Tok's First Mushroom Diary - Medical First/Recreation

Wow, thank you for stopping by @Ramblinrose1965 @Lady Cannafan and @CaptainLucky

Let me be the first to congratulate you on your future win of the Mushroom Grow Diary of the Month. I may be a little premature, but it looks like it might be a landslide. :rofl: :goof: Soon we will have more members interested in trying.

This is probably the way I will go, when and if I need to buy more boxes. The one's I have I picked up at the Dollar Store for $3.00 bucks each. I will be looking for others in the mean time.

TR
Gonna have to be you guys to root for. I am not eligible for the contests. Dang it! 😆

Dollar store is my favorite place. :)

Good Morning 420 shroomers

Not a lot of action growing mushrooms. Just watching the grass grow while I wait. :rofl:

Figure I was due for an update. Not a lot of action going on right now, just building mycelium and waiting for the next stage. As I mentioned earlier I did a break and shake on the UB Brown Rice bags, and waiting for recolonization. In the mean time the AIO bag is spreading in the bag more but still very slow. I have not checked the Rye Grain jar for mycelium, I will check later on in the week.

Here are some current images.

Well, back to watching the grass grow.

Be safe and grow well my friends,
Tok..

Gonna have to be you guys to root for. I am not eligible for the contests. Dang it! 😆

Dollar store is my favorite place. :)
I’m always buying stuff at the dollar store. Either for my weed growing or the house. But it’s like every time I go there I see something that I can use. lol CL🍀

Can you guess what time it is? your right time for an update on my mushroom experiments.

The UB Brown Rice bags are moving along slowly with the re-colonization of the mycelium. This was just mean to be an experiment to see if I can grow shroom out of a bag of rice. So, what ever happens it's it no great lose.

@Midwest Grow Kits AIO bag is still building mycelium and it does not look like it will be ready anytime soon. But, not all is disappointing news. The Rye grain jar I inoculated with 4ml of @Spore Genetics Tidal Wave is in the process of establishing mycelium growth. :tommy: I did a quick sneak peek to get images today.

Sorry no image of the AIO bag today.

That's all folk's.

Tok..

Since my AIO bag is moving so slow developing, I may inoculate a couple more grain jars to get this show on the road. I just don't feel good about the AIO bag taking so long to fill with mycelium, and I don't want to come up empty if it doesn't work.

I was so close to a harvest when I had to get read of everything, and now it seem like I need to do something to get this back on track. I will wait a few more days and inoculate another grain jar.

TR

How to Make a Mushroom Casing Layer
By Magic Mycology
March 28, 2022

If you’ve spent any time researching how to grow mushrooms, then you’ve likely come across the term “casing layer”. But what is it, why do some growers use a casing layer, where others do not, and what are the benefits? This article describes the benefits and drawbacks of using a casing layer, casing layer recipes, and the process to make a casing layer.

What Does a Casing Layer Do?

A casing layer helps to provide an ideal micro-climate for primordium (pins) to form. Additionally, the casing layer helps the colonized substrate retain its moisture as well as prevent contamination from competing organisms.

Benefits and function of a casing layer.

According to their bestselling book, The Mushroom Cultivator. Stamets and Chilton describe the four essential functions (benefits) of the casing layer as:

Protecting the colonized substrate from drying out.
Providing a humid micro-climate where mushroom primordia can form and develop.
Creating a water reservoir for the mushrooms as they grow and mature.
Supporting the growth of beneficial microorganisms. (Chilton and Stamets)

The Micro-climate:

At first glance, the casing layer appears to lay flat over the colonized substrate. However, at a micro-level, the casing layer actually provides small pockets of air between the colonized substrate and the casing materials. These “caverns” maintain high humidity levels and allow for slight fresh air exchange, which creates ideal conditions for pins to form.

Can you Get Larger Flushes When Using Casing Layers?

Yes! A casing layer can definitely help.

By optimizing your growing conditions, which includes using a casing layer, yields can be significantly increased. In fact, according to Stamets, the yield potential for P. Cubensis is approximately 2-4 pounds of fresh mushrooms per square foot, per 5-week growing period (Chilton and Stamets).

