure correctly. Every once in a while, I'll get a nice mellow and classic reefer smell. But not too often. My buds just don't smell like high end stuff. This year's harvest will be a different story! I am going to be more diligent and attentive to all the details.

I don't seal my jars for curing until at least three weeks from chop!
Ok...I need to do more research on curing because I may have sealed my jars too early. I also think I did not produce good buds anyway. It was good practice but I'm about to dump everything I produced last season into the Magical Butter machine and make some infusions.
Honeybabe peach thought I would share how that’s doing? It was a bareroot this spring.
Before I read your text...I was thinking to myself...what the hell is wrong with that plant? Time to scrap it! Then my subconscious told me, "hey that looks like peach leaves!" And then I read your text. Haaa haaa! Great looking little peach.
BTW I started a second journal for my next round of autos, hoping to apply what I’ve learned to this next batch.
I was about to do what this random guy in the quote below did... :laugh: Thanks for posting the link Shed!

Ok...I need to do more research on curing because I may have sealed my jars too early. I also think I did not produce good buds anyway. It was good practice but I'm about to dump everything I produced last season into the Magical Butter machine and make some infusions.
I’m telling ya the difference between the traditional dry/cure and the fridge dry/cure is remarkable. I realize this is my first one and I’m not done yet but I’m liking everything about the fridge method so far.

the fridge dry/cure is remarkable.
That's what I did as well but I still think I did something wrong when I got them into jars. Who knows. Maybe I did it right and I just grew shitty bud?! That is most definitely possible. They never had the pungent aromas in the garden, even before harvest. So yeah...sounds like I grew crappy plants and didn't know what I was doing during the cure too.

That's what I did as well but I still think I did something wrong when I got them into jars. Who knows. Maybe I did it right and I just grew shitty bud?! That is most definitely possible. They never had the pungent aromas in the garden, even before harvest. So yeah...sounds like I grew crappy plants and didn't know what I was doing during the cure too.
Mine never had a super strong smell either but the smell they do have is good. Maybe it’s just an outdoor thing?

Mine never had a super strong smell either but the smell they do have is good. Maybe it’s just an outdoor thing?
My first season, I had a few plants that were in a small greenhouse. They stunk to high heaven! Not sure what it was because the genetics I grew last year should have been way better. We shall find out this year. Indoor vs Outdoor

My first season, I had a few plants that were in a small greenhouse. They stunk to high heaven! Not sure what it was because the genetics I grew last year should have been way better. We shall find out this year. Indoor vs Outdoor
I have an outdoor desert grow in progress. My 1st indoor crop I will harvest Saturday and they do smell strong. Interesting I'll pay attention to that

I’m liking everything about the fridge method so far.
I’m lucky enough to have a dedicated full size fridge hooked up to a temperature controller for drying and curing. I won’t do it any other way. It may take a longer but I feel it is worth the extra time and effort.

I knew they were still too wet. Sure enough, after I let them come to room temp I capped the jar and they were at 79% within 30 min’s. I spread them out to dry for a little bit,
Taking them out, letting them come up to room temperature & leaving them out kinda defeats the purpose of low & slow. Depending on which plant, last year it took me anywhere from 3-4 weeks to get down to 62% rH.

When I first started doing the L&S, I would alternate between laying the jars down or standing them up. Standing them upright, the weight of the buds tended to cause the bud to compact. Laying the jars on their sides caused moisture to collect on the side of the jar that was facing up. I found that if I elevated the mouth of the jars upwards at an angle, I used a 2X4 cut to the width of the shelf, my moisture problem went away. The buds cured much better this way.

Also, are you tumbling yours jars? I did it twice a day. Also I went back and looked at my notes from last year. I had buds from one plant at 80% rH on day 20 and another on was 84% rH on day 24. Those buds turned out great. In my opinion, you don’t have to worry if they’re at 79% on day 10. Remember, Low & Slow.

Taking them out, letting them come up to room temperature & leaving them out kinda defeats the purpose of low & slow. Depending on which plant, last year it took me anywhere from 3-4 weeks to get down to 62% rH.

Also, are you tumbling yours jars? I did it twice a day. Also I went back and looked at my notes from last year. I had buds from one plant at 80% rH on day 20 and another on was 84% rH on day 24. Those
The bringing them out and up to room temp to check humidity was in the instructions in the link you shared about the low and slow dry, that got me going in the first place. The leaving them out for a bit was all me... was just a little nervous about the high humidity yet. Good to know I don’t need to worry.
Yes I do tumble twice a day to get a little airflow around the buds.

Also yesterday morning I turned the fridge down as it’s heating up here and was getting hotter in the shed, and looking at my temp history it was getting hotter in the fridge. Well, what really happened is... I thought I turned the fridge down but I actually turned it up. Whoever decided that min means hotter and max means cooler gots it backwards if you ask me, lol. I had even googled it and foolishly trusted the first answer I found. So I panicked a little when I checked the history and saw it had gotten up to 60 in the fridge most of the day. Was a little worried about mold even tho everything still smells good.

Thanks for the update. Sounds like you’re on the right track. If I remember correctly, it seems like the rH of the buds was fairly high for awhile, and then the last few days it really dropped off, so keep an eye out for that. Also I found that I get a better cure using wide mouth jars.

Whoever decided that min means hotter and max means cooler gots it backwards

Sheesh, ya think they would make it so there is no room for confusion. That’s one of the reasons I hook mine up to a temperature controller.

I
Thanks for the update. Sounds like you’re on the right track. If I remember correctly, it seems like the rH of the buds was fairly high for awhile, and then the last few days it really dropped off, so keep an eye out for that. Also I found that I get a better cure using wide mouth jars.

So when you check moisture levels you don’t bring it out of the fridge and up to room temp, you just put the lid on in the fridge? Do you finish the cure in the fridge as well? What percentage do you like to see before you seal and start burping?

So when you check moisture levels you don’t bring it out of the fridge
I do but only when I think they are close to 62% rH. You can tell by how they feel. You said yourself that you knew they were too wet. So if they feel too wet, just tumble them around and put them back in the fridge.

What percentage do you like to see before you seal and start burping?
I like to see 62% and I don’t burp. The way I figure it, they have been in the fridge for 3-4 weeks with the screen on the opening. So they’ve kind of been accomplishing what burping does, which is letting the chlorophyll gas off.

Do you finish the cure in the fridge as well?
Yes. I follow the cold cure/fridge cure method. Once they’ve reached 62%rH, I put a 62% Boveda pack in, seal it up and leave it for 3 weeks or so. I have been know to sneak out a tester bud before the 3 weeks, but don’t tell anyone ;)

The cold cure method I use is below. It’s post #2606.

So when you check moisture levels you don’t bring it out of the fridge and up to room temp, you just put the lid on in the fridge?
In order to get an accurate reading of the RH of the buds they have to be brought up to room temperature first, then sealed in the jar. RH is relative humidity, and it's relative to temperature. You need the buds and air in the jar to be at the normal temps to gauge the moisture in them.
I have been know to sneak out a tester bud before the 3 weeks, but don’t tell anyone
:eek:

:laugh:

@Tommboy1973 It had been a while since I had read the cold cure post. So I went back and read it. Then I started looking at the posts before and after post #2606. It was an on going discussion about whether to take them out to dry for a while. If you haven’t done so already, go back and read those. It’s an interesting discussion.

Back
Top Bottom