Sweet Yet Haunted Seedsman's Purple Ghost Candy Comparative

Good Sunday morning GDB! Yes she's shaping up as she matures. Thanks for noticing! :hookah: I'm really looking forward to seeing some flowers!
They'll be there in a few blinks!

How you feeling about monitoring DLI?

I'm really anticipating some better outcomes because of it. I've long-suspected that I've been doing something wrong near the end of my grows. My plants seem to get "overdone," for lack of a better word. I'm hoping that paying attention to the DLI instead of just cranking the light up near the end will help! :Rasta:

Looking Good Stone!❤️😊👊.

For what it's worth... The Durban Poison I usually grow gets funky above 950 PPFD. TMSC's seem to be good at 1100. I'm not sure what that equates to in DLI, but each strain seems to be different, so I think you are onto something good here👊
Also, I tried UV supplementation last grow and knocked 5 days off flower time, but the end product wasn't as tasty. I won't use it again.

Stone your plant looks great how long will she stay in that tent and if you do not mind what size is it. 🍋
Hi Keith, this is her home and will finish here. She's about a foot tall yesterday so a little taller today. Probably close to 2 feet around in one direction 1.5 the other. Oh the tent, it's 40 inches square x 6 feet high.
They'll be there in a few blinks!

How you feeling about monitoring DLI?

I'm really anticipating some better outcomes because of it. I've long-suspected that I've been doing something wrong near the end of my grows. My plants seem to get "overdone," for lack of a better word. I'm hoping that paying attention to the DLI instead of just cranking the light up near the end will help! :Rasta:
I'm feeling much better really. It's something I didn't think I wanted or needed but the plants have done much better to my eye so far, and the electric co has less of my $$! Flowering will tell the story I think. That crankup at the end will be substituted with a slight crankdown to my surprise!
Looking Good Stone!❤️😊👊.

For what it's worth... The Durban Poison I usually grow gets funky above 950 PPFD. TMSC's seem to be good at 1100. I'm not sure what that equates to in DLI, but each strain seems to be different, so I think you are onto something good here👊
You have an eye to be envious of Gee! One day mine will see the innuendos yours do.
Also, I tried UV supplementation last grow and knocked 5 days off flower time, but the end product wasn't as tasty. I won't use it again.
Thanks for clearing that path!

Flowering will tell the story I think. That crankup at the end will be substituted with a slight crankdown to my surprise!
This is something I got lazy about and did not do at the end of this last grow.

looking great there and she is finally taking off properly. No more grass sized grass:)

She is really putting on the stretch since I was 3 pages behind ! Training is going good from here looks Great !
That's a cool thing about growing weeds! Like race cars they grow!
This is something I got lazy about and did not do at the end of this last grow.

looking great there and she is finally taking off properly. No more grass sized grass:)
Yeah, it's one of those things that for me didn't seem high on the important scale. My bud has always tasted good to me. We'll se if there's a positive change!

ALMOST A WEEK OF STRETCH IN THE BOOK UPDATE

Hi all! :ciao: Stretch Armstrong has nothing on this girl! Purple Ghost Candy is moving up in the world! This is her at 6 days from flip. She's drinking about 3/4 of a gallon of ro water a day now, maybe a little more. I see lots of side branching happening in there. They're coming off to make room for all those colas though, in 2 weeks!

Side branching.

So far so good for week one after flip. I think the oval is starting to round out! I work on the canopy for a few minutes every day at water time. One or two adjustments and I'm off.

Getting tall

David says high and remember your sunscreen! I've been keeping up with DLI as she grows into the light by raising the light since flip. There's a slight weekly increase now (a couple of DLI points) so it's almost a wash to make it right. :thumb:Self adjusting. I don't have the number, it's downstairs, I'll get that.

I would take the side branches now, you’re wasting time, energy, calcium, and nitrogen on them. Plus, it’s less stressful for you to take them as they come instead of all at once. This will also improve airflow and light penetration where you want it most.

You want the final 3 nodes for flower on each cola. They’ll typically be staggered. Take side branches once you know there’s 3 nodes to build from for the cola.

I would take the side branches now, you’re wasting time, energy, calcium, and nitrogen on them. Plus, it’s less stressful for you to take them as they come instead of all at once. This will also improve airflow and light penetration where you want it most.

You want the final 3 nodes for flower on each cola. They’ll typically be staggered. Take side branches once you know there’s 3 nodes to build from for the cola.
I've had the thought that the plant is setting bud in these three ish weeks and I don't want to impede any of that. Your thought has merit too Keff. I usually wait for stretch to just about stop before I take them. 2 weeks in min I'm thinking. She just started setting pistils today. One more week should do it. 3 nodes for sweet fat buds huh? I'm in if they are!

Highya SO,

One gorgeous vigorous lady you have there! She's putting up colas all over!! Should be so floppy, laden with bud at harvest! She looks very happy!! Happy Smokin'

I've had the thought that the plant is setting bud in these three ish weeks and I don't want to impede any of that. Your thought has merit too Keff. I usually wait for stretch to just about stop before I take them. 2 weeks in min I'm thinking. She just started setting pistils today. One more week should do it. 3 nodes for sweet fat buds huh? I'm in if they are!

For anyone just observing,

Buds form from meristematic tissue at the tips. You can’t impede that by pruning elsewhere, you can however improve it by reducing inefficient resource use elsewhere. Every additional shoot grown degrades a plants calcium efficiency after a certain point, usually based on root size, typically in the 8-16 area.