Drawbacks of a Casing Layer

Time – The primary drawback of a casing layer is the additional step in the cultivation process and the subsequent time for the mycelium to adapt and react to the new conditions. While this may seem to be a minor inconvenience, many home growers opt to skip this step entirely.

Over-Colonization/Overlay – Another drawback is the potential for complete overrun of the casing layer by the underlying mycelium. This condition, referred to as “overlay”, can result in a dense layer of mycelium growing on top of the casing layer which hinders the formation of pins and can halt growth altogether. Therefore, it is important to remain diligent in maintaining ideal fruiting conditions.

Over-Colonization/Overlay may be caused by the following:

Carbon dioxide levels that are too high (not enough air exchange)

The casing surface is too dry

The relative humidity of the air is too low

The temperature in the fruiting chamber is too high

If your substrate is already overlayed, you may scratch the surface of the mycelium using a fork or other object to promote pinning.

Over colonized tub

Example of over-colonized substrate

Quick Note: Pay Attention to pH Levels

Before making a casing layer it’s important to understand that your casing layer should have a higher pH level than the substrate used for colonization. A higher pH will help to inhibit molds from growing on the casing layer, as well as deter the mycelium from over-colonizing the casing layer. The ideal pH should be between 7-8.5 (Agriculture and Natural Resources 234).

Substrate Casing Layer Recipes

Below are three of the best casing layer recipes we’ve come across. Keep in mind that the ingredients you choose may have varying pH levels. Always test your casing layer using pH strips prior to use.

Stamets Casing Mix

Ingredients:

10 parts peat moss (use only 100% peat moss)

1 part calcium sulfate (gypsum)

1 part calcium carbonate (used to increase the pH, offsetting the acidity of the peat)

Distilled water (amount varies)

50/50 Casing Tek

Ingredients:

10 parts vermiculite

10 parts coco coir

2.5 parts crushed oyster shells (optional: used as a buffing agent for sustained pH)

0.5 parts hydrated lime

60/40 Casing Tek

Ingredients:

10 parts vermiculite

4 parts coco coir

2.5 parts crushed oyster shells (optional: used as a buffing agent for sustained pH)

0.5 parts calcium carbonate

While these are just a few examples, you may modify or create your own recipe depending on what you have on hand. Some growers use a 100% Coco Coir Casing Layer, or a pure Vermiculite Casing Layer with generally good results. Just remember to hydrate your ingredients to the proper capacity and always check the pH!

How to make a Monotub Casing Layer

Your casing mix can be used in a variety of different growing chambers and the process will be the same no matter the recipe you use. Keep in mind that the casing layer should not be “soupy”, but rather the drier the better. The water content of the end product should be roughly 60%-70%. See this post to learn how to find your substrates’ water content amount.

Steps:
  • Select a casing layer recipe and weigh out all of the dry ingredients.
  • Add all of your dry ingredients into a 5-gallon bucket or another mixing container.
  • Slowly add distilled water to the mixture, stopping to mix the ingredients together using a large wooden spoon, a clean hand, or another utensil. Important – wear gloves if mixing by hand.
  • Continue this process until you are only able to squeeze out a few drops when squeezing the casing. This will be in the general range of ideal moisture content of 75%. However, for precise moisture content measurement, you can use a hot oven or microwave method to determine the saturation level. Learn how to measure moisture content here. Add vermiculite or additional peat moss if the mixture is too moist.
  • Pull out a handful of casing mix and squeeze it over a pH strip. The ideal pH level is 7-8.5. Add pH adjusting ingredients as necessary. For reference: Water has a pH of 7, peat has a low pH and should be used to reduce the pH, and calcium carbonate and hydrated lime are used to increase the pH.
  • Pack your casing mixture into an oven-safe bag (large Ziploc bags seem to work) and place in the oven or water bath at a temperature of 140F to 170F for 1-2 hours.
  • Store in a dry place until ready for use.
When should you use the casing layer?

The casing layer should be used just before or just after the mycelium has fully colonized the bulk substrate. The casing layer colonization step takes place between the substrate colonization and fruiting steps.

