What are issues that growers have had with Ebb & Flow systems

Sorry nobody has answered this yet for you!
I have been growing for about three years, all hydro in the basement under the stairs.
I have two tents, one for flowering and one for cloning.
Now, to answer your question - it depends.
You might already know this, but I found out that if I didn't change the water every week, my grow suffered. The quality of the water is very important. But I don't have a 55 gallon tank. I have a 10 gallon reservoir for my main grow in a 2 x 2 1/2 by 5'7" tent. For my clones, I have a deep water culture unit in a smaller tent. It holds 5 gallons. I change the water in both weekly.
I didn't do this on my first two grows, because it was a big job. The water had to be siphoned or pumped through a special hose that emptied out the patio door. But after having miserable results (also due to my incompetence), my dear husband and daughter help me do this every weekend. It takes about an hour or so with them helping. It is worth it. My grows have increased in quality and quantity. I'm still learning, and probably always will be. But I am experienced in this and will be glad to answer any questions.

I'm just learning how to be social on this site. LOL. I'm pretty old, so the idea of social media is a bit new, especially how it is evolving. I have an iphone and an iPad and a beautiful iMac with a 2-inch screen. But I'm not married to any of them enough to constantly check my forums. I'm trying.
Now back to the reservoir.
There are three things your plants need: adequate light, fresh air that moves, and water with nutrients. Any of these that have problems will affect your plants.
The water is not good after a week. The nutrients are full of salts, and these build up and corrode the pumps and the airstones, etc. Also, the plants have deposited waste in the water. And it smells like they did. After a week, the water is tired, depleted, and in need of changing. And if you are running a 55-gallon tank you probably have a lot of plants. So it is relative.
I change the water every week, and every other week I change the water AND clean and disinfect the hoses, connectors, stones, pumps, and the reservoir itself. Vacuum out the tent bottom. It is maintenance. Has to be done.
Hydro is a lot more work than soil, but once you get through a first or second mediocre grow fraught with issues, you learn and find you can grow more, more often, and get a higher yield.
I use General Hydroponics nutes, but I'm looking at others. I'm hoping to find a regimen that is less complicated. LOL.
I subscribed to your journal and will be interested to watch this happen.

I'm just learning how to be social on this site. LOL. I'm pretty old, so the idea of social media is a bit new, especially how it is evolving. I have an iphone and an iPad and a beautiful iMac with a 2-inch screen. But I'm not married to any of them enough to constantly check my forums. I'm trying.
Now back to the reservoir.
There are three things your plants need: adequate light, fresh air that moves, and water with nutrients. Any of these that have problems will affect your plants.
The water is not good after a week. The nutrients are full of salts, and these build up and corrode the pumps and the airstones, etc. Also, the plants have deposited waste in the water. And it smells like they did. After a week, the water is tired, depleted, and in need of changing. And if you are running a 55-gallon tank you probably have a lot of plants. So it is relative.
I change the water every week, and every other week I change the water AND clean and disinfect the hoses, connectors, stones, pumps, and the reservoir itself. Vacuum out the tent bottom. It is maintenance. Has to be done.
Hydro is a lot more work than soil, but once you get through a first or second mediocre grow fraught with issues, you learn and find you can grow more, more often, and get a higher yield.
I use General Hydroponics nutes, but I'm looking at others. I'm hoping to find a regimen that is less complicated. LOL.
I subscribed to your journal and will be interested to watch this happen.
Thanks

I used to dread changing my reservoir every 7-10 days as the nutrients I used were expensive. Now I have MegaCrop nutrients, spent about $12 on the whole grow !

The main reason I change the water every seven days is, I have a 10 gallon reservoir. With three plants the probability that the water will be “ wornout” is greater. But I went 14 days recently with young plants and no problem. When I first started this, I didn’t change often and the grows suffered. Every grower has to figure out what works in their situation. But when giving advice to new growers I suggest weekly changes.

