Yellow leaves

Slick0ne

I have a question about the current grow I’m doing in coco. Last week I started to get some yellowing in a few of my leafs but the rest of the plant looks healthy. I looked at some deficiency charts and a few days of forum searching but I couldn’t tell what was going on. The problem has gotten worse with more leafs turning yellow and some dying. Some even have red stems. Now a couple of them have spots.

Come to think of it this problem started after switching from veg to bloom nutes two weeks ago.

I’m new as this is only my second plant to make it past a seedling.

Autoflower Jack Herer 420
56 days since seed sprout
Growing in coco loco
5 gal fabric pot
Well water used
Feed right now is 1.5 to 2 days apart with fox farm liquid nutes.
5ml/gal cal mag
30ml/gal of liquid plant food
15ml/gal tiger bloom
(Was using grow big rather than tiger bloom a couple weeks ago)
PH water to 5.8-5.9 after all nutes added
Getting about 10% run off after using 3/4gal to 1gal

6464AEE1-19BB-4CE9-A30D-92D082B89385.jpeg

5588B2E0-638D-4276-93AF-624B432EAEF3.jpeg

DFF8C64F-6BD7-42FF-A62D-47A16BEBE819.jpeg

D104116D-78D1-4591-8123-D01C49436F13.jpeg

I went in at 7am this morning to check on them and take some more pictures. It’s a cold 43* morning here and I noticed I had a low of 65* saved on the thermometer. So I adjusted the heater a bit to hopefully keep it warmer in there.

Could it be cold stress turning the leafs yellow? We have had several 55* mornings in the last few weeks. Normally I don’t get a chance to check the plants until 5pm or so and the temps are good.

I looked all over for bugs but I see no bugs or dead bugs.
98372745-BC0B-4C98-A3B3-1A04530C3CDE.jpeg
BA034F3A-B383-46A7-83C5-9696ADEEA9CE.jpeg
EF9CEBF4-32D8-497A-B7A7-0CD2D5C8A68C.jpeg
40451F41-E9D2-4803-9528-F65DE41D631D.jpeg

Hi @Slick0ne
It's not unusual for lower leaves to yellow/spot in flower
Those leaves have served their purpose and are now shifting the last energy they have into the flowers
Most growers will take them off along with any tiny popcorn buds not in direct light
It makes for better airflow under the canopy and ensures energy is concentrated on the top buds

Hi @Slick0ne
Those leaves have served their purpose and are now shifting the last energy they have into the flowers
Most growers will take them off along with any tiny popcorn buds not in direct light
It makes for better airflow under the canopy and ensures energy is concentrated on the top buds
This is something to remember.

Hi @Slick0ne
That is great to know. They all seemed to be long stemmed leafs that did not have anything growing off them. Is that what they call fan leafs?
I need to look into what I need to trim off. I do notice other growers have there plants looking bare.

Thank you for the reply

That is great to know. They all seemed to be long stemmed leafs that did not have anything growing off them. Is that what they call fan leafs?
I need to look into what I need to trim off. I do notice other growers have there plants looking bare.

Thank you for the reply
Ask for help before you start cutting leaves. I post and wait for a response before doing anything and it has worked so far. I am new at this; you may have more knowledge than I but the people here should be doctors. Nothing but great help.

Ask for help before you start cutting leaves. I post and wait for a response before doing anything and it has worked so far. I am new at this; you may have more knowledge than I but the people here should be doctors. Nothing but great help.
I will definitely do some research before I cut anything. I’ve came too far to mess it all up now

The big 7/9/11 fingered leaves are fan leaves which soak up most of the light and provide starches to feed the growing tips, so it it not advisable to remove too many unless they are obviously expired

Some growers just pull out dying leaves
I pull out those leaves plus the tiny buds under the canopy, because they won't frost up to proper bud and take hours to fiddly-trim and not worth the effort for a few blunts worth
I also thin out to remove or tuck any large fan leaves obscuring a reasonable bud site or overlapping another leaf, which can cause damp spots
Some growers simply remove everything on the lower third of the plant to try to make the top colas fatter

Everyone has slightly different grow rationale, most of which work fine - so take your pick and think; whichever seems to make most sense to you

The big 7/9/11 fingered leaves are fan leaves which soak up most of the light and provide starches to feed the growing tips, so it it not advisable to remove too many unless they are obviously expired

I pull out those leaves plus the tiny buds under the canopy, because they won't frost up to proper bud and take hours to fiddly-trim and not worth the effort for a few blunts worth
I also thin out to remove or tuck any large fan leaves obscuring a reasonable bud site or overlapping another leaf, which can cause damp spots
Some growers simply remove everything on the lower third of the plant to try to make the top colas fatter

Everyone has slightly different grow rationale, most of which work fine - so take your pick and think; whichever seems to make most sense to you
Thank you for the explanation and example. I will look into what I will do

While reading through some stuff I seen a few different answers. It wasn't said often but some mentioned not cutting on the plant after 6 weeks because its too stressful. They said to use some side lighting if you wanted to save the lower buds. I am at week 9 day 63 for this plant so I'm not sure if I should do nothing, add light or trim. Any advise?