How to apply a casing layer
  • To use the casing, you will first need to remove the lid from your monotub or growing chamber.
  • Using latex or surgical gloves, grab a handful of the casing and begin to spread a thin layer of casing over the top of the colonized substrate. Try to keep the casing layer at an even and uniform depth no greater than a half-inch deep.
  • Replace the lid of the growing chamber.
Next Step:

Many growers have their own preferences on how long they will wait to place into fruiting after applying the casing layer. This is considered the post-casing/pre-pinning stage and can take anywhere from a few days to a week. During this time, it is best to keep the grow chamber in a dark place, maintaining a relative humidity of 95% and an incubation temperature (75 – 80°F) (Shroomery)

After 1-3 days you should notice aggressive mycelium stretching upwards from the valleys in the casing layer. This is an indication that the mycelium is ready to be placed in pinning/fruiting conditions.

How to promote mushroom pinning:

Reduce CO2 buildup by introducing fresh air (fan or open vents)
Reduce the temperature to 70°-75°F
Introduce ambient light. No direct sunlight

And there you have it! Everything you never knew you wanted to know about mushroom casing layers.

Time for an quick update on the shroom farm.

The AIO bag has not developed enough to take an image and the UB Brown Rice bags are going nowhere fast.
It's the grain jar that is moving along at a nice pace. Building and spreading mycelium growth threw out the jar and on the bottom also.

That's all folk's.

Tok..

The AIO bag has not developed enough to take an image and the UB Brown Rice bags are going nowhere fast.
It's the grain jar that is moving along at a nice pace. Building and spreading mycelium growth threw out the jar and on the bottom also.

That's all folk's.

Tok..
Looking good!

That's all folk's.

Tok..
I know with my AIO bag that it seemed to take forever but once the mycelium gets going it’s mushies everywhere 🍄 . CL🍀

Thank you for stopping by @Ramblinrose1965 @CaptainLucky and @Lady Cannafan

I have all but given up on my AIO bag, and will chalk it up as listens learned.
I will still leave it in a dark area for now, just incase.

I will be inoculating another grain jar today or tomorrow, and when they are ready, into a shoebox they go. I will give the AIO bags another try in the future, but for now I seem do do better with grain jars.

Hopefully the Tidal Wave will be fruiting by the end of the month.

Tok..

Good Morning 420 Magazine

When I inoculated the UB Brown Rice bags with Pan Cyan I provided a discerption of the Mushroom. Well I forgot to do that with Tidal Wave so here goes.

TIDAL WAVE MUSHROOM

The Tidal Wave mushroom is a Psilocybe cubensis hybrid created by combining the powerful and distinctive Penis Envy with the adaptable and energetic B+ strain. Hybrids are generally developed to merge the best features of each parent, resulting in a superior version.

Analogous to a family tree's maternal and paternal lineages, mushrooms carry genetic heritage from both parent strains. The B+ side passes down genes from Psilocybe cubensis and Psilocybe azurescens, while the Penis Envy side contributes genes from the colossal Amazonian strain.

This genetic ancestry undeniably contributes to the Tidal Wave mushroom's impressive potency, which is among the highest at over 2% psilocybin.

Creating magic mushroom hybrids allows for the rectification of undesirable inherited traits. In the case of the Tidal Wave, the B+ lineage offers plentiful specimens and simpler research, while the unrivaled potency and appearance of Penis Envy add a distinctive aspect to the experience.

In the magic mushroom realm, it is well-established that the thick, phallic-shaped caps of Penis Envy mushrooms frequently remain closed and do not release spores, making research and observation more difficult. To guarantee easier and more fruitful research, the "easy research" genetics of the B+ cubensis were integrated. Thankfully, the hybridization process proved successful, and Tidal Wave mushroom strain spores are now abundant.

The in-vitro bubble enhances the ecosystem and isolates the desired traits of each specimen. Merging the genetic blueprints from various species unlocks boundless possibilities for exploration.

The expanding Tidal Wave community is undeniably dedicated to the study of magic mushrooms, with passionate myco-engineers nurturing a variety of Tidal Wave strains. These range from conventional cubensis classifications to robust-stemmed, Penis Envy-like specimens boasting slightly bigger caps.