The main reason I change the water every seven days is, I have a 10 gallon reservoir. With three plants the probability that the water will be “ wornout” is greater. But I went 14 days recently with young plants and no problem. When I first started this, I didn’t change often and the grows suffered. Every grower has to figure out what works in their situation. But when giving advice to new growers I suggest weekly changes.
My first 55 gallon reservoir with no conditioner went south quick. Took a long time clean out. I now have clear res and z7. 2nd res started going south on day 8 or 9, but I didn't put enough clear rez, so now it gets 8oz every res change and another 8oz on the 4th day. I started a Sunday res change and Wednesday booster on the clear rez, working so far. :passitleft:

Somewhere I read that a good rule of thumb is to clean it and change the water by the time you have upped the res equal to what the res holds. For example, I have a 10-gal res, and if the plants are using a gallon a day, then I need to change the res by the time it uses 10 gallons. I'm not sure how that would translate to a 55-gallon res.
Also, I use Z-7 and mycorrhizae. The Z-7 is a game changer. It keeps the reservoir cleaner and also conditions the water.

I have a 5 gallon reservoir that has aeration and a small water pump in it. For me the water is one way in flow. I have soil. Reason for even posting here is to say I change my water every Sunday and clean the water hose, pump and air stones. It gets a layer of slime on it. And leaves a layer of crud around the rim.
Thanks, my res is 55 gallon but I only use 42 gallons, it's a closed system

Sorry nobody has answered this yet for you!
I have been growing for about three years, all hydro in the basement under the stairs.
I have two tents, one for flowering and one for cloning.
Now, to answer your question - it depends.
You might already know this, but I found out that if I didn't change the water every week, my grow suffered. The quality of the water is very important. But I don't have a 55 gallon tank. I have a 10 gallon reservoir for my main grow in a 2 x 2 1/2 by 5'7" tent. For my clones, I have a deep water culture unit in a smaller tent. It holds 5 gallons. I change the water in both weekly.
I didn't do this on my first two grows, because it was a big job. The water had to be siphoned or pumped through a special hose that emptied out the patio door. But after having miserable results (also due to my incompetence), my dear husband and daughter help me do this every weekend. It takes about an hour or so with them helping. It is worth it. My grows have increased in quality and quantity. I'm still learning, and probably always will be. But I am experienced in this and will be glad to answer any questions.
Why not just pump it into your basement froor drain, or into a toilet. When my grow was smaller, I extracted my nutrients with a shop vacuum. The ones with a drain work best. You can build a wet vacuum with a 5 gallon pail too. I used a clear measuring pail, lid with seal and spout, 1/2" waterfarm grommet, 1/2" 90 rain bird sprinker fitting, and 1/2" tube. Just drill a 3/4" whole in the lid, install the grommet, 90, and hose, and your done. Put the tube in nutes, and apply vacuum to spout. Don't let it fill until the vacuum sucks in water, 3-4 gal at a time.

I’m using advanced nutrients and a flood tray with res outside the tent. it’s a 7 inch tray with 5inch net pots. The pots are full of Hydroton and a starter plug with the babies. How high do you guys recommend flooding? How often should I flood? They’re just babies with 2 - 5 sets of leaves and I can’t seem to keep em perfectly happy

I’m using advanced nutrients and a flood tray with res outside the tent. it’s a 7 inch tray with 5inch net pots. The pots are full of Hydroton and a starter plug with the babies. How high do you guys recommend flooding? How often should I flood? They’re just babies with 2 - 5 sets of leaves and I can’t seem to keep em perfectly happy
How often are you turning the pump on ? Any roots coming out of the net pot yet ?

What are the plants looking like? Are they turgid and standing up straight, with the leaves looking good? If so, you are fine. If not, they may need more water. With hydroton, I flood for 30 minutes every three hours. With coco coir and Perlite, much less often. Maybe for 30 minutes twice a day.
My opinion! LOL. Oh, and if you would show us pictures, that will help, too.

The one plant is terribly droopy and the other has good and bad moments. The smaller ones were only put in yesterday and don’t seem to have much issue as of this morning tho I figure they

Attachments

• 43AD7088-FB36-4D4D-8BC2-489854858348.jpeg
    43AD7088-FB36-4D4D-8BC2-489854858348.jpeg
    671.9 KB · Views: 216
  • FE51FEED-9B0A-4FD1-B0A1-FD4655ED2828.jpeg
    FE51FEED-9B0A-4FD1-B0A1-FD4655ED2828.jpeg
    670 KB · Views: 237
OK. If you are using hydroton, it doesn't retain any moisture and nutrients between flooding. I always do it for 45 minutes every three hours with that. Maybe they need more water? Also, when they are very young and just placed in the tent, I always give them 24 hours of flooding straight. It makes the roots more receptive to the nutrients and orients them to the new setup. If I don't do that, they always droop.

Back
Top Bottom