Stunger's Last Stand: Banned To The Balcony!

We're now in the final month of winter here in the land of the long white cloud. It gets a bit mind numbing being away from outdoor growing over these non growing months. I had meant to amend the soil of my final containers by now, but I'm promising myself I'll do so this week. Next month I'll be looking to germinate the next season's beans.

So anyway, over the dark months of winter while I was pining for the sun's warmth to return to the soil. I started suffering a painful bout of GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) which was satiated by this arrival yesterday, so for a short round of...

What's in the box?:tommy:

:slide:

It took about 10 weeks from the 7 week order time and 3 week delivery, but after struggling with grinders that gum up badly I am really stoked to finally get a grinder that is really well machined and should be a grinder that will last for life. I won't mention the name as they are not sponsors and I am just rapt to finally have a quality grinder. The point of distinction with this that it truely turns about a magnetic centre rather than turning about the rim because rim inertia, so if has a real buttery smooth torque power feeling to it. :hookah:

It really is a beautiful grinder, super smooth and easy to turn, everything about it feel really well machined and designed, a few taps after grinding and it all falls thru the teeth into the base, no mucking around picking mull out of the teeth. It'll potentially last several lifetimes, I hope I've passed it on when the time comes, instead of leaving in my pocket when it's my turn at the crematorium!

Today, I amended the soil of my containers. I was pleased to see a few worms still present. For what it's worth the ingredients I topped up with are as follows;

2021 organic soil amendments based on 30L container ( or ‘*’ for 50L)

2/3 cup (*1 cup) Blood n Bone
2/3 cup (*1 cup) Kelp meal
1/3 cup (*1/2 cup Neem powder
1/3 cup (*1/2 cup) Fish meal
1/3 cup (*1/2 cup) Guano phosphate
2/3 cup (*1 cup) Malted barley (diastatic)
2/3 cup (*1 cup) Seafood Lush Fert mix
1/3 cup (*1/2 cup) Gypsum
1 cup (*1.5 cup) Chicken manure (composted with sawdust)
1 cup (*1.5 cup) Dried shrimp wash/soaked to remove salt
1 tsp Humic/Fulvic acids
1 tsp Fish Hydrolysate

Be well everyone! :ganjamon:

Next month I'll be looking to germinate the next season's beans.
Do you know what beans and how many? I look forward to your journals, they are a always insightful and fun to follow. Whats on the menu this year?

Thank Stinker, I am still trying to decide. :smokin:
Before I started growing I figured the toughest part would be actually growing the weed, but what I've discovered is that the hardest part is deciding which strain to grow. My next one is coming up in 5 weeks and I've looked at over 40 different strains and still cant decide what I wanna grow next. Leaning towards chemdog, motorbreath, and gg4

Before I started growing I figured the toughest part would be actually growing the weed, but what I've discovered is that the hardest part is deciding which strain to grow. My next one is coming up in 5 weeks and I've looked at over 40 different strains and still cant decide what I wanna grow next. Leaning towards chemdog, motorbreath, and gg4
I completely know what you mean, it is very tricky as it's real commitment in time too, in my case my grows go for up to 7 months or so. I am still hankering for memories of weed from the distant past. :smokin:

I have 3 different (sizes and brands) grinders and find that they all require periodic cleaning with alcohol.

I have 3 different (sizes and brands) grinders and find that they all require periodic cleaning with alcohol.
I am sure you're right there Beez, especially if using moist sticky bud compared to drier bud.
My other 2 grinders turn about their rims and I find they are prone to quickly gumming up and seizing, my new one turns about it's centre and feels extremely free turning so you give it a few taps and when opened everything has fallen thru and sitting in the bottom, which is something I am not used to as I've always had to use a toothpick to get the mull off the teeth, this is a actually a pleasure to use.