As enthusiasm for magic mushroom research soars, Tidal Wave spores are being shared worldwide. Myco-engineers are investigating the potential to develop a stable variety that can generate sufficient spores for easy capturing and distribution.

Although neither B+ nor Penis Envy are particularly fast-growing, the interbreeding of these traits has led to the Tidal Wave mushroom strain becoming the ultimate chameleon. From beginning to end, the strain is a versatile and immensely potent force.

Indeed, crossbreeding has played a role in creating a more efficient strain. Where the thick bulbous cap of Penis Envy once occasionally opened, the B+ now yields receptive fruit bodies that readily release spores, streamlining microscopic research.

In the same way a tidal wave rapidly gains momentum, the Tidal Wave mushroom is quickly capturing the interest and admiration of both mycologists and researchers.

Thank you for stopping by @Ramblinrose1965 @CaptainLucky and @Lady Cannafan

I have all but given up on my AIO bag, and will chalk it up as listens learned.
I will still leave it in a dark area for now, just incase.

I will be inoculating another grain jar today or tomorrow, and when they are ready, into a shoebox they go. I will give the AIO bags another try in the future, but for now I seem do do better with grain jars.

Hopefully the Tidal Wave will be fruiting by the end of the month.

Tok..
I inoculated my AIO bag the wrong way and it took forever just to start getting mycelium. I don’t think I would give up on it. Or maybe even try inoculating it again. Good luck Tok. CL🍀. :thumb: :goodluck:

While doing some reading I came across this and thought it might be helpful.

Tok..

How to Store your Mushrooms: The Complete Guide

Storing magic mushrooms correctly will extend their shelf life and help retain their potency over time. Therefore, knowing the best storage method is essential, especially if you have just harvested a bumper crop. Knowing how to store mushrooms is also useful if you have some in your possession but aren’t ready to take them yet.

Fortunately, there are many ways to store mushrooms, many of which involve minimal equipment and effort. So, how long are shrooms good for, and what is the best preservation method? Let’s dive in.

Do Magic Mushrooms Go Bad?

Like most natural products, magic mushrooms can expire if they are not stored properly. In some cases, they may simply lose some of their potency if they hang around for a long time. Although this is not ideal, it is not really a disaster either.

However, if the mushrooms develop mold or bacterial contamination, using them could become a health risk. Therefore, it is critical to store them well to prevent this from happening.

In general, the factors that lead to rapid deterioration and possible contamination are:

Oxygen
Moisture
Heat
UV light

Therefore, it is best to keep the mushrooms somewhere airtight, dry, cool, and dark.

The most appropriate storage method will depend on whether the mushrooms are fresh or dried. This will also determine how long it is possible to keep them before use. For example, fresh mushrooms will last just a few days in the refrigerator. However, dried mushrooms could last for a year or more.

Why Do Shrooms Expire So Quickly?

Fresh mushrooms consist of 80–90% water. This means they can quickly become slimy and mushy, attracting mold or bacterial growth. It is always best to consume fresh mushrooms within a few days of harvesting. However, this is not always possible, especially if the mushrooms contain psilocybin!

Therefore, many people choose to dry their magic mushrooms and save them for later. Doing so increases their shelf life significantly by removing moisture and decreasing the risk of contamination. Drying mushrooms also makes dosing far more accurate and is well worth the extra effort.

Storing Fresh Magic Mushrooms vs. Dried Magic Mushrooms

Fresh mushrooms should be kept in a refrigerator and consumed as soon as possible after harvesting. They will keep for a maximum of 5–7 days. In general, larger mushrooms will keep longer than small ones, and whole mushrooms longer than sliced ones. Fresh truffles in unopened packaging can last for 2–3 months in the refrigerator.

When storing fresh magic mushrooms, remove excess moisture before placing them in a brown paper bag in the refrigerator. Try not to handle or bruise them too much, as this can reduce their potency.

Do not wrap mushrooms in plastic or place them in the crisper compartment, as this reduces air circulation and increases the rate of deterioration. Check the mushrooms before consumption and discard any that have become slimy, mushy, or smelly.

