Stunger's Last Stand: Banned To The Balcony!

Bump!
Must be almost time? :green_heart:
Hey Dohc funny you mention it, last night I scarified and soaked 3 beans and planted them today in their starter pots. I didn't wait for their tap roots to show, hopefully in a few days they'll raise their heads to let me know they're ok.

What is on the menu for 2022?
Inquiring minds want to know. ;)
Mulanje, a landrace sativa from Malawi.

I have no idea how they'll do, as where I am is not usually considered similar to Africa, however cannabis can be a real survivor so I can only try and see what happens. But for now they're sitting in soil so I am hoping they'll erupt healthily any day soon. I didn't wait for them to show a tap root, I just scarified and soaked them for 12 hours in a 6:1 dilution of 3% peroxide and planted them. Last grow I had more than one dreadful instance of a seed with it's shell membrane stuck on it so with these I just thought I'd trust nature and put them straight to soil without waiting for a tap root - fingers crossed!

I just ordered some Malawi seeds from Ace Seeds. Supposed to be a real killer strain. Will be watching how yours do. Cheers

P.S. In fact, I think it's called Malawi Killer

Hey @Emeraldo, how do you see the Malawi Killer going in your neck of the woods, do you have any concern with the latitude you're at compared to Malawi? Sometimes, I am a little surprised at the suggested latitude range for various strains, because where I am the weather does drop off a bit in Autumn when it becomes distinctly colder and darker. I am thinking of that gutsy effort of the Arjan's Haze #1 you grew a couple of years ago that took forever to flower and you eventually had to put a heater in with it as it was getting so cold at night. I am wondering how these Mulanje will go for me outdoors rather a long way south of Africa.

Anyway, I took a look at my starter pots this evening and all 3 Mulanje seeds have sprouted and broken cover. I soaked and planted them without waiting for tap roots to show to hopefully let them properly cast off their 'helmets', and I am pleased to say that all 3 have broken the surface membrane free.
:hookah:

Hey @Emeraldo, how do you see the Malawi Killer going in your neck of the woods, do you have any concern with the latitude you're at compared to Malawi? Sometimes, I am a little surprised at the suggested latitude range for various strains, because where I am the weather does drop off a bit in Autumn when it becomes distinctly colder and darker. I am thinking of that gutsy effort of the Arjan's Haze #1 you grew a couple of years ago that took forever to flower and you eventually had to put a heater in with it as it was getting so cold at night. I am wondering how these Mulanje will go for me outdoors rather a long way south of Africa.

Anyway, I took a look at my starter pots this evening and all 3 Mulanje seeds have sprouted and broken cover. I soaked and planted them without waiting for tap roots to show to hopefully let them properly cast off their 'helmets', and I am pleased to say that all 3 have broken the surface membrane free.
:hookah:
Hey Stungi -- thanks for your thoughts. Maybe a cool autumn is a good thing. If the plants have a good summer into say late September, it's do-able to enhance the grow environment for a few weeks.

As long as temps don't drop to freezing and it starts snowing while you're waiting to harvest, then it gets worrisome.
:lot-o-toke:

I've actually got the heaters going outside in the grow zone now, the temps drop every night to 40 F / 4 C now, but the plants are enjoying 80 F / 25 C during the day and down to 55 F / 12 C at night. I keep the humidity up to around 45-50% now, with a humidifier because the heaters dry the air. I guess I am trying to replicate an indoor grow outdoors... Hee haw haw

Glad to hear you've started your grow! That will comfort us all in the northern lattitudes over the cold winter months, and giving me a vicarious way of enjoying a grow even in the dead of winter. Bring it on! Also looking forward to your experience with Malawi.

I was reading up on Ace Seeds' haze strains. They have the Oldtimer's Haze, which is said to need around 140 days of flowering. That would put harvest at my lattitude in late January or early February, so I don't think that one would be the easy one to go with.

Ace has Malawi Killer, Purple Haze x Malawi, and a new one called "Super Malawi Haze" (M x Neville's Haze). These are all regular and outdoor only. The "plain malawi" is said to need 88 days flowering, so that one will definitely work here and be harvestable in early November. Purple Haze x Malawi: 102 days, so into mid- to late November. But Super Malawi Haze is said to need 95 days, so she would be a go, ripe in mid-November.

But yeah, am looking for a warmer grow location.

Cheers,

Emeraldo

:green_heart:

Bugger! It turns out I'm not the only one around here that thought Mulanje might be tasty. Over night a slug has chomped off the head of one of my Mulanje seedlings, right off at the stalk!

Yesterday I sprinkled snail and slug pellets around the pots, and this morning there were a number of dead slugs on the paving stones but one obviously got through. In hindsight I should have prepared and baited the slugs a couple of weeks prior to rid the site of them. Anyway, to help protect the 2 remaining seedlings I scattered more pellets around their pots.

Now, what I am I going to replace it with.. :smokin:

The Malawi should finish up. I grow them outdoors in winter for breeding and the ones that grow do just as a plant going 12/12. For a proper Malawi you are looking at least 3 months after flower Set for harvest. Winter here is Gardens Cape Town. You can do some looking and see howwhat far you are off. Muuch better terps ( like waaaay better) in cooler climate. Will take all the light she can get and if genuine should be mold resistant. The buds are denser in cooler temps but still not enough to worry about rot. Cheers.Hope the info helped

I just read this whole journal. HOLY CRAP. Stunger, the training job on the Godfather OG was just incredible. I see this is what you do. DAMN. You created almost the same kind of canopy I have going on my plants, only you did it almost all with LST and Supercropping, yes? Incredible. And WAY easier than my way. And, you can make bigger canopies than I'd ever be able to using my method apparently too - the supercropping increases your branch strength in so many spots the plant can support more, yes? I am so impressed, man, sorry I took so long to read your journal. WOW. And the yield! Half a pound? GOD, I love it. So impressed.

:woohoo:

I just read this whole journal. HOLY CRAP. Stunger, the training job on the Godfather OG was just incredible. I see this is what you do. DAMN. You created almost the same kind of canopy I have going on my plants, only you did it almost all with LST and Supercropping, yes? Incredible. And WAY easier than my way. And, you can make bigger canopies than I'd ever be able to using my method apparently too - the supercropping increases your branch strength in so many spots the plant can support more, yes? I am so impressed, man, sorry I took so long to read your journal. WOW. And the yield! Half a pound? GOD, I love it. So impressed.

:woohoo:
Cheers for the kind words Jon. In my circumstances training anything I grow on the balcony is the mother of necessity if I want to keep it stealthy from the neighbours.

:morenutes:

edit: I used LST and supercropping on all 3 plants, but with the Godfather OG I also quadlined her. I feel supercropping does indeed increase branch strength and structure of the plant.

Back
Top Bottom