Pruning mildly throughout the grow has been found to stimulate growth and help improve calcium efficiency. Whereas taking an entire portion of the plant at once signals restoration, save resources, build roots out. Both, very useful depending on your situation

Highya SO,

One gorgeous vigorous lady you have there! She's putting up colas all over!! Should be so floppy, laden with bud at harvest! She looks very happy!! Happy Smokin'
Mmmmm like The White Purple Mountains I hope they look like at harvest!
For anyone just observing,

Buds form from meristematic tissue at the tips. You can’t impede that by pruning elsewhere, you can however improve it by reducing inefficient resource use elsewhere. Every additional shoot grown degrades a plants calcium efficiency after a certain point, usually based on root size, typically in the 8-16 area.

Pruning mildly throughout the grow has been found to stimulate growth and help improve calcium efficiency. Whereas taking an entire portion of the plant at once signals restoration, save resources, build roots out. Both, very useful depending on your situation
I'm listening. Any source for that? It makes sense in that context.

Mmmmm like The White Purple Mountains I hope they look like at harvest!

I'm listening. Any source for that? It makes sense in that context.

Absolutely! I’ll grab them for you after work, probably this afternoon some time. One day I’ll remember to keep all the stuff I’ve read in one place instead of trying to remember keywords lol

Ok so for the shoots argument, I have a couple sources.

First is the role Calcium plays in cell wall structure and strength, especially in young growing shoots. Depending on the plant, each shoot will contain a specific amount of calcium, that it calls for to have delivered that it maintains. The actual concentrations vary, but the result is the same, every single growing shoot, and especially the young ones, are consuming vast amounts of calcium. The growth rate of these shoots will impact this even more, such as the explosive growth rate in bloom or that of a young branch trying to make it big.

That information can be found here:

Apple farmers are keenly aware of this, which is why during spring/summer they are constantly pruning their trees to prevent terminal growth. If they don’t do this they wind up with severe calcium problems that can ruin their entire harvest. While I have no farmers I can link to directly I can link you to a podcast from KIS Organics with Bryant Mason, a certified crop advisor. Episode 123, 10 minutes in.

What this information tells us is, every growing shoot we have is consuming calcium, right at its tips, always. So for every shoot we have growing, a specific amount of calcium is automatically tied up for its use. The younger and more explosive the growth, the more calcium being yanked away.

If our roots aren’t big enough to provide an adequate amount of calcium, our yields and quality will suffer. Dramatically in some cases, like bitter pit in Apples or blossom end rot in tomato’s.

This is also why calmag is recommend at the start of bloom. The growth rate of the shoots explodes and requires quite a bit more calcium.

You can take this a step further with a Calcium Use Efficiency formula and find out right where your own personal sweet spot is with some testing. The formula would be Shoot yield per unit of Ca accumulated in the shoot. That would be super useful for someone with a bottom line or a lot of boredom.

And on this page here you will find information on the different patterns and rules cannabis will follow in flower:

I found that one fascinating and fell down a rabbit hole of all the different ways flowers build

:rofl:

Crazy how the best bud I've ever smoked came from dirty ass hippies who wouldn't read that shit if you paid them. On the flip side... I've never had good cannabis come from a dude in a lab coat. LoL

Not trying to be offensive, but that seems like the shit someone posts when they're trying to sound smart, not someone speaking from their actual experience.

And on this page here you will find information on the different patterns and rules cannabis will follow in flower:

I found that one fascinating and fell down a rabbit hole of all the different ways flowers build
Thank you Keff! I'll have some time to see and read this and the other post tonight and tomorrow morning. :green_heart:

@StoneOtter - Your PGC look great compared to my clones which had bad nutes, cold & damp, wonky pH... but they're bouncing back

Seems to be quite a bit of genetic variation in how this strain grows
Me, @Keffka @MochaBud et al seem to have a stretchy pheno
You, @gwhunran @Jungle Joseph @Baron Von Blurple et al appear to have more stocky plants

Be interesting to see how it pans out

:rofl:

Crazy how the best bud I've ever smoked came from dirty ass hippies who wouldn't read that shit if you paid them. On the flip side... I've never had good cannabis come from a dude in a lab coat. LoL

Not trying to be offensive, but that seems like the shit someone posts when they're trying to sound smart, not someone speaking from their actual experience.

Never take offense from different perspectives or you’re gonna spend a lot of time upset about things you can’t change. I wouldn’t trust a hippy with my medical care but I also wouldn’t trust a doctor with my plants.

It’s the science behind what the dirty hippies were doing and why it worked. Some folks are okay just knowing stuff works, but that’s never been enough for me. Plus when someone asks you for a source you can’t really say “trust me it works” or they wouldn’t have asked for a source to begin with

Thank you Keff! I'll have some time to see and read this and the other post tonight and tomorrow morning. :green_heart:

No problem! I’m trying to find something a bit more rigorously vetted than old gardener anecdotes about light vs heavy pruning. A lot of where I got that was from the old ladies and their rose gardens and their pruning book. When they want to prune for vigor and growth they prune lightly, when they want to force the plant to build more roots and become more robust they prune heavily. We see it with clones when damaging or removing vegetation to force roots, and it’s applied to a lot of ornamentals.

I would like to see a bit of data to back that up though, people tend to hold on to secrets when divulging stuff like that so you never get quite the same results

Back
Top Bottom