I did not do any LST because I was unsure how to start it and was a bit scared to mess up another grow. Now that the plant has started to fill out I can see where I should have pulled it down. There are a lot of buds that get little light even with my reflectors. Next grow I'm sure I'll do better after all this.

While reading through some stuff I seen a few different answers. It wasn't said often but some mentioned not cutting on the plant after 6 weeks because its too stressful. They said to use some side lighting if you wanted to save the lower buds. I am at week 9 day 63 for this plant so I'm not sure if I should do nothing, add light or trim. Any advise?

I did not do any LST because I was unsure how to start it and was a bit scared to mess up another grow. Now that the plant has started to fill out I can see where I should have pulled it down. There are a lot of buds that get little light even with my reflectors. Next grow I'm sure I'll do better after all this.
I would do a light trim of the weakest leaves at the bottom, just thin it out a little

LST can be as simple as bending the top over to allow side shoots to develop, choosing your best 8 colas and pegging them into a direct light space; once you have a canopy, much of what is below that, I chop
sweet-zombie-first-LST.JPG
8-cola-canopy.JPG

I have a question about the current grow I’m doing in coco. Last week I started to get some yellowing in a few of my leafs but the rest of the plant looks healthy. I looked at some deficiency charts and a few days of forum searching but I couldn’t tell what was going on. The problem has gotten worse with more leafs turning yellow and some dying. Some even have red stems. Now a couple of them have spots.

Come to think of it this problem started after switching from veg to bloom nutes two weeks ago.

I’m new as this is only my second plant to make it past a seedling.

Autoflower Jack Herer 420
56 days since seed sprout
Growing in coco loco
5 gal fabric pot
Well water used
Feed right now is 1.5 to 2 days apart with fox farm liquid nutes.
5ml/gal cal mag
30ml/gal of liquid plant food
15ml/gal tiger bloom
(Was using grow big rather than tiger bloom a couple weeks ago)
PH water to 5.8-5.9 after all nutes added
Getting about 10% run off after using 3/4gal to 1gal

6464AEE1-19BB-4CE9-A30D-92D082B89385.jpeg

5588B2E0-638D-4276-93AF-624B432EAEF3.jpeg

DFF8C64F-6BD7-42FF-A62D-47A16BEBE819.jpeg

D104116D-78D1-4591-8123-D01C49436F13.jpeg
She needs npk she should get looking better within a week

I am not an expert on coco, but it seems to me that it might be something else besides just yellowing leaves during flowering. They don't look like that. Those usually look more natural. I am sure someone with more expertise than me should be able to chime in, but they might need more info. like,

1. What is your inflow EC
2. What is your run-off EC
3. Did you wash and prebuffer your coco with cal/mag ?

To me it appears like a cal / mag deficiency, however, I could be wrong. an experienced coco grower should be able to help, but if you can provide as much info as possible.

Nice looking plant and it does seem to be healthy even though some of the lower leaves have started to turn yellow.

I do not grow with a hydroponic method nor in coco coir or in Coco Loco but have read up on it several times. In the past I have used the Fox Farm line of fertilizer mixes and still follow the info from the company and have called them on questions about their products.

The quoted part from you first msg is an important clue as to what might be going on.

Need a bit more info. I understand why many Fox Farm growers will switch over from Grow Big to Tiger Bloom and why some of them recommend doing it. That switch can be contributing to the yellow leaves showing up at this time.

You mention "30ml/gal of liquid plant food" and I take it that this is part of the current feeding schedule along with the Cal-Mag and Tiger Bloom. What is the name of this liquid plant food? What are the N-P-K numbers?

I am not an expert on coco, but it seems to me that it might be something else besides just yellowing leaves during flowering. They don't look like that. Those usually look more natural. I am sure someone with more expertise than me should be able to chime in, but they might need more info. like,

1. What is your inflow EC
2. What is your run-off EC
3. Did you wash and prebuffer your coco with cal/mag ?

To me it appears like a cal / mag deficiency, however, I could be wrong. an experienced coco grower should be able to help, but if you can provide as much info as possible.
I do not have numbers for the EC in and out but I can get some numbers tomorrow after feeding.

I did not wash and pre buffer the coco loco. I was told it was good to go. There were no signs of problems until after flowering started.

Back
Top Bottom