I am sure you're right there Beez, especially if using moist sticky bud compared to drier bud.
My other 2 grinders turn about their rims and I find they are prone to quickly gumming up and seizing, my new one turns about it's centre and feels extremely free turning so you give it a few taps and when opened everything has fallen thru and sitting in the bottom, which is something I am not used to as I've always had to use a toothpick to get the mull off the teeth, this is a actually a pleasure to use.
I'd love to hear your thoughts on it in a few months. I know it wasn't a cheap one :)

Cob update

The Mango Sherbert and Godfather OG both seemed to have worked well being cobbed. The Strawberry Cough unfortunately seems to have little 'punch', even it's cured buds only seem to give the barest of highs and yet I let it run to the full flowering period recommended by the breeder. The other 2 plants were probably allowed to flower for 3 weeks longer than the breeder suggested period, and when it came to giving them the chop at first I wasn't going to chop the Strawberry Cough but as it had completed the full breeder suggested flowering and the Autumn weather was changing I decided to make it easy for myself and chop the lot at the same time. The other 2 plants I let run longer because I have preferred to see some amber trichomes before chopping, I didn't see any on the Strawberry Cough which didn't start flowering until 2 weeks later than the other 2, and now in hindsight I wish I let it run for longer, as now I don't know whether the flowering period was wrong or whether the genetics were not so strong. So I'll try it further in time but at the moment I am feeling the my Strawberry Cough buds and cobs are a waste for a decent high.

They say Cobs should be aged for at least 3 months, the longer the better. After finishing the fermentation period I let them dry and then re-vac sealed them for 'ageing'. I cut some samples from them first for some early testing.

When I open the jar containing the samples, there is a funky, terpy, sweet smell, it is a bit hard to describe but it has me enjoying the sniffing.

Consuming
I tried consuming some once by cutting off a bit from the Godfather OG and chewing it, I wouldn't give the taste of chewing it a michelin star but it was interesting that I got a good effect off it considering the cobs were made out of raw buds, without any active decarbing.

Vaping
For vaping I have tried to cut it very fine but as it is kind of sticky in a sort of hash like way, it is quite tricky to cut it fine as it easily clumps together. But having said that, I tried it in my dynavap and it seems to vaporise quite adequately, the chopped up cobbed bud is probably more concentrated than the normal dried cured ground bud that I use to vape.

I gave some to a grow buddy and after the first toke he said, wow it is so smooth, that was interesting as I forgot to mention that to him beforehand. That was something I had read about by folk in Africa who said cobbed weed didn't hurt their chest like dried weed did when they smoked it.

Altho this testing is just from early samples, the effect when compared to the cured ground bud seems more 'refined', a bit clearer, less scattered and more concentrated. From the differences felt after vaping the cured bud, the cobbed bud seems a bit stronger. My buddy thought so too, but it may just be the effect of something new or the way it seems to refine the effect.

Storage
Anyway, cobs seem a handy way to store buds for potentially years, where they can take up a lot less space than jarred bud and can fairly easier be hiden away for storage.

Here's some pictures to show off the interesting texture and appearance of the cobbed bud.
Mango Sherbert (L), Godfather OG(R)

Mango Sherbert

Godfather OG

As it is winter time here in the outdoors, I have nothing growing at the moment, but I will carry out some re-ammending of my pots soon in preparation for Spring!

Thanks for dropping in and I hope your gardens and plants are doing great! :hookah:
Hi Stunger, how are the cobs aging? They sure do look nice.

Hi Stunger, how are the cobs aging? They sure do look nice.
Hey stinker, thanks, ideally its best to let cobs cure for a few months, the longer the better. They can apparently then last years like that. I did cut a small sample off each of them before re vac-sealing them to continue a long term cure. I haven't really been using the cob samples since then except for the occasional vapcap, as when using it in the vapcap it tends to take a tiny bit longer preparing it by cutting it up fine from the cob, and so far I have been mostly using dry herb and keeping the cobs for a future rainy day as they do store nice and compact. However your question has put the cobs front and centre of my mind, so I will run some Mango Sherbert cob thru my vapcap as a top up now! :ganjamon:

Hope you enjoyed the cobvape. I didn't realize they were still curing. I'm thinking about making a couple myself from this years outdoor. They are pretty!

Hope you enjoyed the cobvape. I didn't realize they were still curing. I'm thinking about making a couple myself from this years outdoor. They are pretty!
Vaping the cobbed bud works fine, my brother and I both notice how it seems to smoke/vape smoother. I learnt a lot with making that batch and will do so again. It is also a useful way to store some your stash!
I just cleaned all the gum from my grinder last week. Stopped short! Hehe, hope yours does better! Looks like it!
There's a few highly spoken of grinders no doubt. But this is the only high end one that I have ever had, so I'm probably easy to please but still, it works so nicely, I'm rapt with it, it is really quality made and designed, probably the best piece of herb related kit that I've got!

Back
Top Bottom