Autos v. Photos - A 5x5 No Rules Fight for Yield: A Jon & NickHardy Gig

Is the trim bin your own design or something you purchased? Could you share a pic or two please?
For you @Carmen Ray? I suppose so. Lol!

This one made by HarvestMore is the specific and exact one I use. There are others that are very similar and now lots of them. I like this one cuz it has the highest walls I could find at the time I got it.

Hint: if you want to tweak the process even more, you can easily get a roll of screen that’s one size smaller than the one it comes equipped with, and switch them out after doing a whole gallon of trim as I described to the smaller screen. It requires a simple screwdriver and piece of screen cut to size. That will minimize green even more and you could, arguably, get another smallish load out of each batch. That’s too much work and back and forth for me. And the danger of green is not worth that effort imo. But people do it, and the switch is simple.

IMG_5841.jpeg

For you @Carmen Ray? I suppose so. Lol!

This one made by HarvestMore is the specific and exact one I use. There are others that are very similar and now lots of them. I like this one cuz it has the highest walls I could find at the time I got it.

Hint: if you want to tweak the process even more, you can easily get a roll of screen that’s one size smaller than the one it comes equipped with, and switch them out after doing a whole gallon of trim as I described to the smaller screen. It requires a simple screwdriver and piece of screen cut to size. That will minimize green even more and you could, arguably, get another smallish load out of each batch. That’s too much work and back and forth for me. And the danger of green is not worth that effort imo. But people do it, and the switch is simple.

IMG_5841.jpeg
That's fabulous. I must find out if they are in the country! I guess I could cut the bottom out of a cardboard box, fix a screen to it and have a make-shift trim bin. Do you think that could work?

That's fabulous. I must find out if they are in the country! I guess I could cut the bottom out of a cardboard box, fix a screen to it and have a make-shift trim bin. Do you think that could work?
Probably would work with the right mesh screen. I gave it a go with an 80 mesh (177 micron) pottery glaze bowl strainer. It wasn't really fine enough to keep the plant matter out but it wasn't terrible!

I keep wanting these three to be finished so badly. They just won’t finish. They refuse. Lol. If that “never turn white” trichome thing is indeed reality, I know these strains and it’s not in play here. They’re just slow as hell. Closer, but slow.

Cherry Pie:

Skywalker:

Bruce Banner #3:

Would you guys take any of them? Not me. They ain’t ready yet. Goddamnit.
Nope 👎! CL🍀

It’s essentially the same thing but part of the magic is banging it around. Not sure you could do that part with cardboard. Plus, I don’t trim into the bin, but some do. That’s what the arm rest divots in the shape are for. I’d personally bite the bullet and spend the $45. It’s a one time last forever easy sorta thing.

But the question remains whether or not it’s fluffy or not? Still it’s a nice looking bud btw. CL🍀
Is that a serious question? Here, I’ll let the wake up shots answer that for you. Note the weight causing even the smallest colas to begin falling over. And I don’t know how to capture density in a photo but I tried. Yes they’re dense as hell.

IMG_5843.jpeg

IMG_5845.jpeg

Probably would work with the right mesh screen. I gave it a go with an 80 mesh (177 micron) pottery glaze bowl strainer. It wasn't really fine enough to keep the plant matter out but it wasn't terrible!
Good point Shed. It comes with a 150. I know a 200 is too small and even the kief won’t fall through. Not sure if there’s something between 150 and 200.

I have done it more than once, but sure I’ll sum it up. Thought about it but figured I was repeating myself too much.

The way I do it, it is part patience, part freezer, and part crushing technique.

Patience:
You gotta wait til the trim is dry as a bone. I put mine under a fan to accelerate the process. This is vitally important.

Freezer:
If drying it completely is first, the freezer is next. I put the trim into gallon storage bags. Then I suck the air out. This is also very important. If you freeze your trim before it’s super dry or fail to remove the air from the bag before freezing, all that effort is for naught. The air will condense as soon as you remove it from the freezer and it hits the tray with moisture. Or the moisture in it will freeze and thaw in the tray. Once the air is out just freeze the bag or bags overnight.

Crushing Technique:
Now you have the empty trim bin and a frozen bag of trim. Do not dump a whole gallon of trim into the bin at one time. More like a third to half at the most. That way you are maxing the removal on each batch. When you overload, you leave a ton on the table and if you try to rekief it you will get green. Green is death to kief. So only enough at a time to cover the bottom an inch or two.