Dried mushrooms keep for much longer than fresh, provided they are appropriately stored. In some cases, they could last for several years, although the average is 12–18 months. It is also worth knowing that they may begin to lose potency after around six months of storage.

Because of the significant increase in shelf life, we recommend drying mushrooms unless you intend to consume them immediately. Here have explained some of the best storage methods in the next section.

How to Store Shrooms: Everything You Need to Know

Below, we have listed our favorite methods of storing shrooms, from what we consider the simplest to the most complicated. Please note that it is best to use dried mushrooms for all these storage solutions to maximize shelf life and potency.

1. Mason Jars

Storing mushrooms in airtight Mason jars is probably the easiest way to prevent them from going bad. Simply place the mushrooms in the jar with a desiccant (for example, a food-grade silica packet) and screw the lid on tightly. For the best results, you should use brown Mason jars to block UV light, but clear jars are acceptable, providing you keep them somewhere dark.

The mushrooms should keep for up to one year using this storage method. Label the jar with the date you put them into storage so you can keep track.

2. Ziplock Bags

Ziplock bags are another popular method of storing mushrooms long-term. They work similarly to Mason jars; by minimizing oxygen exposure. Place the mushrooms in a bag with a desiccant, squeeze out the excess air, and seal tightly. Many people like to place the bag inside a Mason jar for an additional layer of protection. The mushrooms should keep for up to one year.

3. Freezing

It is also possible to store dried mushrooms in Ziplock bags in the freezer to extend their shelf life almost indefinitely. Spread them in a single layer on a tray and place them in the freezer overnight. Then transfer the frozen mushrooms into bags and store for up to 10 years.

Note that you should not freeze fresh mushrooms as it damages their cell membranes and reduces potency.

4. Mushroom Honey

Shroom honey, or blue honey, is easy to prepare and makes ingestion far more enjoyable than chewing on a spoonful of plain mushrooms.

For the best results, grind the dried mushrooms to a coarse powder and place them in a Mason jar. Pour over enough honey (raw honey is best) to cover them by at least half an inch, and screw the lid on tightly.

Store the shroom honey in a cool, dark cupboard for up to 18 months. Check the honey regularly for signs of mold.

5. Mushroom Chocolate

Infusing mushrooms into chocolate helps them keep for longer and makes them a pleasure to consume.

Grind the dried mushrooms and stir them evenly into slightly cooled, melted chocolate. Dark chocolate is best because it has a longer shelf life and is healthier too. Pour the melted chocolate into molds and allow to set before wrapping each piece in foil and storing them in the refrigerator.

This storage method ensures the mushrooms stay good right up until the chocolate’s use-by date. You can also store the chocolates in the freezer to extend the shelf life further.

6. Capsules

Capsules are a convenient way to take mushrooms, especially for people interested in microdosing. They are also a fantastic storage method.

You can purchase empty capsule shells online and fill them using a capsule-filling machine or by hand. To fill capsules by hand, fold a small piece of paper in half and use the crease as a funnel.

Grind the mushrooms to a fine powder and use a digital scale to measure the required dosage. It is important to fill the capsules as much as possible to reduce oxygen exposure. If your dose leaves a lot of space in the capsule, mix it with a filler such as brown rice bran.

Store the capsules in an airtight jar along with a desiccant for up to one year. You can also keep the capsules in the freezer for up to 10 years.

Storing Magic Mushrooms: Summary

Drying and storing magic mushrooms can extend their shelf life and help retain their potency for many months or years. It also ensures you can take your mushrooms at a time that suits you rather than rushing to consume them while fresh.

For the best results, dry the mushrooms and get them into storage as soon as possible after harvesting. Keep them in an airtight container somewhere dark, dry, and cool to reduce the risk of deterioration and contamination.

Finally, please remember that psilocybin possession and use are still illegal in most areas. It is the reader’s responsibility to research and comply with their local laws and consume magic mushrooms responsibly.

Good Morning 420 Magazine todays mushroom update.

The grain jar I inoculated on 12-29 is coming along nicely building mycelium growth.

Tok..
That grain spawn is looking great.

Back
Top Bottom