Then - I use a bare hand. Shake the trim to one side. Grab a big handful and move to center (open area) of bin, near center of screen. Then, with a flat palm, GENTLY cover as much as you can and press down lightly on the trim while using a circular, rotating motion to break that handful down. A rotating motion is far more effective than back and forth. If you have done it right, this will break down relatively quickly. Then grab another handful and repeat til you got it all. Then put it all in the middle and do a final light pass to get broken down anything you missed. DO NOT CRUSH IT TO DUST. If you do you’ll get a ton of green. The idea is to break it down completely without making any dust.

When that batch is done, set it aside. It’s done for kiefing but if you’re a butter/edibles person it still has enough juice for that too. Repeat for entire bag, setting aside each batch as you do it in a box or whatever.

Then, last step, re-dump the entire gallon you began with, now set aside for edibles, back into the bin. DO NOT TOUCH IT WITH YOUR HANDS. Instead, shake it to the center and take the whole bin, lift it off a table, and bang it onto the table as hard as you can without spilling it all. Do that two or three times.

Remove top screen part of bin, use small brush to transfer to storage container. You’ll have more than you imagined was possible every time.

I let mine sit out in a bowl for as many days as necessary to make sure it is bone bone dry before permanently jarring. You can jar it less than super dry if you like, and if you let it sit that was for like a year, it will cure, get better, and become what I call “half-hash.” Or I just top bong hits with a dash when I want to or need to for pain.

Did that do it @Azimuth?
Wow! Thanks @Jon . I don't recall you posting that in that detail before so thank you.

:thanks:

Trizkit Photo

Warning: explicit content (not kidding)

I won the war this morning with this plant.

I am periodically criticized here, either via sarcasm, or DM and direct comment, or a joke with an edge….for being fricking humble. Of all things. Criticized for that. As if it’s a put on or something. I have always stopped short of addressing this the way I really feel about it, but it’s the perfect opportunity. Not only have I just recently heard this AGAIN, I have a plant to make my point with.

I’ve even heard things like, stop with the fake humility.

The point I want to make applies to the most recent expert to “call me out” on this bullshit. I am breaking my rule to keep this sort of stuff in DMs cuz I want this to die here and now.

If you ever want to seriously get under my skin, it’s easy. Accuse me of being fake. Douchebag. You don’t know a goddamn thing about me.

I am who I am. I present myself as I am. Jon is my real name. I’ve never faked a photo, a yield count, or anything else here. I don’t do that in real life, why in the fuck would I do it here? And I’m sure as shit not going to misrepresent who the fuck I am. That’s for fucking posers.

It isn’t that I’m endlessly humble. Trust me, my ego matches most anyone’s here. The simple truth is that you guys think I’m a much better grower than I actually am. I have an ego but I believe in accurate self assessment. There are literally TONS AND TONS OF BETTER GROWERS THAN ME HERE. That is simply reality. And you know what? It’s most likely the case for you too. If you know what the fuck is actually up. I’m good at what I know but I know nothing. Not in the larger scheme of things. Caveat: I’ll bet I’m a better grower than the asshole who inspired this post.

If one knows that, what in the FUCK business would that person have NOT being humble?

I like being real about that. It keeps me engaged, motivated to get better, asking questions, and learning all the time. It’s also the goddamn truth.

So yes, I have an ego. Wanna see it? I’ll show you guys this time cuz I can.

Look at these pictures carefully. This is unquestionably advanced training that most people here would be incapable of. It’s spectacular. For people with legs. For someone in a wheelchair it’s one step short of unbelievable. Very few people have what it takes to do this. Especially from where this plant was when she left the contest tent. I know this to be true. 90% or more of you would fuck it up completely. Some shit I DO know. And I know a little bit about training.

There. Hope anyone who this post applies to (you know who you are) feels a little better. This plant is unreal and is going to produce like mad now. If you wonder why I show a closeup on what appears to be a relatively easy 90 degree branch turn, consider this: one - the branch is almost all wood, and two - that bend is attached to the branch I broke. No guts no glory.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

IMG_5859.jpeg

IMG_5860.jpeg

IMG_5855.jpeg

IMG_5851.jpeg

IMG_5856.jpeg

IMG_5852.jpeg

IMG_5858.jpeg

Trizkit Photo

Warning: explicit content (not kidding)

I won the war this morning with this plant.

I am periodically criticized here, either via sarcasm, or DM and direct comment, or a joke with an edge….for being fricking humble. Of all things. Criticized for that. As if it’s a put on or something. I have always stopped short of addressing this the way I really feel about it, but it’s the perfect opportunity. Not only have I just recently heard this AGAIN, I have a plant to make my point with.

I’ve even heard things like, stop with the fake humility.

The point I want to make applies to the most recent expert to “call me out” on this bullshit. I am breaking my rule to keep this sort of stuff in DMs cuz I want this to die here and now.

If you ever want to seriously get under my skin, it’s easy. Accuse me of being fake. Douchebag. You don’t know a goddamn thing about me.

I am who I am. I present myself as I am. Jon is my real name. I’ve never faked a photo, a yield count, or anything else here. I don’t do that in real life, why in the fuck would I do it here? And I’m sure as shit not going to misrepresent who the fuck I am. That’s for fucking posers.

It isn’t that I’m endlessly humble. Trust me, my ego matches most anyone’s here. The simple truth is that you guys think I’m a much better grower than I actually am. I have an ego but I believe in accurate self assessment. There are literally TONS AND TONS OF BETTER GROWERS THAN ME HERE. That is simply reality. And you know what? It’s most likely the case for you too. If you know what the fuck is actually up. I’m good at what I know but I know nothing. Not in the larger scheme of things. Caveat: I’ll bet I’m a better grower than the asshole who inspired this post.

If one knows that, what in the FUCK business would that person have NOT being humble?

I like being real about that. It keeps me engaged, motivated to get better, asking questions, and learning all the time. It’s also the goddamn truth.

So yes, I have an ego. Wanna see it? I’ll show you guys this time cuz I can.

Look at these pictures carefully. This is unquestionably advanced training that most people here would be incapable of. It’s spectacular. For people with legs. For someone in a wheelchair it’s one step short of unbelievable. Very few people have what it takes to do this. Especially from where this plant was when she left the contest tent. I know this to be true. 90% or more of you would fuck it up completely. Some shit I DO know. And I know a little bit about training.

There. Hope anyone who this post applies to (you know who you are) feels a little better. This plant is unreal and is going to produce like mad now. If you wonder why I show a closeup on what appears to be a relatively easy 90 degree branch turn, consider this: one - the branch is almost all wood, and two - that bend is attached to the branch I broke. No guts no glory.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

IMG_5859.jpeg

IMG_5860.jpeg

IMG_5855.jpeg

IMG_5851.jpeg

IMG_5856.jpeg

IMG_5852.jpeg

IMG_5858.jpeg
WooHoo!

Sorry if I upset you!

Is that a serious question? Here, I’ll let the wake up shots answer that for you. Note the weight causing even the smallest colas to begin falling over. And I don’t know how to capture density in a photo but I tried. Yes they’re dense as hell.

IMG_5843.jpeg

IMG_5845.jpeg
I’m gonna have to take you @ your word on that one. CL🍀

Don't the hole sizes get bigger as the numbers get higher? 25 micron is the finest on my bubble bags and 200 is the largest.

Anyway, your kief looks clean AF!
That's what I said!
@HashGirl (and maybe others) corrected me though.
Apparently mesh sizes are the opposite. The 25 microns refers to mow many microns the holes are in the screen, but mesh sizes are like gauges of wire.

WooHoo!

Sorry if I upset you!
Lol! Not you @MedScientist! In fact, I believe it’s you to whom I feel I owe a small apology. Wasn’t it you who brought up the clear trichome thing? I was unhappy with myself for my response to you after that. It was very dismissive and know it all-ish. My bad and my apologies.

Don't the hole sizes get bigger as the numbers get higher? 25 micron is the finest on my bubble bags and 200 is the largest.

Anyway, your kief looks clean AF!
I may have it backwards, but I bought a piece of 200 screen to check Brix with, cuz I thought it would maybe produce a drop of liquid easier, and it was way finer than the 150 in the tray. So idk Shed. ????

That's what I said!
@HashGirl (and maybe others) corrected me though.
Apparently mesh sizes are the opposite. The 25 microns refers to mow many microns the holes are in the screen, but mesh sizes are like gauges of wire.
Thanks! I was confused too

Lol! Not you @MedScientist! In fact, I believe it’s you to whom I feel I owe a small apology. Wasn’t it you who brought up the clear trichome thing? I was unhappy with myself for my response to you after that. It was very dismissive and know it all-ish. My bad and my apologies.
WooHoo!

I didn't think it was me... but I've been married 33 years now and I have learned to apologize right away, and things usually settle down once I do!

I can't believe anyone would give you $hit on a Cannabis Grow forum. I really Enjoy your content, and I recognize your Spectacular abilities despite being ugly, or whatever YOU said! ❤️

Back
Top Bottom